Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

CovrPrice vs. GoCollect vs. ComicsPriceGuide12775

Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Which online site should I use for valuing my books?

I want a site where I can keep track of my books (both graded and raw) and get automatic updated prices. I think prices based on actual sales (eBay, Heritage, Overstreet, etc.) would be the most accurate. I don’t want to overpay…or under price when I trade. Most of my collection is Silver Age.

I have been using ComicsPriceGuide for $45/year. It has a nice mobile app on iPhone and iPad.

CovrPrice has a nice slick design. Not a paid subscriber there yet.

I hear GoCollect only does graded books. Most of my collection is raw.

I also hear about ComicBookRealm GPA, Watchcount and Nostomania but haven’t checked them out yet.

Gentlemen, what do you use? What is your recommendation and why?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I use go collect and eBay solds for raw
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Joyed private msg quote post Address this user
I also use ebay and go collect.
I use CLZ Comics to catalog my comics. If you edit a book you will see 3options at the top Main,Personal & Value. In the value section you can input the grade. CLZ uses gocollect for pricing. When you press done, if the book has data for sales it will populate with current pricing for that grade. CLZ Comics is a great program to catalog your comics.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Also you can use zap kappa. They do regular updates on pricing and are up to date. Check it out. You may like it. There is a charge, but if you are going to join, use the premium membership. It gives you and added option to use your phone camera to search.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Sorry
ZapKapow......
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice - So much competition in this space now! That's a good thing for the hobby.

When deciding, evaluate who can truly provide what meets your personal collecting needs, at a reasonable price. Some of these membership rates are getting out of hand.

Many services do a few things really well, but other things not so well.

For example, some gloss over it but really are not comprehensive - meaning they will most likely not be able to support all titles/issues in a larger collection. Many do not have true pricing algorithms - some clearly just seeded with Overstreet and then tweak occasionally. Some take averages of actual sales - that's much better, but leaves a big hole and a big problem - if no sales, no value estimates.

I also recommend, at least temporarily, using at least two services to compare and contrast - e.g. who really gives you the best value estimate for your collection? They should allow you to export and import your data (with some massaging likely needed, understandably).

A lot of people here say eBay sold items, keep in mind those vanish after a short time and the best services harvest that data, retain it, and present it in a cleaner form. It's a valid point though - show me the items that actually sold, on eBay - the proof is in the pudding.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I noticed gocollect do not grade any comics that are ss.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
I noticed gocollect do not grade any comics that are ss.

If you have a subscription to Go Collect, you can use the Analyzer feature and select CGC Signiture Series and/or CBCS Verified and/or Authentic Signature and get sold prices for those issues only.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector crystalphoto private msg quote post Address this user
I use Comics Price Guide, and have for years. I am satisfied with it. Even if I wasn't, I wouldn't want to re-enter all these books...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I also noticed that most reg covers are the same price as virgin covers.( Grummett Old Man Logan #25 reg color 2nd printing $80.b&w virgin edition $80 and color virgin 2nd print $42)Little strange.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using Comics Price Guide for a few years. The values can be off but I've started to contribute issue data for UK and Canadian price variants. I noticed that they are starting to break out newsstand and direct edition on some titles. As for values of books on the site, I don't know if the admin does a pull every so often and updates it or what. Overall, I like it because I can also upload a scan of my copy for books in my collection.

I can't speak much to the others, but my friend uses CLZ and he likes it a lot.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
I use GoCollect for my slabs, and have enjoyed the recent CLZ integration there for the most part. I used to use CPG, and at some point a few years ago I dropped my membership there and started using comicbookrealm.com - I honestly can't remember why at this point. I do enjoy comicbookrealm.com's reporting features, especially their "on the move" report, which highlights any issues in your collection that have had value changes on their site in the past 30 days (up or down), and also lets you see 30 days of changes across all issues they track. The values are as accurate/inaccurate as anything else, but my main goal is to track general relative values across my issues, and notable changes. When I specifically look to sell something (or buy something), I reference ebay and other sites, but always come back to what my requirements are - someone has to actually pay the price, and I know how much time and money I'm willing to sacrifice to sell issue/run/slab X.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I use GPA.
Post 13 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I've found that the easiest and quickest way to keep track of
my collections value is NOSTOMANIA. They offer the current
value of both raw (uncertified) and graded titles for over
18,500 comics. In addition, they offer recent sales trends,
pricing history and current demand.
My current collection list contains over 1,456 titles at a
truly surprising value...and I've been pleased to post quite
a few images of my books on the site.

Marty
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector kon_jelly private msg quote post Address this user
Count me in as another that uses CLZ for keeping track of my collection and GoCollect + Ebay for keeping track of value. I've been a paying member of GoCollect for a while now and really like their system.

I have used CovrPrice in the past, but the site is a bit bloated and slow for my tastes. I will occasionally check a price there using the free tier, but it's rare enough that I haven't felt the need to upgrade. I've thought about ZapKapow, but unless I've missed it there's no way to try out the site before paying for it. Even though it's not a lot of money, I don't really want to pay for something that I can't at least see a part of in action.

Nostomania is new to me, but looks interesting.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using CPG for a number of years now and I'm satisfied with it. The prices aren't always as up to date as I would like but it appears it's all user submitted and then vetted by them. I always submit when I see something fairly off but it's usually close.
My primary use of it is as a database because I have over 9k books. The price guide is just a big bonus.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using CLZ and GoCollect. I've tried CovrPrice and Nostomania. In my opinion, both CovrPrice and Nostomania are extremely slow when trying to upload a new collection. I prefer the app through CLZ, and I like GoCollect's monitoring of slabbed sales.

I think CovrPrice is reasonably accurate with raw prices, and I like how it tracks raw and slabbed data. Nostomania, in the little bit that I've used it, is way off in value, at least when it comes to slabbed books. I listed a Batman #608 2nd print graded at 9.4 by CGC and it listed the value at $20.80. Average sale for that grade on GoCollect is between $150 to $200. So there's that.

I think in the long run, CLZ and GoCollect together will continue to improve their data and will start tracking raw sales at some point, too. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

I haven't checked out CPG, so I may have to give that a try, too.
Post 17 IP   flag post
601352 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?