Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC LOL
Post 26 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Ooops..forgot about the tiebreaker!!! Call it 96??

God..no CFL this year....slow 4 down ball here I come!!
Can honestly say I didn't know some of these cities had teams - are Flutie and Moon still playing?

LOL!!! I hate to tell you this, but Moon was a quarterback for the Vikings LAST CENTURY!!!

I know you are just having fun, but when I saw Moon's name, I got a good laugh!! I hope I was able to give you one back in return!!

Warren Moon is in the CFL hall of fame!!! Played for the Packers..oops..Edmonton Eskimos from 78 to 83....then joined the Edmonton Oilers...nope wrong sport....Houston Oilers!!!

Won the Grey Cup 5 times!! May have had 50k passing yards in NFL but he also had 17k from the CFL!

Was too young to really know who Moon was in the CFL but loved him in the NFL

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
So KC won the opener... nobody saw that coming😉! I am both disappointed and outraged to hear that they are trying to put an end to KC fans doing the “tomahawk chop” and wearing garb such as native headdresses to the games. Washington should have never given an inch to these haters. They will only try to take more. The NFL has made a huge mistake by politicizing football. The fans were right to strongly voice their disapproval at all the pre-game nonsense. They blatantly and intentionally placed race before country and then made a call for “unity”. I found the entire episode to be political and highly divisive. I had pretty much resigned myself to not going to any games this year, but I am now giving serious consideration to never going to another game again if they continue down this path. I may only buy a couple grand a year worth of tickets for myself, my friends and my family, but I bet there are a lot of other people who feel the same way. Politics should have never, ever been made a part of football.

To the Canadian contingent: I am interested if anyone is calling for the Edmonton Eskimos to change their name for “inappropriate cultural appropriation”?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
To the Canadian contingent: I am interested if anyone is calling for the Edmonton Eskimos to change their name for “inappropriate cultural appropriation”?

Reports: Edmonton CFL club will drop 'Eskimos' name from July. It was quiet in terms of publicity. Last I saw, the team was keeping the name. Didn't take long for that decision to reverse course.
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

Reports: Edmonton CFL club will drop 'Eskimos' name from July. It was quiet in terms of publicity. Last I saw, the team was keeping the name. Didn't take long for that decision to reverse course.

I heard about this....I understand they are trying to keep the "iconic" EE logo so I believe the new name will begin with an E.
Post 30 IP   flag post

The Edmonton Elephants?
The Edmonton Elves?

Wait... I’ve got it! ... The Edmonton Edmontonians! At least no one will be able to accuse them of appropriating someone else’s culture!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Seeing as how Canada still accepts the British monarchy, why not the Edmonton Empire? They could use a symbol for the British crown.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Some interesting news in Detroit yesterday: the Lions picked up Adrian Peterson off waivers and signed him to a one year deal

@michaelekrupp Since we apparently live in a nation with thin skin and long memories, it may be better if you just refer to Detroit as "The Football Team from Detroit". The Lion mascot can be traumatizing and offensive to people of the Christian faith. There is a bad history of interaction with Lions in the early days of Christianity. Maybe a trigger warning at least next time?
Post 33 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller Not just the Christians, but Lions everywhere probably find the name offensive. How dare we appropriate animal culture that way! If the animal rights groups get started there won’t be any team names left! Maybe we should just cave in now and change all the team’s names to “football team” so nobody can possibly be offended?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Well, the way the Detroit Lions play, it's an embarrassment to associate them with the king of the beasts. Same goes for the Bengals and Jaguars. There is, or was, a push for the 49ers to change their name too. Apparently, not behaving in a manner befitting modern society is a detriment to people who lived more than 100 years ago. How dare they not conform their behavior to a 2020 standard?! They should have thought about what would be socially acceptable in the future and worked to be perfect.
Post 35 IP   flag post
The Pack is just DECIMATING the Vikes!!!! It's downright painful!!!
Post 36 IP   flag post
I had to work this weekend so I'm just turning the games on. I could follow the box scores when I was working. Rodgers looks good in the 2nd half. Looked pretty defensive in the first.

Raiders vs Panthers looks pretty entertaining.

Browns getting embarrassed. Always a good time.

Washington came storming back on the Eagles.
Post 37 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O I feel your pain. The Lions blew another huge lead in the fourth quarter and dropped an easy touchdown pass in the end zone that would have won the game with 10 seconds left. So sick of this shit😕.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I saw enough from Burrow to be optimistic about his future. We just need to put a line in front of him. We kept Randy Bullock when we could have kept the guy who boots 60 yarders for the Eagles.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I had to work this weekend so I'm just turning the games on. I could follow the box scores when I was working. Rodgers looks good in the 2nd half. Looked pretty defensive in the first.

Raiders vs Panthers looks pretty entertaining.

Browns getting embarrassed. Always a good time.

Washington came storming back on the Eagles.

That was a real shocker for me. Washington/Dwane Haskins really needed this win! New coach, young team, plus a young QB (who was used unfairly last season - IMO) who gets to start this season opener and play the duration... taking the team from a 17 point deficit and winning the game with 27 unanswered points. The Football Team really needed this win... especially the way it played out.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder glad your guys got the win!
Post 41 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Pre_Coder glad your guys got the win!

GO REDSKINS!!!

Post 42 IP   flag post
After watching the TV broadcast of yesterday’s Lions game I feel a little bit less like this is going to be a lost season. There actually were several positive takeaways. Firstly, Adrian Peterson was the best player on the field yesterday! He is SO exactly what the Lions need! If they have any sense Detroit will immediately start building the running game around him. As he learns more of the offense he is only going to get better. He still has the burst, vision and toughness that make him a first ballot hall of famer. Picking up Peterson at the last minute is going to pay huge dividends for the Lions this season.

I was also very impressed with the play of some of the rookie class, in particular WR Quintez Cephus and punter Jack Fox. Both of these guys are future studs. I did notice that without WR1 Kenny Golladay in the lineup the Lions had a distinct lack of height at the position. Putting Cephus, Marvin Jones and Danny Amendola out there against taller CBs (who were brought in to defend against the likes of Golladay in this division) takes away Stafford’s ability to put the ball up high and let his man go up and get it. This is hopefully a short term issue, however, as Golladay is expected to return next week.

The defense started off strong but suffered late in the game after both starting CBs left with injuries (third overall pick Jeff Okudah was already declared out before the game)and MLB Jamie Collins foolishly got himself ejected. Even Mitch Trubisky can look good when he is basically throwing against special teamers in the fourth quarter. What I found most disturbing was the continuing lack of pressure on the quarterback. To have success this year this MUST be addressed. It doesn’t seem to matter what players they bring in or who is the defensive coordinator, this is the Lions biggest weakness. If they cannot get this fixed soon it will (and should)cost Patricia his job.

A couple of general observations: it was flat out WEIRD to listen to a game on the radio with no crowd noise. For the TV broadcast they added artificial noise, which also felt unnatural, but on the radio you could hear the players, coaches and officials between plays. Definitely a different experience. Also I did notice some of the cardboard cut-outs on the end zone shots. I don’t think they doubled any up as there weren’t that many. I don’t know if this is true or not but I was told that for $1000 they will put a cardboard cut out of you by the tunnel where the players come out. Capitalism at its finest!

I really stunk it up on the picks this week! I am already -6 with two games to go. I noticed a couple of you guys actually called the (to me) stunning upset wins by Washington and Arizona. Kudos to the bold and brilliant who made those picks!

Looking forward to tonight’s action.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The crowd noise being placed into the game was disconcerting. It took away from the game. I watched some of the Saints game and they had a call that went against them. The crowd cheered. That wouldn't have happened if the crowd was there. Drew Brees even commented on how quiet it was during the game in his post game interview. It didn't sound that way on TV. BTW, I enjoyed not having to listen to the music that the different stadiums play to jack up their crowds before the kick off, and coming in and out of commercials.

I would like to watch the game with no noise. That way we could hear the office and the defense making adjustments. I think it would add something to the game. BTW, I am old enough to remember the experiment of no announcers in the 1980's. I'm not writing about taking them out of the game. Just play the game with the sounds on the field the way they are and not piped in.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch!

Rough week!
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I believe these are the final scores and @GAC is the winner but it's best to double check:

studley dudley 10
flanders 9
michaelekrupp 10
cbpi 10
pre coder 8
steveinthecity 6
jabberwookie 10
Jesse 0 6
zdoes10 12
Lonestar 11
GAC 13 ------ Winner!
KatComics 7

Canada 1-0
USA 0-1
Post 46 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations to GAC and good luck To all for next week.

My cowboys let me down (again ), but there is hope for next week.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Congrats GAC!!

@flanders thanks for tallying up all the entries!!
Post 48 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
LOL!! I know absolutely nothing about football! All my choices were guesses. I can guarantee this will not be repeated.....but this is alot of fun!
Post 49 IP   flag post
601333 49 24
This topic is archived. Start new topic?