Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Week 1 NFL 2020 picks and discussion thread.12770

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Rules are pretty simple: make your picks before kickoff of the first game, make sure to put in your points guess for the Monday night game(s), person with most wins each week wins. Tiebreaker is Monday night points. I'll post each weeks picks by noon (CST) on Tuesdays.

Good luck to everyone!!! Let's have some fun!!!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Already that confident!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Since I didn't win a week last year I'm going to start considering not being in last place each week a personal victory.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Does the winner get a free grading submission?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I am 100% guessing this week. Hopefully I get lucky šŸ™‚.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cbpi private msg quote post Address this user

Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Green Bay / Minnesota
I had difficulty with this pick. I'm going Vikings only because it's a home game for them, and Cousins is going to come out firing.

Philadelphia / Washington
Washington will spend this season trying to figure out who they are... and what they are. I can't ever recall a pro sports organization in such disarray. Really sad for me because I've been a hardcore Redskins fan since the early 70s.

Las Vegas / Carolina
I'm going Viva Las Vegas for their debut... even away from home.

Tampa Bay / New Orleans
I believe this will be the upset game. I'm not a Tom Brady fan, but everybody knows he is a very serious competitor. He began digging his heels in deep at Tampa early, and was no doubt instrumental in having Gronk signed on. Tampa, probably not playoff bound, but a team to take very serious.

Dallas / Rams

Tennessee / Denver
Last season when the Titans hit the playoffs, I said they were on a mission and would go all the way... they flubbed at the end. They will take their frustration out on Denver.

EDIT: My strategy this season is to lose more gracefully.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I think the Bucs are going to be fun to watch. Brady has been chucking it deep in practice and I think he missed doing that with some of the WRs he had in NE. He's a gamer though, and he'll expect and demand that his teammates raise their level of play to succeed. They may not be a playoff team this season, but with Brady and Arians it should be entertaining.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user

Tough choices this week!

I'll catch a lot of grief for being a Cowboys fan, but I'm hoping they can make some noise this year.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Changing my pick from the Dolphins to NE .
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hereā€™s something interesting: as you may or may not know they are not having fans at the games in Detroit this year so far (the first two home games for sure, the rest are to be determined). So, being a regular purchaser of tickets, I got an email from the Lions offering for me to send a picture to them of which they will make a cardboard cutout and place it in the standsšŸ¤Ø. There is, of course, a fee ( if I remember right it was $50 for a game or $125 for the season). On top of that, you donā€™t get to pick your seat and the best seats are sure to fill up fast.šŸ¤Ø Now, I love my Lions, but there is no way I am going to pay them $50 to not go to the game! I have to wonder how many people are crazy enough to actually do this?!? I guess we will see next Sunday.šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Post 12 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp you must not watch hockey or baseball. Both sports have been doing that. The best one that I saw was Bernie from "Weekend with Bernie". I'll see if I can find a pic.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Sorry, "Weekend at Bernie's". There has been Darth Vader, I think Waldo was at one, etc. People are having fun with it!!!

Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O and people actually pay for the privilege? Crazy! I canā€™t help wondering how many of them are doubles. Like the recent DNC when they would go to the split screen with around 20 different virtual viewers and three or four of the screens were identical. This is definitely going to be the weirdest season ever! Oh, and I loved ā€œWeekend at Bernieā€™sā€. It may have been a one joke movie, but it was a funny jokešŸ˜‚.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I think that at the start of 2020 God hit the "Bizzaro Simulator" key on his computer just to see how we humans would respond to waking up in Bizarro world.
Post 17 IP   flag post
KFC does haircuts now, Wooh Hoo. zdoes10 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 18 IP   flag post
Some interesting news in Detroit yesterday: the Lions picked up Adrian Peterson off waivers and signed him to a one year deal. A lot of people are scratching their head at this move, but I like it. He would probably be coming in number three in the depth chart, but given the propensity for injuries at that position he is likely to see some action. I would be satisfied if just once he could go crazy against the Vikings and run all over them like he did against us so many times when he wore the purple. That would be SO satisfying! It will be interesting to see who gets cut to make room for him as the Lions were already keeping an extra RB when they cut down to the 53 man roster. Again, I like the move! If thereā€™s any position you canā€™t have too much depth at it is running back. I know I say this every year but I have a really good feeling about this season.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Upset pick of the week is the Washington Football Team over that great music group from Philly.

Survivor pool pick for week one is San Francisco.
Post 20 IP   flag post
First game of the 2020 season is tonight!!! Get in your picks if you want in this week!!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 22 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Ooops..forgot about the tiebreaker!!! Call it 96??

God..no CFL this year....slow 4 down ball here I come!!
Can honestly say I didn't know some of these cities had teams - are Flutie and Moon still playing?

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Can honestly say I didn't know some of these cities had teams - are Flutie and Moon still playing?

LOL!!! I hate to tell you this, but Moon was a quarterback for the Vikings LAST CENTURY!!!

I know you are just having fun, but when I saw Moon's name, I got a good laugh!! I hope I was able to give you one back in return!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I'm tied for first place!!!!!!!!!
Post 25 IP   flag post
@GAC LOL
Post 26 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

LOL!!! I hate to tell you this, but Moon was a quarterback for the Vikings LAST CENTURY!!!

I know you are just having fun, but when I saw Moon's name, I got a good laugh!! I hope I was able to give you one back in return!!

Warren Moon is in the CFL hall of fame!!! Played for the Packers..oops..Edmonton Eskimos from 78 to 83....then joined the Edmonton Oilers...nope wrong sport....Houston Oilers!!!

Won the Grey Cup 5 times!! May have had 50k passing yards in NFL but he also had 17k from the CFL!

Was too young to really know who Moon was in the CFL but loved him in the NFL

Post 27 IP   flag post
So KC won the opener... nobody saw that comingšŸ˜‰! I am both disappointed and outraged to hear that they are trying to put an end to KC fans doing the ā€œtomahawk chopā€ and wearing garb such as native headdresses to the games. Washington should have never given an inch to these haters. They will only try to take more. The NFL has made a huge mistake by politicizing football. The fans were right to strongly voice their disapproval at all the pre-game nonsense. They blatantly and intentionally placed race before country and then made a call for ā€œunityā€. I found the entire episode to be political and highly divisive. I had pretty much resigned myself to not going to any games this year, but I am now giving serious consideration to never going to another game again if they continue down this path. I may only buy a couple grand a year worth of tickets for myself, my friends and my family, but I bet there are a lot of other people who feel the same way. Politics should have never, ever been made a part of football.

To the Canadian contingent: I am interested if anyone is calling for the Edmonton Eskimos to change their name for ā€œinappropriate cultural appropriationā€?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
To the Canadian contingent: I am interested if anyone is calling for the Edmonton Eskimos to change their name for ā€œinappropriate cultural appropriationā€?

Reports: Edmonton CFL club will drop 'Eskimos' name from July. It was quiet in terms of publicity. Last I saw, the team was keeping the name. Didn't take long for that decision to reverse course.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp

Reports: Edmonton CFL club will drop 'Eskimos' name from July. It was quiet in terms of publicity. Last I saw, the team was keeping the name. Didn't take long for that decision to reverse course.

I heard about this....I understand they are trying to keep the "iconic" EE logo so I believe the new name will begin with an E.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601455 49 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?