Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

Advice on Shipping Comics from Continental Europe to CBCS12743

Collector absavior private msg quote post Address this user
Dear all,

I am looking into submitting my first books to CBCS. Due to this pandemic all of this needs to be planned a bit more than usual.... thefore I have to ask the clients from continental Europe what was their experience? By continental Europe I mean just that - Europe without UK (therefore EU countries).

I am especially interested in understanding how long does this procedure takes and what shipping services have you used, especially since USPS seems to have lots of issues today.

So:

- What additional costs I should expect?
- How long does this take - with pressing or without pressing?
- Are there new import taxes when books are sent back to the original owners?
- What happens if some of the sent books skyrocket in value until they are received by CBCS? (will they be moved to the upper bracket and CBCS will bill me separately or they will remain on the same bill?)

Thanks a lot!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Not from outside USA, but if you are dealing with customer's books, I highly suggest you find a local presser first. If you decide to go with pressing with CBCS, at least spring for fast press. The wait is long. There is no guaranteed turn around. Estimates are through the roof currently.

In terms of book value, it is primarily to insure your books and put you in right bracket. If you are reasonable in your assessment you should be fine. I sincerely doubt that CBCS is sitting there with a price guide looking up value of books. But if you are trying to skirt a hulk 181 mint book for 500$ you are doing yourself the disservice on insurance in the event things go wrong.

Edit

I recently submitted books for pressing to CBCS, because I can afford to wait and their work is very good.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for your assessment!

I do not think there is any comic book pressing service in the DACH (Germany-Austria-Switzerland) space and it doesn't really make sense to send the books for pressing in UK and then send them to US from there.

I will definitely try to use 2-Day Modern for pressing and grading books that are worth more than 300-400$ - otherwise I will probably go for Modern for both when value of the book is smaller and I can wait. I think the higher the value of the books the more likely it is that you will use one of the faster tiers (e.g., 2-Day Modern, Quickstream, Rapid, 1-Day).

The billing at different times (e.g., one bill for pressing, another bill for grading, another bill for shipping) is also something that worries me and I really need some guidance on this - in the end if I'm hit with some 200$ bill out of nowhere I'd rather know that in advance a bit. It would all be much easier if all these bills will be collected in a two-stage process only: 1) one bill when you submit and 2) second bill with price differences when books are sent back to you.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@absavior

Just be mindful that you are talking months if not more even with fast pressing. Pressing times is the one thing I wish CBCS was more clear on when submitting.

As for billing, I believe you only get hit with one shipping fee if you put it all on one invoice. Granted you have to wait for all your books to be completed before shipping. That should save on postal fees, but again be forewarned that people are waiting like 6 months or more on pressing. (I do not know exact number so I could be mistaken) So fast pressing is only theoretically cutting it in half.

As for your other questions, I apologize but I'm not well versed enough to give any real insight to assist.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks a lot @Bronte.

I think the shipping questions can only be answered by people from Europe.

The last question is more of a question that needs to be answered by CBCS staff. In the end these fast movements of books like UF #4, Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Man Noir #1, Marvel Point One #1 or even the recent uprising of Black Panther #2 (2005)(first Shuri) due to the death of Chadwick Boseman are events that you can't predict. However, let's suppose I have sent a Black Panther #2 for grading a month ago. When I was initially billed it was still a 350$ book in 9.8, whereas now it's at 1000$... Now if I evaluated it even as a 9.6 it would've been a 200$ book, but now it's 500$... So well that unpredictable event on Friday moved the FMV a bit higer. By the time it gets in the grader's office after the pressing it could be even more. This in and of itself tells us grading companies need to move a lot faster. In fact with these fast movements it is even possible that going through all the 4 stages: 1) subsmission and shipping from client; 2) pressing; 3) grading and 4) shipping... in 3 of them (e.g., submission, pressing and grading) the value of the item may end up being different each time... which I think it would create problems for both the grading company (e.g., pricing consistency) and for the client (e.g., higher bills). Obviously it is okay that the book will be worth more and the client will be happy even if it pays more. However, corrections happen also pretty fast today (it is all an ebay bots game), therefore again your books might be moved to a higher tier, but when you receive them they're in a lower tier. These kind of movements can therefore cause also unpleasant suprises. The grading companies themselves can be accused of keeping the books longer in order to profit from such movements; but then again also by keeping the books longer they may also lose value.

So in light of all these fast movements in prices - I feel this question is worth answering. Particularly since for overseas clients this is something that can definitely happen even for recent modern books like Something is Killing The Children #1, Strange Academy #1, Thor #5, Venom #3 and so on...which have shown continuous strong growth.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Nchatzi7 private msg quote post Address this user
I shipped an order to CBCS sometime in may, the package took about 1,5 month to reach CBCS office (due to the epidemic though). After that the comics that I send for simple grading, no other service, took about 2,5 months to get graded. I had a return of the wolverine 2, the moebius variant which came as a 9,8. When I submitted that it was going for around 700, now last one sold for 400..
Sometimes you benefit and sometimes you don’t. All in all shipping from Europe to the states has become more troublesome now if you ask me..I am shipping from Athens - Greece.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600630 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?