Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Fantastic Four #5, to slab or not...12734

Collector MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
I have this ratty old Fantastic Four #5. I guess it is a 1.0 grade (opinions please). Has chunks out, tears, folds, subscription crease, pen mark, tape, you name it. It is complete and essentially readable, however. Should I slab it? It has some value, even in this condition (I paid $5 for it in the 1960s). If I submit, will they unfold the folds, etc. and try to present it at its best? Should I press it, or press screen? Your expert advice please...


Post 1 IP   flag post
Thick Skinned OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Sure, why not?


Post 2 IP   flag post
TRA LA LA esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice - it’s valuable and putting it in a slab would be a way to preserve it, so yes, get it graded.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Please post photos.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Photo added. If I press, do they just squish it, or to they try to arrange it (folds, etc.) so it shows as good as it can? That about the tape? I have only pressed one submission for a non-color break crease on a Hulk 181. I need the benefit of y'alls experience. Thanks!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
I have this ratty old Fantastic Four #5. I guess it is a 1.0 grade (opinions please). Has chunks out, tears, folds, subscription crease, pen mark, tape, you name it. It is complete and essentially readable, however. Should I slab it? It has some value, even in this condition. If I submit, will they unfold the folds, etc. and try to present it at its best?


Press and slab!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thick Skinned OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
So pieces missing, detached cover, possible tape on cover. Hopefully nothing missing that affects the story. But hay, Doom only comes around once for a first time.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, press and slab. the press won't improve grade but it will improve the visual aesthetic.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Slab away
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Do it. This is a great book no matter what grade. Putting it in a slab ensures preservation of this awesome book. I do love mine. Former 4.0 CGC, and currently *drum roll* CBCS 4.5.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few .5 and 1.0’s, but none are as cool as that. Absolutely, lock in the grade and condition. Press for sure.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't press, condition is too poor to make much of a difference, but I would certainly slab it!
One of my grails to get someday!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I would inquire if a press is safe, but being in a slab and letting people know there is no resto is a big plus for this book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS President & Comic Cover Connoisseur sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice Doubt that it is worth the $ to press. Worth grading though....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I would press to at least get it cleaned. Definitely slab itπŸ‘πŸ»

PS. I’ll give you $10 and you double you money right nowπŸ˜‰
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I have to agree that you are just wasting time and money with any pressing. It might actually do more harm than good.

Absolutely have it slabbed though
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I would press to at least get it cleaned. Definitely slab itπŸ‘πŸ»

PS. I’ll give you $10 and you double you money right nowπŸ˜‰


I'd even be nervous with a dry clean. The paper doesn't look very supple, and friction of any kind could harm it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I do forget about that...sometimes a book is too fragile for a press. The presser should be able to tell you if the book can withstand a press.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I do forget about that...sometimes a book is too fragile for a press. The presser should be able to tell you if the book can withstand a press.

Just choose an honest presser, and not the "press EVERYTHING" kind.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I do forget about that...sometimes a book is too fragile for a press. The presser should be able to tell you if the book can withstand a press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I do forget about that...sometimes a book is too fragile for a press. The presser should be able to tell you if the book can withstand a press.

Just choose an honest presser, and not the "press EVERYTHING" kind.


I forget this isn’t common knowledge. Yes choose a reputable presser. Avery and CBCS will not press/clean a book that could be damaged in the process.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I would have it pressed. How would you like to be buried in a wrinkled suit?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
How would you like to be buried in a wrinkled suit?


Probably a better fate than what they have planned for me.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Familiarity does breed contempt.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I would have it pressed. How would you like to be buried in a wrinkled suit?


lol!!!!! 🍻
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
I would have it pressed. How would you like to be buried in a wrinkled suit?


That would be my 3rd time wearing my suit ever, high school graduation, wedding day, and death?
Hope I can still fit in it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Guys, I'm still a bit confused. May I have some clear answers on (1) tape, (2) folds and (3) pressing/cleaning for this book?

(1) This book has one piece of spine tape. I presume this will not be removed in pressing. Will pressing melt the tape and make it worse? Is there a way to get the tape removed, but not have it be restoration? Where should I go for that? Is removing the tape on this book worth it? Is it OK to encapsulate with the tape on?

(2) This book has several fold-over defects as you can see, especially at the bottom and spine (not looked at the back). Will CBCS fold those flat before encapsulation? Do I have to handle the book and try to do it myself (do not want)? Does CBCS just encapsulate the book 'as-is' with folds where they are? Book would present a lot better with these little folds repositioned with some care. What to do?

(3) Sounds like pressing is not merely a heated flat press. Is there some kind of cleaning that occurs? I suspect this book would present a bit brighter with some careful cleaning. @Sborock rightly said that book probably would not pick up any grade via pressing. I agree with him, but might pay the cost just to have a bit better looking book. Would it look better? Is potential damage from pressing a factor? What to do?

Thanks in advance. I need the benefit of your experience.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
There's always a risk of damage. You're shipping it all over the place, you're having someone subject it to humidity, dental tools, irons, and heat presses... I would just send it in as is. The book looks like it's missing significant chunks of its cover. It technically should not be able to grade higher than 1.0
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
Guys, I'm still a bit confused. May I have some clear answers on (1) tape, (2) folds and (3) pressing/cleaning for this book?

(1) This book has one piece of spine tape. I presume this will not be removed in pressing. Will pressing melt the tape and make it worse? Is there a way to get the tape removed, but not have it be restoration? Where should I go for that? Is removing the tape on this book worth it? Is it OK to encapsulate with the tape on?

(2) This book has several fold-over defects as you can see, especially at the bottom and spine (not looked at the back). Will CBCS fold those flat before encapsulation? Do I have to handle the book and try to do it myself (do not want)? Does CBCS just encapsulate the book 'as-is' with folds where they are? Book would present a lot better with these little folds repositioned with some care. What to do?

(3) Sounds like pressing is not merely a heated flat press. Is there some kind of cleaning that occurs? I suspect this book would present a bit brighter with some careful cleaning. @Sborock rightly said that book probably would not pick up any grade via pressing. I agree with him, but might pay the cost just to have a bit better looking book. Would it look better? Is potential damage from pressing a factor? What to do?

Thanks in advance. I need the benefit of your experience.


Tape will not be removed during pressing and an experienced presser will know how to handle that. I have a couple of books with a little tape from both CGC and CBCS with a Universal label. its ok to encapsulate with tape. you can chance trying to remove the tape but I wouldn't.


If the book is pressed, the presser will flatten the pages the way they need to be before pressing. in other words, the pages will be put the way they're supposed to. Without a press, I'm pretty sure they would unfold the pages for encapsulation.


When pressing, the book gets cleaned as well. there is always a risk of damaging a book. a presser may reject a book if he feels theres a significant chance at damaging the book. A press would make this book present better in my opinion but will likely do nothing to improve the grade. I personally would get the book pressed but the big man himself said its probably not a good idea so you might want to take his advice on that.

If I'm wrong on any of what I typed above please let me know.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you gentlemen, book is on its way to CBCS with pressing requested (worth it to me if they just cleaned it a bit.) Will post the 'after' when I get it back. For those interested, I would consider a trade. Cheers.
Post 29 IP   flag post
385627 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?