Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector dwilton27 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I bought a collection and a majority of the comics have them. Would this be called a spine roll? How does it affect the grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Thats from sitting in a box for too long with other comics pressed against it. Easily removed with the most minor of pressing.
One thing I found over the years if you are going to bag and board them and put in long or short boxes turn them face to face in box, that way all the spines aren't lined up on one side. Helps prevent this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dwilton27 - Welcome to the forums. From your picture, I am not seeing a spine roll. Here's a scan of a book I own with a spine roll. Notice how the white area along the vertical line at the spine changes thickness and is wider on the top than at the bottom of the book. Also look at the top right corner and you should see the book is not closing with the corners aligned.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Hi,

Is there a name for this?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Stacking curl
Post 5 IP   flag post
Awesome thank you for the help. How much would this affect the grade?
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
No idea how it would affect the grade, unfortunately a lot of grading guides omit things like this.
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Stacking curl

Yep.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilton27
Awesome thank you for the help. How much would this affect the grade?

Get it pressed out or just stack the books in the opposite direction and let them sit for a while... preferably bagged and boarded with a heavy weight (thick book) on them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
No idea how it would affect the grade, unfortunately a lot of grading guides omit things like this.

It is but it isn't really a defect per se. Non-color breaking creases get hit harder than a stacking curl. If the books are going to be submitted for grading, I would certainly submit them for a press before hand.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector JohnnyDropkicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Stacking curl

FINALLY! STACKING CURL! I knew This type of flaw was different than a spine roll but never knew what to call it. If I was selling a book that had this flaw, I would just have to describe what it was and why it's there. Not anymore! STACKING CURL!

I own the latest edition (which is the 2014 edition) "Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics" and certain flaws like these are not described or given a name. And they don't really articulate spine flaws very well either. To me, there are 5 other possible spine flaws other than a split, a roll or a stacking curl and they each have 4-5 distinguishing characteristics. I won't go into their characteristics right now, but the flaws are:

1. Spine Bump
2. Spine Tick (or spine ding. Same thing)
3. (Spine) Stress Line
4. Spine Bend
5. Spine Crease

What do those terms mean to you? -- Especially #1 and #2. Numbers 3-5 have a somewhat loose definition attached to them, but what are the differences that make them different?

Anyway, STACKING CURL! Heck yes. Thank you.

-JK
Post 11 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
since stacking curl is not clearly defined; when I see it I tell myself spine roll. Both are fixed with a press and I can give myself a grade estimate without guessing on the curl.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597963 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?