Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Staples issues on Something Is Killing The Children12719

Collector absavior private msg quote post Address this user
I am going through my collection to identify what books I can submit for grading and writing down all the defects / errors I am finding. In some cases however I can't find any guidelines on the published Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics or on the grading guides published by CBCS / CGC on their pages, therefore I have to ask about this.

I have a Something is Killing The Children #1 which has a staple defect / error that runs through half the book. Essentially lower staples were pushed too hard and they left a puncture mark through half the pages. It is not clear what kind of grade I am looking at in this situation? There's virtually no mention of such issues in grades over 8.0 anywhere, as if it isn't possible for a book to have only this issue. Otherwise a NM+ copy.

I attach the picture - as it can be seen there's an additional extremely tiny hole, but noticeable when shot from a certain angle (there were supposed to be only two holes from staples, not three).

I have many copies of the book and different variants (normal cover, Jenny Frison, Jae Lee) and this defect appears in half the copies I own. I assume the issue is therefore larger and maybe even well-known.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Beeda private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't noticed that defect in my copies, but haven't looked for it. I've had 4 number ones come back at 9.8 though.

Currently I have 3 copies and just checked, they all have this defect.

Curious to hear from other people on the issue. I also have two issues being signed by Tynion right now, but didn't look at this prior.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It is similar with me. I have 4 issues that look 9.8 or better to me. And 4 other issues that all have this problem. No clue what the grade could be hence the question.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I have a similar thing with #1. It only affects one or two pages. To me, it looks like it is just from the stapling process. I wouldn't worry about it as it is production issue. I have a book with a bent staple get a 9.8, so I would think that something on the inside of the book like that will still be a viable 9.8 candidate.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I have a similar thing with #1. It only affect a one two pages. To me, it looks like it just from the stapling process. I wouldn't worry about it as it is production issue. I have a book with a bent staple get a 9.8, so I would think that something on the inside of the book like that will still be a viable 9.8 candidate.

I would agree with this. A minor production issue isn't supposed to hurt the grade. So CBCS will likely give it a miss. As for CGC, I just got a book back from them and they missed a double cover. So they probably wouldn't even spot this, if you send it over there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I suppose it's worth sending then. But since I have multiple copies will probably send the copies that do not have this issue first.
Post 6 IP   flag post
615415 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?