Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Differences between variants12713

Collector absavior private msg quote post Address this user
Dear all,

This is my first post, as I'm trying to go through my collection and select some books to submit for grading. Since I hate Newton rings, CBCS is the only option currently.

I am currently trying to understand what are the differences between variants. I have noticed that the regular Thor #5 comic and the Thor #5 Zombies variant, for example, have small differences. For example, the Marvel Empyre ads are missing in the Zombies variant. I am wondering how common this is? Thor #5 Second Print, also misses the Marvel Empyre ads, but since it is a Second Print it would be a different comic in my view. However, I would have expected all first prints to have the Marvel Empyre ads. Am I missing something here, or this is a common occurence?

The two pictures are included. The one with the ads is the normal cover, whereas the other one is the Zombies variant.

So the question is - is the Zombies variant complete? Not really clear to me where to check such information as the Grand Comics Database doesn't include ad information, for example.

Best regards,
Adrian

Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
As far as the Empyre ads; it Just could be that the Zombies variant was printed/released at a different time. Not all variants are printed at the same time (including 1st prints). So the Empyre ads may not have been needed or they capitalized on a different ad.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector absavior private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks!

I wasn't aware about this fact that even 1st prints could be printed at different times and with some different content with respect to the ads.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ggovel private msg quote post Address this user
You could always tear out the ads if you want them to match, right??? 😜
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector kon_jelly private msg quote post Address this user
The Zombies variant was released the same day, so I'm a bit confused like @absavior is. Do they still have the same number of pages? Like are there different ads in the Zombies variant that don't appear in the non-variant?

I have a couple of zombies variants of different issues that I'm going to have to check out now. This is interesting.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kon_jelly
The Zombies variant was released the same day, so I'm a bit confused like @absavior is. Do they still have the same number of pages? Like are there different ads in the Zombies variant that don't appear in the non-variant?

I have a couple of zombies variants of different issues that I'm going to have to check out now. This is interesting.
regardless of release date they are/can be printed at different times. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc prints come to meet demand.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
I can’t imagine any ads are specific to a variant, but rather consistent with other books printed at the same time(as the variant). To me any differences in ads of the same basic comic(exclusive of cover) would equate to a later printing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
600694 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?