Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Certified Comics For SaleComics Golden AgeFor Sale

FS: Whiz Comics #22 - Classic Cover! 3.0 CBCS12706

Collector SauceDog private msg quote post Address this user
Howdy all!

Since I've just got my very first major order back from CBCS it's time to sell some stuff - This will be my very first sales post here on these boards! I've previously mostly sold on the cgc forums (under the same username), Ebay, and of course Instagram (you can visit my website for links to testimonials and other sites www.saucedogcomics.com). Since it's my very first offering here I'm going to offer something up at a pretty decent sick-deal price.

----

Please no hall of shamers or probies. I ship to Canada and USA only, and I accept Pay Pal, EMT, or cash if you are local and we meet up in person. No returns on slabbed books. Prices are in USD. Shipping from Toronto, Canada. Can meet up if you are local to the GTA (I could possibly drive it to you depending on your address)
First timestamped TAKE-IT gets it over any in progress PM discussions. Add $10 for shipping anywhere in North America (I will be shipping via a more expensive tier, but will cover the rest of the costs myself. Just wanted to keep your shipping costs low.)

--

Whiz Comics #22 (1941)
CBCS graded 3.0
Conserved (So minor I missed it: tear seal top front cover cover with small amount of glue. I'm tempted to crack it and just remove it outright)
Cream to Off-White pages

Colors are bright and vivid, with no major defects to distract from that amazing cover art.

For those of us who can't afford his first appearance then after that this, my favourite, Captain Marvel book after which is still affordable. Features a classic cover (the 'impossible' cover, as it's referred to as), and honestly it might be the best cover in the original run (looks like a movie poster, which is why I bought it). It only dawned on me this is technically the first full clear cover appearance of Billy Batson (he appeared on the cover of issue #20 first, but he was small and tucked away in the low right corner while also being half covered by a text box).

This one does not come up for sale often, and raw copies seem to go for higher than graded ones when they hit Ebay (I'm not going to list those prices below, as I think they were much too high from the bidding wars)

GPA prices for your reference: A CGC 4.5 sold two weeks ago for $960, and a CGC 3.0 sold for $760 on comic link at the start of August - all up from prior years. A CGC 1.5 sold in 2019 for $400, half of this grade but didn't look half as good as this issue.

Since it's my first sale here, I'm going price it lower than expected just to get the selling ball rolling for me:

$690us.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Bump and some additional pictures outside the Lightbox

Post 2 IP   flag post
For those curious, I can confirm this issue has NOT been pressed. I had a massive brain fart and accidentally filed this book with the already pressed golden age books which were ready to go for grading.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Classic cover!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
@SauceDog oh mmmm geeee I Love Captain Marvel! Great Book!
Post 5 IP   flag post
bump!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Final bump before it's off to Ebay.

PRICE DROP: Now $25 off. $665.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! Wish I could afford it!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Decided against listing it on Ebay and going to try one final bump and price reduction, otherwise going back into the collection and might show up again for the next Shazam movie

$630us shipped anywhere in Canada or the USA.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceDog
It only dawned on me this is technically the first full clear cover appearance of Billy Batson (he appeared on the cover of issue #20 first, but he was small and tucked away in the low right corner while also being half covered by a text box).

I hope this doesn't catch on. It's confusing enough now that there are multiple types of 1st appearances - 1 panel cameo/1st cameo in silhouette/1st cameo appearance/1st full appearance/etc. I guess anything to try to pump a book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
The whole cameo crap drives me nuts. I just had a captain marvel 27 sell for peanuts last night at auction when it is THE 1st full appearance of Mr. Mind, multiple panels, where he is revealed to readers and captain marvel as a talking worm. A copy of number 26 where there’s nothing more than a tiny drawing of him in a single panel goes for 10 times the price and the books prior to that where he’s just a disembodied speech bubble also sells for a premium. I don’t understand it at all.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I also wish I could afford it right now. Nice! Will keep it in mind, and maybe down the line it will still be available. Love the cover!
Post 12 IP   flag post
600635 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?