Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Another mint GSX1 wrecked!!!12700

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I use collect insure but I've only had the policy a few months, have a collection worth less than $8500, and I've never had to file a claim. I figured the premium of less than $70 annually is well worth the cost considering that I purchase insurance through the post office for far greater than this when selling items and I can still charge buyer's for a lower insurance cost if I'd like and apply it to my premium. I can imagine it would be a headache in many circumstances and I don't know the specific terms regarding when the item is having worked performed on it by a vendor.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Batworldfan private msg quote post Address this user
Hey agamoto, thanks for the reply. I'm also wondering if too much overhang on cover edges could be causing these problems with both CBCS & CGC grading, they maybe shouldn't have graded them in the first place?
What do you think looking back?
Was the book pressed?
Also I would send it back for pressing, at least. Once someone at CGC, gives you a better response, you should be due credit for lost value, if grade falls.
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Overhang is real, square bounds are a bitch no matter the age or condition.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
For squarebounds, they need to add starch when they press. Like the Three Stooges episode where the pants come out of the press stiff as a board.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
That picture of the slab hurts my eyes and I feel for you. Thankfully I have had damage done to the dozen or so comics that I submitted to cgc or the couple of thousand that I have received back from CBCS.

And now you have had two...That sucks.
Post 30 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Out of curiosity I sent an email to collect insure to ask about shipping insurance.this was question / response.

Good evening .

I have a question or 2 in regards to shipping comic books of value. 

Do I need to insure for the full amount to UPS, FEDEX or USPS, if I have an end user policy with you? (Not dealer policy)

So for example, I have a book valued at 3000$, by default USPS priority covers first 100$, do I need to insure the rest of the 2900$ or do I just send it in and you insure? 

What about books sent to grading and they send back to me? Im assuming their insurance covers it, but since I have your attention,  I'd like to confirm. 

Thank you for any light you can shed on this topic.

Response:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, I cannot advise you as to what value of insurance you should purchase  through a shipping carrier. What I can tell you is that your insurance with us is excess. This means that in the event of a loss any insurance you have for your collection (including additional shipping coverage you may purchase) would respond to the loss before we would. We would then pay the remaining. No if you do not have any other insurance, then we would pay the full amount minus any deductible for a covered loss.

The shipping coverage with us does provide coverage for packages that are sent/received.

If you need anything else, please let me know.

To me, her response is clear as mud. Maybe I just need caffeine to read it a few dozen more times to digest what she is saying....
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte

She is saying that if you ship a $3,000 book, and FedEx defaults with $100 insurance, you don't need to buy additional insurance from FedEx. Your collectible insurance will reimburse you $2,900 minus any deductible you have.

It's also really important that you ship FedEx with signature confirmation on your high dollar shipments to qualify for the most coverage of $60,000. If you ship via USPS Priority, you only have $2,500 of coverage and that is only with delivery confirmation. The delivery confirmation aspect is key in all of this; pay the extra for it!

Finally, your books are covered whether they are sent or received.

Hope this helps.
Post 32 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga

Thank you for taking the time to explain. It is greatly appreciated. Not sure why I have so much difficulty with insurance jargon. Its almost as if my brain shuts off before it even attempts to understand.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
With such a high dollar comic I do not understand how this passes the quality control...surely after this was slabed it had to stand out that the corners were no longer sharp, especially after assigning it a 9.6 grade. Do the graders not look the comic over after it is slabbed? I have noticed quite a few high grade slabbed comics on eBay that have those similar bent corners and I always assumed the comic was damaged after it was slabbed, like it was dropped or tossed around roughly, but after hearing your story it may very well have happened with the grading company.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch, just got my quote from Collectinsure, $802 per year. I gotta say, if that means they cover the cost of insurance sending my books to and from the graders, that will pay for itself in just a few trips. I might have to bite the bullet on that one.
Post 35 IP   flag post
One exclusion I noted during the sign up... It doesn't cover the cost of loss or damage to a book being worked on by me, or someone I give authority to work on. I suspect that if I claimed they damaged my book putting it in a case, they'd deny the claim. I guess I'd need to ask.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batworldfan
I hope you post these photos on the CGC boards, try to embarrass CGC, maybe they will fire someone for doing such a piss poor job!

Oh boy! That would be SO awesome, huh? And the CBCS employee that did the same to his other GSX1, right?

ffs
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
I hope you post these photos on the CGC boards, try to embarrass CGC, maybe they will fire someone for doing such a piss poor job!

Oh boy! That would be SO awesome, huh? And the CBCS employee that did the same to his other GSX1, right?

ffs

That depends, has the CBCS employee continued to do the same thing to the same books? If so, he or she certainly would deserve to be fired. If it's a problem that's specific to how they are encapsulating these books, then both grading companies ought to pump the brakes and make sure they've got policy in place to ensure proper handling when these particular types of books hit the encapsulation desk.

For the record, I just received my Silver Surfer 1 and 4 yesterday from CGC, both of them with similar overhang and sharp corners, yet they are perfectly centered in their cases and the corners remain sharp.
Post 38 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Ouch, just got my quote from Collectinsure, $802 per year. I gotta say, if that means they cover the cost of insurance sending my books to and from the graders, that will pay for itself in just a few trips. I might have to bite the bullet on that one.

I have the coverage, as it makes sense for my situation. You just have to do the math - how many shipments per year, the value per shipment, the amount of insurance you would have to purchase each time from the carrier, if it's even available, etc. I think about 5 months into the year, the premium has covered the cost of all the individual insurance charges I would have paid. The rest is gravy. Plus it covers my stock that is not in transit, so that's a bonus.

When I ship expensive comics, I insure for $200, as that is the amount of my deductible. If it was lost, the carrier would reimburse me for the first $200, CollectInsure for the remainder. I have an account with Pirate Ship, so the $200 coverage only costs $1.60.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
For the record, I just received my Silver Surfer 1 and 4 yesterday from CGC, both of them with similar overhang and sharp corners, yet they are perfectly centered in their cases and the corners remain sharp.

I guess the postal service wasn't nearly as rough with that box.
Post 40 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe we should start a “wrecked gsx 1 club”

Post 41 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
ugghhh my copy

Post 42 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:

I guess the postal service wasn't nearly as rough with that box.

The only people who think this sort of damage is caused by shipping carriers mishandling the box are comic book grading companies and people who got a D or F in physics.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
ugghhh my copy

JESUS MURPHY, that's crazy! Share your story.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy

Wow, yeah, that's about what I'm looking at myself, top and bottom corner. A 9.6 white witn corner/edge bending that says "How about an 8.5?"
Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy

How anyone in their right mind could look at a bend like that... How the comic sits in the inner mylar sleeve... and still say "oh, that's from shipping" is beyond my comprehension.
Post 46 IP   flag post
I think the lesson we comic buyers/collectors need to learn, is be on the lookout for too much cover edge overhang, when deciding to send books in to be graded. It increases the risk of post grading bends and corner trouble, which can happen during shipping today, and if you send it back out tomorrow to be sold again.
Sometimes the grading companies do it right and everyone is happy, but as we have seen, it can often lead to problems down the road. The grading companies should also try to improve their service, but we as customers have to deal with the current reality.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Overhang is real, square bounds are a bitch no matter the age or condition.

HeinzDad has pointed out the real problem. This isn't shipping - and this is to be expected if you are aware of the problem

CGC's slabs can and will bend over the edges of covers where they overhang. This copy of GSX 1 most certainly has cover overhang. The design of the inner well will bend this overhang over. You can press it back flat - but the next inner holder will do the same thing.

I've seen CGC refuse to grade books with significant cover overhang. But they should be more aggressive in their rejections.

I haven't seen CBCS's new holders/inner wells, so I don't know if they will cause the same problem. PGX actually fixed this problem ages ago - and CBCS's inner holder was the same.

If you look at CGC's holder you see actual walls and indents. Designed to help hold books in place. The design of the inner holder of PGX and CBCS inner holders I believe is called a "tapered seal". The edges of the holder are sealed all around just a few millimetres from the book. Exerting even pressure all along. No hard seals/edges that bend overhang over.

Overhang and slabbing are a problem with any books. But square bounds are the worst. Because of the way they are trimmed and assembled, there is literally a steep drop off from interior page to cover where any wall edge just bends the paper flat over.

Bottom line is as I said. CGC should be more diligent in their rejections. And collectors should avoid sending books with overhang in for grading.
Post 48 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan They have overhang because the interior pages are stapled together and then the cover is wrapped around the interior and held in place by gluing the cover to the spine of the interior. The cover and interior aren't trimmed after assembly.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Why is it that the back cover corners never get bent?

If this is something that's been known about for years. WHY THE HELL are grading companies allowing these books to be graded and more importantly, why have they not changed their processes for encapsulating these kinds of books to accommodate such issues?
Post 50 IP   flag post
Further to the insurance coverage discussion, I spoke with Kim something rather. If you're someone who sells in excess of 5% of your collection per annum, you are supposed to get a dealer rate, not a collector rate. The dealer rate is more expensive. I did confirm that shipping to and from not just the grader, but also folks like your presser AND books that you've acquired are covered when it comes to shipping. You just have to pay the $200 deductible.

Because I have so many books I want to sell, I have to get the dealer rate, and even if I reduce the insurance to only cover $50K worth of my most valuable books, I'm still looking at $800 a year. Most notably, under the dealer rate, the coverage on the shipping is to a maximum of the total declared/insured value of the collection.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Good info agamoto, I just got a small Collectibles Insurance policy last year, after hearing good things about them on the boards and YouTube like Regie Collects etc., when I talked to an agent and 'the sells in excess of 5% of your collection per year' or they want you to pay way more for a dealer rate blew me away! I don't think anyone had ever mentioned this before, and I'm thinking if I have a $10,000 value collection, I can only sell a $500 book and be fully covered! WTF are they living in an alternative reality, where no one sells much. I complained about it, and encourage everyone to voice their thoughts as well. I'm assuming the majority of collectors are just rolling the dice, and hoping they don't get burned by this lameness.
I'm also curious, where are you selling your comics agamoto?
Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This seems appropo:

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
as far as insurance through usps (i just sent in a very expensive batch of golden age books to cbcs last week), with priority mail you can purchase up to 5000$ worth of insurance through the postal seevice. you have to do sig confirmation over 2000$. anything over 5000$ you have to do registered mail, where every postal employee has to sign off when they touch it. they have a special tape you have to use to seal up the box.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:

I'm also curious, where are you selling your comics agamoto?

The bulk of it is going to Heritage, some via eBay, some via waffles run by others.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601510 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?