Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedGrading Help NeededQuestions

My first time...12635

Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
sending in books. Was looking to pick those of a similar price range with the same turnaround time. How'd I do? And to use these to finance the next slabbing costs. Pressing seems to take 'forever' - heard there is another faster company for that? - but are these even worth it? Looking to sell on here or ebay and for buyers to know what they're getting... been enjoying the forum. Thanks for any and all advice.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Dang dude. All keys
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Def nice books; send to another presser who will send on to grading. There are pressers all over; you want someone who knows what they are doing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector gotham44 private msg quote post Address this user
Make sure you press them before grading. I see some little errors that will come out with a press. It'll boost your grades. Nice books too
Post 4 IP   flag post
Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
cesidio - is that good? lol still learning on here used to 'collect' now into mainly 'graphic novels' - look forward to getting educated. Keys...?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Looks to me like some boxing on corners. Spine ticks. Not sure pressing is going to to help. But wow.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If it were me send them is as. All keys. Don't know what your cost was. But based on scans nice. Just my honest opinion
Post 7 IP   flag post
As a kid really liked these too - thus the wear. So getting kinda the vibe I should have these pressed prior to grading slabbing... wanna do right by these books. Any first hand had recommendations for alt. pressing companies?
Post 8 IP   flag post
okay cesidio back to that debat lol... guess this gets pretty subjective.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If you decided to press use cbcs in house. Had a first appearance kitty pride after press and grading 8.5. Pressing doesn't fix box corners or ticks. But folds creases works wonders.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Robot I don't debate just give my honest opinion
Post 11 IP   flag post
To press or not to press? Anyone have their go-to to deciding. I'm over thinking it, first time and all and why not learning here...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@robo welcome. And, nice comics! If you can be patient for the moment until they get caught up(which is happening), I HIGHlY recommend CBCS and @SteveRicketts for Pressing. They have definitely saved few of my comics after i mangled them. But as i and a few others were so impressed and deluged them last year, they got backed up on top of the China pandemic and subsequent move. But again, they are catching up. Fast press does work if you want a quick turnaround though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I would send for a preliminary. Cbcs will tell you if a pressing will help.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks...
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Some Key books modern Books Indeed ..... but I don't think pressing is going to do much in the way of making a significant grade improvement. Personally I wouldn't waste time or money on any pressing.

They are modern books and appear to be fairly low grade. Honestly... Im not certain if they will bring any more money graded than they would raw.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@robo Welcome to the forum
Pressing will not help all the color breaking spine ticks. The books with white borders showing can really use a dry cleaning. If the spine is that dirty, the backs of the books could benefit from dry cleaning too. So I would recommend getting them cleaned and pressed even with the spine ticks. Just my opinion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
nice books how much for xmen raw
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Always press first, makes no sense to leave potential money on the table. Sure the grade may not bump, but if you don't press you'll always be wondering.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Never sent in a book to be graded that hasn’t been pressed.
Easy to learn books, look at EBay sales for all of yours, whether you are keeping them or not. I figure if it doesn’t go for at least $100, I don’t grade, but a year later your $50, could well be worth $100
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItClunky
Always press first, makes no sense to leave potential money on the table. Sure the grade may not bump, but if you don't press you'll always be wondering.

I respectfully have to say I disagree. While its true that certain books may benefit from pressing, The vast majority of people blindly having books pressed are just simply wasting their money IMHO.

Here are some books I had graded without pressing.

Post 21 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
From my experience the presser I've used out here in California would probably decline all of those books for pressing because the grade would likely not change. However, cleaning could be a different story and that's what I would be looking at. If you have the patience, I think you just have to have them press-screened by CBCS or find a presser who is honest enough to screen them. But make sure it includes cleaning.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

I respectfully have to say I disagree. While its true that certain books may benefit from pressing, The vast majority of people blindly having books pressed are just simply wasting their money IMHO.

Here are some books I had graded without pressing.

I agree not every book needs a press, and the examples you provided are basically slam dunk 9.8s visually. I've subbed many modern slam dunk 9.8s myself without pressing. But in the case of the original poster, his books all have pressable defects and can probably benefit from a press as well as a clean. At worst his books will look better slabbed after they're cleaned up.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
sending in books. Was looking to pick those of a similar price range with the same turnaround time. How'd I do? And to use these to finance the next slabbing costs. Pressing seems to take 'forever' - heard there is another faster company for that? - but are these even worth it? Looking to sell on here or ebay and for buyers to know what they're getting... been enjoying the forum. Thanks for any and all advice.

i will happily take those off your hands

as long as you don’t need pressing turn around time is reasonable
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
But in the case of the original poster, his books all have pressable defects and can probably benefit from a press as well as a clean. At worst his books will look better slabbed after they're cleaned up.

@KeepItClunky I think you're right and now that I think about it a half point increase on any 2 of those books could possibly pay for the cost of pressing. I think it's a low-risk proposition and without a local screener I would probably just send them straight to CBCS pressing without pre-screen...as long as it includes cleaning, which I think it does.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
cesidio - is that good? lol still learning on here used to 'collect' now into mainly 'graphic novels' - look forward to getting educated. Keys...?

Yes, it's very good! "Keys" is just a term of art for "key books" ... new character first appearances or significant events. These are all great keys: the first Deathstroke, the first Iron Fist, the first Sabretooth, the all-new X-Men team (I think Giant Size X-Men #1 is generally considered to come before this one, but this is still highly desired), and the first Phoenix.

Just a quick glance, I'd say they are all between 4.0 and 6.0 grade. But the X-Men #101 and that Teen Titans #2 may get a 7.0 or so with a clean and press. Excellent first submission! Check eBay sold listings, MyComicShop, and maybe ComicLink for current prices. All of these keys are hot right now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
600790 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?