Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

DC cancels Teen Titans, Young Justice, Suicide Squad, Hawkman, and more12625

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
DC cancels Teen Titans, Young Justice, Suicide Squad, Hawkman, and more

Link
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
DC cancels Teen Titans, Young Justice, Suicide Squad, Hawkman, and more

Link

That’s a shame. Hawkman is one of the best titles they have right now. I’m a huge DC fan but their line went to crap after bringing Bendis on and after Snyder’s Metal series put an end to the Rebirth initiative. It didn’t help that Geoff Johns took two years to finish the Doomsday Clock series. Really killed the momentum they had going.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
About the only DC I was reading were the Hill House comics - which all seem to have a finite run in mind.

No worries - Teen Titans will be back eventually - it has been around since the 60's!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
How did Robin betray the Titans and why would DC allow that story to move forward? No wonder DC is in the shape it is in.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Robin must have had some run ins with the law...lets see....slept with Wonder Girl and Starfire - any others since the 80's??
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
YAY!!! Except Hellblazer. But we all have our faves, so whatever.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Robin must have had some run ins with the law...lets see....slept with Wonder Girl and Starfire - any others since the 80's??

People always forget, or conveniently forget, that the Titan's biggest villain was in his 40's and was sleeping with Terra. It shouldn't have been published then and would never be published today. It is why I will never buy anything with Slade in it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector nealheatherly private msg quote post Address this user
I for one am going to miss Young Justice and Suicide Squad. The latter stings less, because even though I thought this volume was particularly good, it's been around consistently enough for long enough that, especially with a new movie on the horizon, I'm sure another volume is just around the corner. Losing YJ hurts, though. That book had been gone for so long, and continuity had reset so many times, that getting those characters back seemed like an impossibility, and they really are better together. Still, I'll keep my fingers crossed that now that Connor, Cassie, Tim and Bart are back in the DC Universe that they'll manage to keep popping up.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
I would guess there's another reboot in the offing once Death Metal is done. It is the replacement for Dan DiDio's proposed 5G event that got turfed. I couldn't really understand Metal so I took a pass on Death Metal. I still buy Superman and the LSH out of habit although I can't say I enjoy either title.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Oh well
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Maritimer--We'll see. For one thing, Death Metal was solicited before Generation Zero was cancelled. I assumed that was the intended beginning of 5G, considering it was supposed to lead into a series of one-shots called "Generation One" through "Generation Five". 5G=Fifth Generation, was my thinking. Anyway, with Death Metal being on the schedule back when that was still the plan, I thought the two of them were supposed to work in tandem, and with DC having to pace out its earlier announced titles when they went with the new distributors, I wasn't totally convinced 5G wasn't still happening.

But regardless, my larger point was that Young Justice hurts because even after a reboot, I don't see it coming back, potentially ever. That title wasn't being used in cannon for 16 years, and this is only the second volume it's had in the mainstream universe, so it's easily the least perennial title on the list. Hawkman and Hellblazer may have also had gaps in publication, but they tend to come back more frequently, and the others have been pretty much constantly in publication despite numerous reboots going back to at least the New 52.

And that's the other thing: in light of the corporate restructuring over the last couple weeks and some comments the new owners at AT&T supposedly made, I wouldn't be totally shocked if whatever reboot comes moves DC's entire publishing line out of periodicals entirely and exclusively into graphic novels, effectively ending the concept of continuity. In some ways, that might be better, but as someone who grew up with the old system, I'd be sad to see it go, so anything I see that suggests that's what's happening increases my anxiety just a bit.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Aquaman may also be cancelled after issue #65: clickable text.

The thinking is that DC will end the book with Kelly Sue DeConnick double-sized final issue.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieCPA4646
Aquaman may also be cancelled after issue #65: clickable text.

The thinking is that DC will end the book with Kelly Sue DeConnick double-sized final issue.

Aquaman was pretty good when Dan Abnett was writing it. I dropped off when Kelly Sue came on. I hate to see one of DC’s main characters not doing well especially after a $1b movie.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Again, we'll see. On the one hand, like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cancel anything at this point. On the other, I saw a few writers who were convinced after last month's solicits came out that Red Hood: Outlaw #50 would be the final issue, and sure enough, Red Hood #51 was solicited this month (albeit with the new title).

Still, reading between the lines of all the bad DC news lately, I looked at this month's solicits a bit more closely, and this is the list of ongoing series not explicitly cancelled, meaning there's at least a chance of them getting new issues in December, along with what exactly I see between those lines. This could all be wildly off base, but maybe it'll be fun for a second.

Action Comics:
As long as DC keeps publishing books monthly, this'll be one of them.
Maybe Superman'll outlast it, but just barely.

Aquaman:
See willie's comment and my response above.

Batman:

Batman Beyond:
For as many short lived attempts as this one had back in the day, the fact that December's would be #50 is one heck of an achievement. I hope everyone involved is proud. That said, I'm surprised it got this far, and considering how divorced it is by nature from the rest of the line, it'd be easy to cut. Considering the way they've promoted the last few issues of Legion, they even seem to be preparing us for it. And you know how DC loves to end on a milestone issue. Just saying...

Batman/Superman:
This one seemed like it started in a pretty transparent attempt to set up Hell Arisen. Now that it's served that purpose, it can last as long as sales support it, but it can also be cancelled as soon as they don't. For as often as a book like this keeps coming back, that's because there just as often isn't one.

Catwoman:
The original creator who drew eyes to this volume is gone, and it seems to be searching for a direction without her. Frankly, I'm surprised it's lasted this long without one, so to see it end suddenly would hardly be shocking.

DC Classics--The Batman Adventures:
Well, the original series ran for 36 issues, 2 Annuals, the Mad Love graphic novel, a Mask of the Phantasm adaptation and a Holiday Special. It was replaced by Batman & Robin Adventures, which ran for 25 issues, 2 annuals and a Sub-Zero adaptation. There was a Two-Face special at one point, then a 5 issue Lost Years mini before the launch of Gotham Adventures, which ran for 60 issues, plus the Batgirl Adventures one shot. There's a couple shorts you could combine into an issue, and a second volume that ran for 17 issues, as well as three issues of Scooby Doo Team Up they could use if they got really desperate. That means the series kind of has to cap out at 157 issues. But that's just silly. They started this in conjunction with The Adventures Continue mini, which is 7 issues, so I can't see this continuing longer than that.

Detective Comics:
Maybe Batman'll outlast it for a little while, but if this ever gets cancelled, it's the writing on the wall.

The Flash:
As long as the TV show's still on, this'll keep going.

Justice League:
This is an interesting case. The current series was very transparently started to bridge the gap between Metal and Death Metal, and the months between the end of Snyder's run and the start of Death Metal really felt like DC was just publishing it because they couldn't imagine canceling it. As soon as they have a buzzy creative team and/or an actual mission statement for the book, we'll be getting a new #1, but if DC were willing to flat out cancel it, they would have by now.

Justice League Dark:
In terms of sheer quality, I hope this one lasts a while, but it feels like it's gearing up for an ending, and it's new enough as a franchise that they can lose it again without too big of a fuss, especially given that there was a pretty lengthy publication gap in its history already, at least considering how new it is.

Last God:
Shockingly Black Label has an ongoing series, and while this month's solicitation makes clear it's heading to an ending, it also suggests a Vol. 2 will be following shortly after, most likely with a new title. Still, Black Label being what it is, it'd be easy to transition that Vol. 2 to a graphic novel.

Legion of Super-Heroes:
It seems like keeping this book going is a precondition of keeping Bendis at the company, but given the sheer scale of the layoffs we just saw at DC, I don't know that a big enough star writer exists to avoid getting fired at this point, especially if it means continuing to publish a book the company wants to cancel for any reason.

Looney Tunes:
I mean, if they want to keep selling this to kids, they can just repackage old issues in digests or something, right? Like what they did with...

Mad Magazine:
I rest my case.

Nightwing:
This book is just coming off a widely reviled storyline that managed to run for 25 issues. Clearly someone at DC wants this book to keep going even if there's not a story to tell in it, but if that someone just got fired it could be gone very quickly.

Red Hood:
Another new title suggests they want this to keep going for some time, but combined with the new writer it's effectively a new #1, which means it could get canceled at the end of the first arc if it doesn't hit big.

Superman:

Wonder Woman:
As long as it's a well respected and/or profitable film franchise, they'll keep publishing this one.

So in the immediate short term, it's not hard to imagine that getting cut further to just Action, Batman, Detective, Flash, Justice League, Superman and Wonder Woman. Gutting the line to 7 (maybe 5) titles might sound crazy, but in light of the new management, it may be a very realistic stopgap. Look at it this way--not long ago, DC was publishing 52 monthly books, and this list confirms that they're down to 19, 15 if you limit it to canonical, original series set in the DC Universe. That's roughly a 2/3 reduction, and continuing to cut at that rate gets you right into the range I've proposed. And if you think DC would never devote nearly half their line to each of their two most popular characters, look at how it already is. Of the 15 current canonical titles, a full third sell themselves off a connection to Superman, and over half sell themselves off a connection to Batman. Wonder Woman's a major selling point for 20%. The contraction is already happening. It's significant. And given the headlines we've seen recently, there's no reason to believe it's going to stop here. I'd love to be wrong, so I hope this all sounds even more insane than it already does this time next month.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
After all the gimmicks, variant covers, polybagged issues, crossover events, constant reboots and cover price increases from both Marvel & DC over these past 3 decades I will NEVER buy a monthly title again. I buy back issues and trades and that is it for me. I hope DC cancels ALL of their comics!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
But how do you really feel?
Post 16 IP   flag post
601492 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?