Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Modern Age

Signed/Numbered Comic - Verification?12596

Collector Patrickjones2549 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a double signed Marvels #2 that also has the exclusive signing numbering at the bottom, as pictured. If I get these sigs verified, will they count off for the numbering? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Being in full view on the cover, I'm not sure they'd note it on the label, and even if the sig is verified, there is no way to say for sure the numbers are associated with it. For all anyone knows, the numbers were written after the sig to give it extra appeal (for number hunters). I'm not saying this is the case here. Still, I don't think verifying a sig includes numbers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
Good question. I am also curious about this subject.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user

For my book, they noted the number. I dont know if that is their policy or not though....
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Patrickjones2549 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks guys!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
I have couple numbers comics and it "seems" as long as its verified the numbering is fine and they all get notated.

Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I think edition numbering is handled similarly to sketches in that if the signature(s) are verified then the numbering doesn’t dock the grade and is noted on the label
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
The #, if signature passes verification or is witnessed, will not count against the grade UNLESS you have not asked for VSP or ASP. In that case, signature and #'s count against the grade as it's writing on the comic. Hope that helps!
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

For my book, they noted the number. I dont know if that is their policy or not though....

mine too...slab only...number noted; 3/25.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Since numbers are noted, I wonder if any scammer has ever added a really low number out of a big "signing" next to a legit sig (i.e. Stan Lee 5/5000), hoping to get that "one person".
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
The #, if signature passes verification or is witnessed, will not count against the grade UNLESS you have not asked for VSP or ASP. In that case, signature and #'s count against the grade as it's writing on the comic. Hope that helps!

Doesn't this come with extra risk? Couldn't a customer consider this as meaning the number and singing event were verified as authentic as well? And certainly there is no way THAT can be verified.
I have no idea if this is even a concern, or if it's been tried, but it seems if someone added phony numbers to signed books to add appeal, and the label acknowledges it, the customer might get pissed at CBCS as well.
I'm just curious- I only buy Witnessed anymore.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a sincere question, but I understand it comes off as shit-stirring. Looking at the labels again, I see "(#2833/10000)" is the same as CGC saying, "#2833/10000 Written On Cover", just not as specific at detaching it from the verified sig, but probably enough to CYA.

I might just be picking the fly-shit from the pepper pot, but it really doesn't seem "out there" to picture some comic-book-fan-posing opportunist taking a Walt Simonson signed Thor #337 he obtained himself and adding 3/1000 before subbing it, hoping someone sees his higher than FMV listing thinking, "WOW! #3 out 1000, and CBCS[BAS] verifies it? I'LL TAKE IT!" Then the following year the same cbfp opportunist get's outed for doing the same to another book[s], and the buyer of the Thor hears of it.

I'm simply suggesting going the extra yard and making your labels clearer. Bronte's book is a good example of how you guys already do this:

Verified Sigs: JOE QUESADA & RICHARD ISANOVE
Sketch on cover. (#18/699)

That's perfect- "Sketch on cover" following the names effectively detaches the sketch from the verified signatures, but if there were no sketch, and the signatures were simply followed by the numbers:

JOE QUESADA & RICHARD ISANOVE
(#18/699)

That detachment isn't as clear as:

JOE QUESADA & RICHARD ISANOVE
(#18/699 Written on cover)

I'd hate to think this would be "Too CGC". Again, you already do this when a sketch is present.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597949 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?