Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CBCS New Slab Review! My Re-Holders have arrived!12583

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I just received the CBCS books I sent in to be re-holdered with the new CBCS slabs.

It took about 4 weeks start to finish, and I only had 6 books. If it was somehow possible to cross all of my CGC books without losing grades I would have them all crossed to the new CBCS slabs.

This is the first time I have actually had the new CBCS slabs in hand to check out and boy was I NOT disappointed. The Slabs are amazing and without question the best in the hobby IMHO.

* Crystal Clear!

* Much more durable

* Nice slim streamline slab (thinner,yet stronger)

* Much bolder Label color and Text.

* It's simply the best looking slab on the market!

So.... without further ado here are the books I re-holdered

Those gaudy corner clips are gone as are the ugly mold marks that were often found on the sides of the older slabs. The new slab features nice smooth corners and a seamless uniform edge look.

My hats really off to CBCS and the super quality of their new slabs. Like i said I wish all of my CGC books were in these new CBCS slabs.

Here are a few side by side comparisons between the new and old CBCS Slabs

The New slabs feature a much improved deeper blue color and I believe the Text is a bit bolder as well. The new wrap around label also extends that deep blue color around the top edge of the slab and the absence of the heat seal on the CBCS logo give the new label a much more defined and sleek look.

In addition to the New label having much more defined and legible text on the top edge of the slab, The new CBCS slab is slightly thinner than the old slab, while actually being much more rigid and sturdy. The New CBCS slab is considerably thinner than the Very bulky CGC slab, which becomes even more important when it comes to storing a sizable amount of slabs.

Lastly the New slab now has nice clean round corners and a seamless seal on its perimeter and you can see the much better clarity of the plastic of the new slabs.

Ive often been one to criticize CBCS for some of their past mis-steps, but I have nothing but high praise for their New slabs and I believe they without question the new standard in the hobby.

Thanks CBCS!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I guess cbcs after how many years it took to finely look nice and blue covers like cgc instead all clear plastic color.Looks better.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Thanks for sharing this!! Very comprehensive and informative!! Can't wait to get mine!!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
As nice as the new slabs are (and they are), those books you have are special.
And for me it's always been about the books inside. Really really really nice!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
I sooooooo much like these new holders, definitely a much better product. I will be shipping a few in to get the new slabs as well
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It's much cleaner looking without the seal marks or whatever it was on the sides. It looks clear all the around now. I like them. I can think of a few riveting slabs that I would like to have reholdered.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I agree, I received a couple of the new cases a few weeks ago for some books I also had reholdered. They are absolutely the best slab going right now.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
That was my first impression of the new CBCS slabs, they are magnificent. Nice books and grades....Now for my 9/19 and 10/19 subs *le sigh
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
They look like they're going to be harder to crack open without those corner clips

I'm hoping there will soon be (if not already) a youtube video where someone else tries it on their slabs.

They do look better, and seem nice and secure in there.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
How many times has cbcs changed its looks and style sence they open there buisness?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing! VERY excited!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
As nice as the new slabs are (and they are), those books you have are special.
And for me it's always been about the books inside. Really really really nice!

Yes... It is Very much so about the books and indeed the are VERY special books in my collection. Having them in these top tier CBCS holders is just the "icing on the cake"
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944
Great post, thanks for sharing.

I was planning on sending in my couple of VSP books because of both the new Signature Series label and the slab. I may have to send in more of my regular CBCS graded books

Tony
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
@BigRedOne1944
Great post, thanks for sharing.

I was planning on sending in my couple of VSP books because of both the new Signature Series label and the slab. I may have to send in more of my regular CBCS graded books

Tony

Thanks Tony! I would recommend the new slabs and labels to anybody with existing CBCS books. Especially the older "rivot" labels. Hope to see some of your many beautiful books in the New Slabs soon!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
I have to admit I'm confused by the new cases. Compared to cgc I always thought cbcs had much nicer cases, so I don't see why this is a priority for them over other things.

That said, looking forward to getting my books back with the fancy new case that is apparently an improvement over a case that was quite good anyways:-)
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Nice presentation!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Given that the seal is in fairly close proximity to books I’d be interested in seeing views of several early GA books in the new holders, just to get some idea of the approach taken to encapsulating larger sized books. I’m assuming the outer dimensions of the new holders are all the same size.

In any event, the new holders look very cool and sturdy.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Given that the seal is in fairly close proximity to books I’d be interested in seeing views of several early GA books in the new holders, just to get some idea of the approach taken to encapsulating larger sized books. I’m assuming the outer dimensions of the new holders are all the same size.

There is a 1/2 spacing on the inner sides. Im not sure the dimensions of Golden Age books. Im assuming the inner well for a golden Age book is set up to take advantage of the extra spacing in the slab.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
New cases look great. Do they have UV protection as well?

Alignment of the text on the label is still awful.
Post 19 IP   flag post
No UV protection. Im sure that would have been an additional cost. I don't have any need for it.

Im fine with the Text as well

ALL looks good to me
Post 20 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I can’t really add to any of @BigRedOne1994 review. Pretty spot on.
What i can say is luckily one of my recent orders was damaged by fedex so i sent back for re-holder and it came back with new slab. I mean this looks incredible now.

Post 21 IP   flag post
That's Friggin Gorgeous Rich!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

There is a 1/2 spacing on the inner sides. Im not sure the dimensions of Golden Age books. Im assuming the inner well for a golden Age book is set up to take advantage of the extra spacing in the slab.

General dimensions (width & height) of comic books by age:

Current age comic books are usually 6 7/8" x 10 1/2"

Bronze age and late Silver Age comic books are usually 7 1/4" x 10 1/2"

Silver age comic books are usually 7 1/8" x 10 1/2"

Golden age comic books are usually 7 3/4" x 10 1/2"

Note: I looked this info up on-line just to cover all the bases, but measuring GA is tricky because the width of comics was noticeably reduced after U.S. entry into WWII (early to mid-'43 for most publishers) as part of a national commitment to conserve materials for the war effort.

BTW, I'm confident that CBCS has worked out all the minutiae for safely encapsulating GA books via the new sealing process. I'm just curious about how this is being done, assuming it's a bit different for early GA books given the increased width.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I've got some books that I can't wait to see in the new case... A platinum age Famous Funnies #26 that's got some width to her and many other 40s and 50's golden age books, bunch of atom age books and what may prove to be an interesting challenge, a rather thick n' wide squarebound Dell Giant atom age book.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know if they’ve exhausted their supply of previous generation holders yet? Books from back in 2019 are finally being shipped...wondering if I’ll get the new holder...
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio You'll likely get the new holder....if they were just shipped then they were likely just Graded/encapsulated.....I believe July is when they switched to new holders.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Anyone know if they’ve exhausted their supply of previous generation holders yet? Books from back in 2019 are finally being shipped...wondering if I’ll get the new holder...

I got some last month and they were in the new holder so you should be fine. They are fantastic.
Post 27 IP   flag post
601536 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?