Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Pop CultureSignatures

TCGs: MTG,Pokemon, etc. Anyone Play or Collect?12580

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
...I did have a few nasty combos in some decks though, again not necessarily to win but for fun (for me, at least). One deck had various methods of turning target land into an artifact or creature, which I would target an opponent’s basic land then either Splinter or Eradicate it, which removes it from the game then lets you search its controller’s hand, graveyard, and library for any copies of that card and remove them from the game. Pull it off early enough and it makes the opponent’s deck unplayable and watching the morale drain on their face is delicious.

I can appreciate certain combos that are "insta-win" as long as they're "fun". Storm infinite damage is not fun - especially if it's the only reason said deck exists. The dude would just quit if his draw combo didn't yield a win by Turn 5 or so.

I have some very deadly decks, but "big combo win" is only like 1 of 5 conditions to the decks' play-ability. Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, Damnation + Liliana Vess, etc. 1-dimensional decks are boring IMO.

Also, F U for running land destruction LOL. Our casual group would team up against that kind of strategy.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I hope you MTG players have gotten to playing smartly. Remember it's a cross between bridge and poker.
Here are a couple of smart strategies to use.
If your deck runs on a total of 6 Mana then just don't throw more land down.
I have played games where my opponent sees me with 4 to 5 cards in hand and they think I'm sitting on spells when I'm sitting on a hand full of land.
Also when you draw almost never play that card straight away before putting that card into your hand first.
You draw a land and drop it into play you just let your opponent know what you just drew.
Nothing like having a hand full of land and your opponent plays a creature you immediately place your hand into your land as if you're going to instantly destroy it then look at your hand then the playing surface and withdraw your hand.
Giving your opponent the impression you can kill their creature.
They may double think next turn on playing their bigger creature thinking you have a card to destroy it and are saving the spell for that.
While in reality you have a hand full of drek land.
When you have them thinking it and you draw a creature kill spell play it immediately from the draw letting them know you just drew the creature kill card and still have that imaginary one sitting in your hand.
Do this also with permission decks with counter spells and always have the mana untapped ready to counter when you have no counter spells.
They cast spells you immediately go for your land in play then after a few seconds withdraw as if changing your mind waiting for a bigger threat.
Bluffing can make you opponent stall a couple of turns and when they called your bluff you have top decked the spells you needed to make your bluff a reality.

So as you can tell I was an annoying player to play against.

Many times I'd finish the round and my opponent would ask what I had in my hand and I'd show them it was all land.

Had such a fun time playing MTG. Deck construction. Spell curve and Mana curve adjustment. And the poker and bluff strategies I'd use. 😀
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Found an image of my MTG encyclopedia with a bunch of small sketches from MTG artists
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
My son was into pokemon cards 4-5 years ago. He is 16 now and I think beyond the cards now. I know he still has quite a few cards somewhere in that place he calls a room.

Me... My favorite card Game came from packs of 1971 Topps Football cards.

The Field was on the back of the insert posters

Of coarse the 71 Topps Football cards were also a favorite of ours as kids

Post 29 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I hope you MTG players have gotten to playing smartly. Remember it's a cross between bridge and poker.
Here are a couple of smart strategies to use.
If your deck runs on a total of 6 Mana then just don't throw more land down.
I have played games where my opponent sees me with 4 to 5 cards in hand and they think I'm sitting on spells when I'm sitting on a hand full of land.
Also when you draw almost never play that card straight away before putting that card into your hand first.
You draw a land and drop it into play you just let your opponent know what you just drew.
Nothing like having a hand full of land and your opponent plays a creature you immediately place your hand into your land as if you're going to instantly destroy it then look at your hand then the playing surface and withdraw your hand.
Giving your opponent the impression you can kill their creature.
They may double think next turn on playing their bigger creature thinking you have a card to destroy it and are saving the spell for that.
While in reality you have a hand full of drek land.
When you have them thinking it and you draw a creature kill spell play it immediately from the draw letting them know you just drew the creature kill card and still have that imaginary one sitting in your hand.
Do this also with permission decks with counter spells and always have the mana untapped ready to counter when you have no counter spells.
They cast spells you immediately go for your land in play then after a few seconds withdraw as if changing your mind waiting for a bigger threat.

Bluffing can make you opponent stall a couple of turns and when they called your bluff you have top decked the spells you needed to make your bluff a reality.

So as you can tell I was an annoying player to play against.

Many times I'd finish the round and my opponent would ask what I had in my hand and I'd show them it was all land.

Had such a fun time playing MTG. Deck construction. Spell curve and Mana curve adjustment. And the poker and bluff strategies I'd use. 😀

When I play Blue, the table looks at me whenever a spell is cast, LOL. It's a combination of respect, and humor of the situation.

I love playing Emperor and being able to Time Stop the opposing leader. Power move.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Like others, I played back in the day. 94-98 to be exact. I had all the rare cards Moxes, Ali's, Juzam Djinn and about 100 or so dual lands. I used different ones in different decks and kept a few unplayed for trade ability. Like a dumb ass, I sold quite a few and the others I traded to a comic book store for statues I wanted.

Looking back it still hurts.
Post 31 IP   flag post
597875 31 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?