Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

What’s your preference?12483

Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
Assuming you are buying a nice Bronze Age key, is your buying strategy different when it’s for your long term personal collection vs a quick flip? What’s your preference when buying a graded comic? Let’s say you can spend the same money on the same comic on the same day. There’s no other outside influences. Would you rather have a 7.5 perfectly straight? Or an 8.0 slightly off center? (And would a 1/8th inch white edge along the staples from printing overlap deter you from the higher grade?) Along the same lines, would you rather buy a 7.5 white or an 8.0 off white to white? Such are the trivial matters that occupy 3/4 of my day. Lol
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I collect silver age and bronze age books.

Price is the main factor. What I mean by that is, I'm perfectly willing to pay more for one book over another same book, it's just a question of how much more and what is that more money buying me?

To me, I'm perfectly fine with OW but I will pay a little more for white...and only a little more...$10/$15 more for $150+ book.

The thin white strip running down the spine does not bother me at all as long as it is thin and straight. So I won't pay more for a non-mis-wrapped book as long as the mis-wrapped book is a straight and narrow mis-wrap.

For grade...I'll look at the higher grade first....I'll buy the lower grade if I feel it looks better. I won't pay more for a lower grade...I'll try to get the lower grade for a lower price if I feel the price was too high for that lower grade. If the prices are the same, I will compare the book that I feel presents best vs. the features that are detracting from the higher graded book. If those detracting features are offensive enough then I will buy the lower graded book. If I can live with the detracting features, I will buy the higher graded book.

I don't flip books at all so I can't comment on that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I collect silver age and bronze age books.

Price is the main factor. What I mean by that is, I'm perfectly willing to pay more for one book over another same book, it's just a question of how much more and what is that more money buying me?

To me, I'm perfectly fine with OW but I will pay a little more for white...and only a little more...$10/$15 more for $150+ book.

The thin white strip running down the spine does not bother me at all as long as it is thin and straight. So I won't pay more for a non-mis-wrapped book as long as the mis-wrapped book is a straight and narrow mis-wrap.

For grade...I'll look at the higher grade first....I'll buy the lower grade if I feel it looks better. I won't pay more for a lower grade...I'll try to get the lower grade for a lower price if I feel the price was too high for that lower grade.

If the prices are the same, I will compare the book that I feel presents best vs. the features that are detracting from the higher graded book. If those detracting feature are offensive enough then I will buy the lower graded book. If I can live with the detracting features, I will buy the higher graded book.

I don't flip books at all so I can't comment on that.
ditto
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Same as @GAC and @Batman66 with one exception...

I *WILL* pay more for a book without a miswrap depending on which book I'm considering. For example, many Bronze Age DCs (and late Silver Age DCs, too) are notorious for having fairly substantial miswraps. If I can find two high-grade copies of a BA DC that I need, both in the same grade, one with a miswrap and one without, I am more than willing to pay a slight premium for the copy with the straight cover.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I recently had 3 choices for ASM #74, all CGC SS John Romita- 9.0, 8.0, and 7.5. The only reason I was shopping for it was to upgrade my beater. Price was not at all a factor, but I chose the 7.5 because it was the only one without a crooked white spine.

I'll do the same with 9.8 if I have a perfectly centered 9.6 as an option.

I should add that I don't sell, and I VERY rarely slab my books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Mis-Wraps SUCK.
Post 6 IP   flag post
601348 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?