Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Cautionary notice about CGC character labels.12481

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

In my opinion. Time is irrelevant. If they knew and didnt disclose it just to earn a quick buck, they suck.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
The original thread about it on CGC was started July 12 of 2019. Brittany from CGC acknowledges the error in November of 2019. As @DrWatson points out, the examples above are new errors, just recently graded. This problem still exists???

Also, the ASM 3 is registered with an APPARENT grade, but has a blue label. The ASM 7 has restoration with a Universal label. What % of this process did they get right, 0%? I wish I could do a bad job and get paid.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector kon_jelly private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah this isn't a one-time problem that CGC fixed, it seems to be an ongoing issue. This seller either didn't care or purposely obscured the fact that they were restored for his sales. He sucks, but the fact that CGC can't (or won't) address the problem that allows these labels to be printed in the first place is the bigger problem.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
I think a different color would be massive. The extra wordage is somewhat of a difference that can be easy to miss. I've had one CBCS restored book and when it's in the box or on a wall it looks just like all my other ones. For something as big a deal as restoration the label should be shouting at me.

Chill out... they just gave you yellow.
IMHO I like CBCS restored labels; it clearly states Restored in bold right above the grade. With free graders notes I see no validity in reason for missing the resto.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson wow!!! Thanks for the detective work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon_jelly
Yeah this isn't a one-time problem that CGC fixed, it seems to be an ongoing issue. This seller either didn't care or purposely obscured the fact that they were restored for his sales. He sucks, but the fact that CGC can't (or won't) address the problem that allows these labels to be printed in the first place is the bigger problem.

^^^^^^^^^ ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^
Post 30 IP   flag post

Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Well like anything else. Read the label. Honestly I think its a bad mess up but you have to read CBCS labels close also
Post 31 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
And that dude getting torched on CGC right now
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector KeepItClunky private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know how many books got the incorrect resto labels when they unveiled the character labels, but it can't be that many can it? They screwed up my Spidey #13, I sent it in knowing it was restored, and fully expected a purple label. I was surprised when I received this. Not sure what to do with it as it irks me that it's wrong even though the resto is stated. I'll probably send it on for a reholder eventually.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Delete
Post 34 IP   flag post
Delete
Post 35 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@KeepItClunky thanks for sharing. It appears CGC is looking to capitalize on every possible opportunity. By not giving you a restored label they get to charge that extra $5 for the spider-man label. My gut tells me that CGC knowingly made the choice to not give the book a purple label b/c they would be losing out on the opportunity to charge customers that extra $5 (I think I've far surpassed the maximum posts that should be allowed by a single person on a thread already).
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@KeepItClunky thanks for sharing. It appears CGC is looking to capitalize on every possible opportunity. By not giving you a restored label they get to charge that extra $5 for the spider-man label. I can't prove it, but there's no doubt in my mind that CGC knowingly made the choice to not give the book a purple label b/c they would be losing out on the opportunity to charge customers that extra $5 (I think I've far surpassed the maximum posts that should be allowed by a single person on a thread already).
in full disclosure, this book was subbed when they first unveiled the labels. It could have been an honest mistake, or something they just didn't think through (why they can't make these labels purple is weird to begin with). However, if it's still happening that's inexcusable.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
The Restoration is listed on the label much the same way CBCS does it. Seems to me there's a little bit of fake outrage going on here. It's a non-issue to me personally.

@KeepItClunky The ASM #13 clearly states Restoration on the label.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
The Restoration is listed on the label much the same way CBCS does it. Seems to me there's a little bit of fake outrage going on here. It's a non-issue to me personally.

@KeepItClunky The ASM #13 clearly states Restoration on the label.

Not really. AFAIC, the blue label and restoration details are fine, but I think the issue for most collectors would be the CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE in boldface at the top. That's clearly an unforced error.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The first 2 labels at the beginning of the thread don't mention restoration. In fact for "glue on spine" I would assume that book is not considered restored and the glue just impacted the grade? As for "cover trimmed", without the designation of "Restored" we have to decide for ourselves whether CGC no longer considers that restoration or just changed their labeling process. But even for the book that states "Restoration", this is inconsistent with what the market has been conditioned to expect from CGC restored labeling. CBCS never conditioned the market to expect a different label color for Restored books.
Post 40 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
The thing is, if you are a CGC collector, you see that blue label and it tells you it's NOT a restored book. Then you find out it is, in the very fine print, the smallest text on the label. Text you usually don't find on a Blue label, so you are not out looking for it. On CBCS books, you ARE looking, since there is no other way to know, no color change. It's a whole different standard.

If you are checking it out after the fact, someone has directed you to look at the label closely, like it's being pointed out to you where to look, not like the first general assessment a buyer might have. Also, buyers usually are made aware of restoration SOMEWHERE in the description or title. The listings in question couldn't be more skeletal.

What's missing here is basic honesty by the seller. It's obvious, even from the ensuing comments, that the seller knew of the odd situation, but decided not to disclose it. That might cost him money, so better to just not mention it. Withholding important info that affects a buyer's judgement and assessment is deceptive. And this isn't a $40 item. It's expensive. Not that the price should determine if it's right or wrong. High or low it's wrong, but it does amplify the situation.

Honesty seems to be another quality that is getting watered down over time.
Post 41 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Don't buy the character labels. Period. Junk cash-grab.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector kon_jelly private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus

I'll do you one better - submit to CBCS instead and don't worry about wasting money on character labels. 😊
Post 43 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I'll do you one better - submit to CBCS instead and don't worry about wasting money on character labels. 😊

I buy the books - not the labels. CGC Signature Series is my 1 exception.

I actively avoid the character labels. They simply look awful.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Kind of off topic but what is the point of mentioning "dried" glue. Not like a book is going to arrive with wet glue...
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
Kind of off topic but what is the point of mentioning "dried" glue. Not like a book is going to arrive with wet glue...
That term refers to any glue that doesn’t serve a purpose, not there to adhere a cover or pages, etc.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t like the character labels, personally.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Wow! Now I don't even want to contribute to CGC by buying their slabs from third party sellers. I wonder what @mediaslave has to say about this.

Since you asked so nicely...

I think it a weak ass bullshit cash grab. They make the extra cash on the character label, but don't do it in purple? Weak.

If its restored, purple label. No characters for you and your dirty book.
Post 48 IP   flag post
It's certain these graphics are supplied by Marvel under license, likely some type of revenue sharing. Maybe, by contract, they can only do the blue and yellow. Maybe Marvel doesn't want their graphic on the "dirtier" books such as Restored and Qualified.

Or it could be that due to the fixed number of them to be had, they are limiting them to Blue and Yellow. When they're gone, they're gone. Try to get a Thor graphic now, no go.
Post 49 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
One thing I noticed is that the CGC thread is from late 2019, yet the Ebay sales are from this month!!

One of the books had sold earlier, and the buyer noticed that the book was restored and cancelled the sale. It appears the seller then submitted more books this way hoping lightning would strike more than once for him, and it did. Massive oversight on CGC's part with these labels. So the seller exploited the loophole and got busted on his last sales.

If you want to read a good meltdown just peruse the first three pages of the thread calling him out. Too bad it didn't happen on Friday, as it would have made a great Friday thread. There are so many things wrong with this seller you have to read it to really get the full flavor of his ignorance. And to make matters worse the seller is an Overstreet Advisor.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I can’t like this enough.

I’m sure they have value for some people, but I just want a fairly accurate appraisal by an objective third party grader.

I know what Spidey looks like. He’s on the cover.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't seen his level of 'deflecting the blame' in awhile, if ever.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I’ll do you one better: Why is Gamora?
Post 53 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
One thing I noticed is that the CGC thread is from late 2019, yet the Ebay sales are from this month!!

One of the books had sold earlier, and the buyer noticed that the book was restored and cancelled the sale. It appears the seller then submitted more books this way hoping lightning would strike more than once for him, and it did. Massive oversight on CGC's part with these labels. So the seller exploited the loophole and got busted on his last sales.

If you want to read a good meltdown just peruse the first three pages of the thread calling him out. Too bad it didn't happen on Friday, as it would have made a great Friday thread. There are so many things wrong with this seller you have to read it to really get the full flavor of his ignorance. And to make matters worse the seller is an Overstreet Advisor.

Dupe Cackle is an Overstreet advisor?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
So glad Rob Liefeld boycotted the Deadpool label. I follow whatever he says. This isn't going to be an issue for me.

Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?