Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsPop Culture

SDCC, ghosts of convention's past and looking to the future...12470

Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is for memories of SDCC from past years. Think of it as a 2020 reflection via photos and/or stories folks want to share. This isn't meant to be a sad tribute as this year's virtual con is a great set-up for rebooting next year when we're hopefully able to put this pandemic in the rear view. I'll start this off with some images from 2011...

The Bat-wrap

Buffy and Guild actor Felicia Day

The late great John Verzyl and a book I'd just purchased.

Mitchell Mehdy and Rick Whitelock

Rachel Caine in a group author's signing

Rick making a last minute sale to your's truly.

I have a whole bunch of images from this and more recent SDCC's, but rather than hog all the space let's see if there's kewl stuff others want to share.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know who Rick is, but Ricks books behind him make my 100 long box comic collection look like a slice of rotted swiss cheese compared to the approx 50 books he has behind him.

Sheesh what a collection!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector ThreeSeas private msg quote post Address this user
2011.. It is hard to believe that it was nine years ago. I've never been to the SDCC so only get to see it through the net. Thanks for posting.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I don't know who Rick is, but Ricks books behind him make my 100 long box comic collection look like a slice of rotted swiss cheese compared to the approx 50 books he has behind him.

Rick Whitelock (NEWFORCE Collectibles, orig. out of the Florida panhandle), he's known as Gator on the CGC boards. He's a collector/dealer of GA as well as a Gator's fan, hence the GAtor board moniker. Here he is at the annual Rare High Grade party during SDCC in 2018 (more on the RHG gatherings later)...

PS: Rick was set-up at SDCC this year for virtual on-line business as was John Verzyl’s son and other dealers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That's not a collection bud, that's inventory! Little guys like us have collections, these dealers have inventory the way a Watch and Jewelry store would have inventory. I would love to see the annual financial statements of these dealers who do all their business in back issues. I'm curious to know if they can make enough buy/sell spread on their inventory to show a decent profit after paying salaries and all the selling expenses. I would imagine that for most it's a labor of love that doesn't show a big profit year in and year out. And then there's probably that rare few that make an incredible collection find that sets them up with profitable books to sell for decades.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

That's not a collection bud, that's inventory! Little guys like us have collections, these dealers have inventory the way a Watch and Jewelry store would have inventory. I would love to see the annual financial statements of these dealers who do all their business in back issues. I'm curious to know if they can make enough buy/sell spread on their inventory to show a decent profit after paying salaries and all the selling expenses. I would imagine that for most it's a labor of love that doesn't show a big profit year in and year out. And then there's probably that rare few that make an incredible collection find that sets them up with profitable books to sell for decades.

Most guys & gals who deal comics also collect and have remained in the business out of a love of comics. Some dealers have books in their inventory that they consider part of their collections, but for almost every comic there's a price unless a particular book has some special sentimental value. That's just good business.

BTW, happy B-day.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
BTW, happy B-day.

Oh wow, is it that time already? Actually the date is not my personal birthday, it's my CBCS Forum Birthday. So I've been on the forum for exactly one year as of today, the only forum I've been a part of in the last decade. Strangely, it follows my wedding anniversary by one day. Which means that last year, the day after my wedding anniversary I was digging around the internet and something compelled me to find and join the CBCS forum! My goodness, what a long, strange 12 month trip it's been!

By the way, if the purpose of the forum is to inspire more business, I have to admit that it worked with me. Just looked at the numbers: Since joining the forum 12 months ago I've submitted 4 batches with a total of 77 books. In the 5 years prior I had submitted a total of 7 batches to CBCS with a total of 86 books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
BTW, happy B-day.

Oh wow, is it that time already? Actually the date is not my personal birthday, it's my CBCS Forum Birthday. So I've been on the forum for exactly one year as of today, the only forum I've been a part of in the last decade. Strangely, it follows my wedding anniversary by one day. Which means that last year, the day after my wedding anniversary I was digging around the internet and something compelled me to find and join the CBCS forum! My goodness, what a long, strange 12 month trip it's been!

By the way, if the purpose of the forum is to inspire more business, I have to admit that it worked with me. Just looked at the numbers: Since joining the forum 12 months ago I've submitted 4 batches with a total of 77 books. In the 5 years prior I had submitted a total of 7 batches to CBCS with a total of 86 books.

Buckeroo Banzai quote: "No matter where you go, there you are!" I guess this is a way for CBCS to remind customers that they can have their cake and eat it too.
Post 8 IP   flag post
More RHG gathering photos...

Post 9 IP   flag post
600891 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?