Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been thinking about this for a few days and can't decide which way to go. So, I thought I'd reach out to everyone here and see if any of you had an opinion.

Years ago, I learned about a series of books from the 1950s that I really thought were cool, although I never actually decided to collect them. There's only a total of about 15 issues, they aren't overly expensive and it's not crazy difficult to find many of them in FN and below (although I wouldn't call them common by any means). So it wouldn't be out of the question for me to collect the series.

These books don't have any first appearances that will turn up in movies or anything like that, so I don't see anything suddenly increasing demand or price for them. They're just cool books that I've thought about collecting for decades.

Recently, I came across an issue from this series of books that just so happens to be the highest graded copy of this particular issue in the CGC census (from a total of seven (7) graded copies). The asking price is not overly expensive and, in my mind, is reasonable given its condition (8.0). I've been considering buying it but just haven't pulled the trigger.

With all that said, my question is this: do I pull the trigger on this book knowing that they don't show up for sale in this condition very often or do I use the money that might be spent on this book for other comics that I have been actively collecting lately but that are more common (say SA or BA comics)?

I'm generally in the "collect what you like and you can never go wrong" camp. However, the thing here is that, either way I go, I'm buying what I like. It's just a question of continuing to buy SA/BA that I've been buying for a while or buying this very cool, high grade 50s issue and, more than likely, deciding to collect the remaining issues, too.

If you've made it this far, I really appreciate the interest and I'm really curious what all of y'all think. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 - You sound like you will eventually pick up this series, so at that point you will always regret not owning the highest grade copy of an issue in the run. I mean, how cool is that, right? Do it now or you will always think about it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Go for it! Everything else being equal, 50s books are always harder to come by than 60s and 70s books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I would absolutely buy the book, you can always sell it for one of the commons but maybe not the other way around
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Go for it most definitely!! You must...if you've been thinking about these books for decades, I insist you buy them lol! I'm now thinking about these books and I want you to have them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The road is littered with squirrels that couldn't make a decision.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like my fascination with the Mysterious Traveler...get the book now and slowly pick up the others as you find copies you like. And good luck!
Post 7 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
To be honest, the answers received are exactly what I expected... and what I'm thinking myself.

Ok, I'm going to buy it right now. I will definitely put it on the "New to my Collection" thread so that y'all can check it out. Thanks, everyone.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Get it. You can get the rest later.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Done! Bought and paid for. Now I just have to wait on delivery.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. It was the right decision. 😄👍
Post 10 IP   flag post
600638 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?