Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Firehawk2069 private msg quote post Address this user
Received a package from eBay yesterday. It was very damaged and not really packaged well. Should I open and check the damage to the comics or just keep it sealed and start a return?

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
The first step is to punch the mail carrier in the face.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
I would say return without opening. Books shouldn't be shipped in those flat rate super fragile envelopes. Had the same thing happen to me. Also, get them shipped somewhere you know will be safe so the mail man can't crush them when in a hurry. BTW nice jeep.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Firehawk2069 you've already started on the right track by taking pictures. Take pictures of opening of the package, then the contents. Contact the seller and explain what happened. Don't accuse them of shoddy packing, just say this is how you received it. If the seller is worth a damn, they'll take action to rectify it without getting eBay involved.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Postman should not be stuffing mailers in the box like that - absolutely agree with this.

BUT (and there's always a but) - Y'know - 2 thick pieces of cardboard within the Priority Mailer would have physically prevented the mailman from stuffing in the mailbox. Unless he/she is King Kong.

I go for proximate root cause and proximate root cause is seller did not provide appropriate packaging to prevent this. This is on them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
@Firehawk2069 you've already started on the right track by taking pictures. Take pictures of opening of the package, then the contents. Contact the seller and explain what happened. Don't accuse them of shoddy packing, just say this is how you received it. If the seller is worth a damn, they'll take action to rectify it without getting eBay involved.

This.

Or, even video the opening of the package. That way, the seller knows you’re not trying anything.

Were these high-end books that would have shipping coverage? If so, the seller could possibly make a claim for damages.

The mailer may have survived if it wasn’t for the juicebeauty.com box stuffed on top of it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
You also may want to consider a different type of mailbox for future mailings.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
At least the Juicebeauty skin care product came out of this ok
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
This is the kind of mailer that New Kadia or whatever used to send me 2 inches of raw books... I think you can image what happened to them on their way to Vancouver.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
I would let the seller deal with getting reparations from the post office.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I ship double boxed on everything and still put fragile warning on the box. This guy didnt even mark the envelope with one warning.

To be honest, I wouldnt blame the post office person. I would blame the packer.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
juicebeauty...LOL!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
I blame both, but the postperson should also know that the mailer doesn’t contain “L” shaped documents.
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
True. I agree to an certain extent. But what idiot ships valuables in an envelope? It's not the post persons job to guess what's in the package. They are just delivering.

Given the constraints the post office just put on overtime and mailing, things are only going to get worse.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't open it. Whatever is in it HAS to be damaged unless they were already low grade. I wouldn't give the seller the slightest reason to question your side of it. Just return it as you received it.
I would still contact them with these pics first, though, just so you can maybe get an idea if they'll be difficult about it.
Post 15 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Well they are automatically insured for $50 - $100. You can file an online claim if they are damaged or ask the seller to do it.

I would send the seller pics of the package you received and see what they will do for you.
Do you want to get replacements, or just return them and get your money back?

As long as you pack the books well those envelopes can be used to ship without problems.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
The first step is to punch the mail carrier in the face.

That was a d..k move for sure.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Comics arrived today in horrible condition! Haven’t opened the package yet, wanted to see what you want me to do.
That’s what I wrote.

Your package is insuranced with the PO once it leaves my hands there is nothing I can do. They are responsible for safe delivery.
Sellers response.

I took a total of 7 pictures and sent them immediately to the seller.
The books were not high value but I’ve been trying to find The Defenders #10 for awhile at a decent price. The other 2 were Fantasy
Masterpieces 4&7 just added those for fun. By the listing pictures I would say all were 4.5 to 6.5. All together with shipping it was $55.52. Sellers listing states no returns, but I don’t feel I should be the one dealing with the USPS.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the comics arrive to you in the described condition. The seller is shirking their duties, whether they realize it or not.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you to all for the responses! I’m going to start the return right now and I will not be opening.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I opened one that looked worse than that and the book was not damaged at all, pure luck
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector r_kruss private msg quote post Address this user
If I remember correctly, eBay has a money back guarantee on purchases.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Were the comics at least sandwiched between heavy cardboard? Seller saying it is out of his hands is wrong. This is an easy snad case which he would have to pay the return shipping then contact usps for a refund. Depending on his packaging, he might not get reimbursed.
Post 23 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Unless the deal was so good that it will never be repeated, you are doing the right thing not opening it. Just give it back to your carrier intact, not opened and say, "I don't want to accept this - it's damaged.". They have to take it back and return it. Make sure they SCAN IT REFUSED as you give it to them (or the clerk at the post office). Now your seller can't prove it was received, tracking says Refused. Then you file with eBay as Did Not Receive, and you want a refund, not a replacement. If that runs into any obstacle, file with PayPal or your credit card company.

Let the seller try to get reimbursed by the post office though insurance, which he might, going by the mailbox photo. Stuffing is not proper handling. Nor is it right to under-protect your outgoing shipment, setting it up for failure. All of that will be sorted out. But that's not your problem, not something you need to spend YOUR time on.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I’m surprised with the seller’s response. eBay sellers have to kiss the buyers a$$, there is no way around it.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I’m surprised with the seller’s response. eBay sellers have to kiss the buyers a$$, there is no way around it.

Yeah, but you can tell by the lack of care he put into packing that he didn't think it was his responsibility to get it there safely. So his response is kind of what I would have expected.
Post 26 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Yeah, but you can tell by the lack of care he put into packing that he didn't think it was his responsibility to get it their safely. So his response is kind of what I would have expected.

And this is the problem. People selling who have no knowledge of customer service before, during, or after a sale. Buy my crap, give me your money, take what I send you and be happy.

There is a wide spectrum of sellers on eBay, and Buyers, too. "Life is like a box of chocolates...." Also fits for eBay transactions. Thank you, Mr. Gump.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

Yeah, but you can tell by the lack of care he put into packing that he didn't think it was his responsibility to get it there safely. So his response is kind of what I would have expected.

The seller will learn the hard way.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the comics arrive to you in the described condition. The seller is shirking their duties, whether they realize it or not.

Exactly. While the seller has no control over what the carrier does, they are the ONLY ones responsible for packing it in a way this shouldn't happen.
Post 29 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Firehawk2069 Sorry that happened to you and WELCOME to the forum!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601213 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?