Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

New help grading this New Mutants 981241

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS

$25? Yeah, you did fine as long as it's all there. I'd pay $25 for those all day, if I were a flipper.

I planned to keep it but may sell it and get a higher grade I was hoping it was at least a 7 but I can see I'm way off there

I would also say it is VG/FN (5.0). Maybe a bit higher in person. It is getting downgraded, I think, because it is a fairly recent issue, which makes the flaws somewhat jarring. There are multiple creases along the spine that break color, some stress around the top staple, the cover looks a bit loose (?), and a few small color-breaking folds. But the colors are vibrant, there aren't any visible tears, only minor blunting on the corners, and the pages look white. The worst of the spine damage can be pressed out, I think, to make it present better. It's a good deal, at any rate.

As I'm new to this I'm not exactly sure how to press them any insight on that? As far as the pages go they are yellowing the cover isn't really loose I'd say

The CBCS recommended company for pressing/cleaning is CFPComics. I've sent some in, but they haven't finished quite yet. (I am new to pressing too.) There are some others out there, but I don't have any experience with them. Some, such as Comics Inaflash or Hero Restoration, will pass along a discount (10%-20%) to submit to CBCS or CGC. There are high-end folks, too, but those are probably better suited for the really valuable books (minimum pressing cost: $50). Oh, yeah ... Heroes Haven has an in-house guy, too, but I forget the name of his company. [Okay, just looked it up ... it is Pete, from CPC Comics.]
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid thanks for that info think this one is worth getting a press? I don't have a lot invested in it and it already has some flaws that pressing couldn't help
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Tedsaid thanks for that info think this one is worth getting a press? I don't have a lot invested in it and it already has some flaws that pressing couldn't help

You know, I'm not sure. It looks like it doesn't quite lie flat, and the cover is a bit crooked. Pressing will help the former (as I understand it) and maybe the latter. Obviously the color breaks can't be fixed, but it looks like the spine stresses / creases are pretty severe, affecting the spine integrity. I think a pressing could help get some of that back.

But probably, it wouldn't increase in value much more than the cost of pressing. Depends on what you want to do with it, I guess. If it's an issue you love, I'd have it pressed and cleaned and encapsulated. If you just bought it at a low price to flip, then maybe encapsulation is good just to fix the grade, make it easier to sell. But you could probably just put it under a heavy book for 6 months then sell it on eBay with some nice photos. :-)
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Nightrob private msg quote post Address this user
$25 is a very good price for a New Mutants #98 in any grade! I'm sure a coverless one would sell for that price. I would say without looking at it in person 4.5 to 5.0 is about the grade. Honestly, you may just want to hold on to it for a while and save up for a higher certified grade. If you aren't looking for a super high end investment only grade, an 8.0 won't set you back too much and it will have great eye appeal.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
4.5. That spine has a lot of color breaks
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
VG+
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrob
$25 is a very good price for a New Mutants #98 in any grade! I'm sure a coverless one would sell for that price. I would say without looking at it in person 4.5 to 5.0 is about the grade. Honestly, you may just want to hold on to it for a while and save up for a higher certified grade. If you aren't looking for a super high end investment only grade, an 8.0 won't set you back too much and it will have great eye appeal.

Post 32 IP   flag post
597979 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?