Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Value of first cover apperance12380

Collector groovy31 private msg quote post Address this user
Tough subject to search for, but what is the resale value of a first cover apperance of a new character? Not the first internal apperance, just a cover apperance. Thinking of the Robin King variant cover in Death Metal #3.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Totally depends on the character.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I know the first venom cover demands a decent premium.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The 1st cover appearance seems to be the new trend with escalation of a value of a comic.
It seemed to start with that new Captain Marvel 2nd print something or another where she's on the cover. Now Knull and who knows what else I'm missing

Like most things in this industry lately, it doesn't have to make sense - it just is. This is not always the case, but certainly occurs often.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

Like most things in this industry lately, it doesn't have to make sense - it just is. This is not always the case, but certainly occurs often.

Thank you! It's almost like the mid 90's all over again. Granted I'm really digging a lot of the cool variant art covers but I'm almost worried about a repeat of the overdone gimmick covers.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Third-party grading has definitely helped perpetuate this trend. Since collectors can no longer open the comic, they would like to actually see the character on the cover of their expensive book that is now locked in a plastic shell.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Third-party grading has definitely helped perpetuate this trend. Since collectors can no longer open the comic, they would like to actually see the character on the cover of their expensive book that is now locked in a plastic shell.

Don't know why I didn't think of it like that, but you're right.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Funny this came up. A month or so ago I bought the Flash 106 first Gorilla Grodd with a cover of Pied Piper. This week for far less money I bought the first Gorilla Grodd cover, which I find far more appealing for display purposes. The first appearance without a cover appearance is a bit of a letdown.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Funny this came up. A month or so ago I bought the Flash 106 first Gorilla Grodd with a cover of Pied Piper. This week for far less money I bought the first Gorilla Grodd cover, which I find far more appealing for display purposes. The first appearance without a cover appearance is a bit of a letdown.
So much this...says the proud owner of hawkman 4, Zatannas first...

x men 129...first appearance of both Emma frost and Kitty Pryde...

and....
Mister Miracle 4...first Big Barda..with a cover Blurb but no Barda....

Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
ahhhhh what could have been....

Post 10 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I do like first cover appearance of wolverine 👍🏻
Post 11 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
One can’t ignore media interest ...past, present & future... as a factor in value speculation

For instance, even a GA character’s first appearance has future growth potential...

First cover/interior appearance of The Vision by Simon & Kirby. The character may have changed a great deal during the intervening years, but the concept and successful execution of the character in a modern mainstream media context adds fuel to it’s market potential.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica is this Vision the same Vision as the Avengers character? Are they the same character or do they only share the same name?

I guess I'm asking is Avengets 57 the Visions 1st appearance or first silverage appearance?
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Avengers 57

This is the first appearance of the Silver Age Vision. He is not to be confused with Aarkus, the alien Vision of the Golden Age
Post 14 IP   flag post
@GAC

Check this out. The cover of Avengers #57 is actually an homage to the Marvel Mystery Comics splash page featuring the first appearance of the Golden Age Vision

Post 15 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte Thanks!! I didnt think they were the same. Why do CBCS labels print this way then? This makes it look like he's the same character as the GA one. Its like the Avengers 4 label referencing Cap.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC interesting
Post 17 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Bronte Thanks!! I didnt think they were the same. Why do CBCS labels print this way then? This makes it look like he's the same character as the GA one. Its like the Avengers 4 label referencing Cap.

Because both Visions are Marvel characters and the Silver Age Vision is loosely based on the Golden Age Vision.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Because both Visions are Marvel characters and the Silver Age Vision is loosely based on the Golden Age Vision.

I guess also "1st appearance of the Silver Age Vision" is different than "1st appearance of the Vision in the Silver Age."
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Yes, good point!

@Tedsaid Yes, also a good point!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC

Check this out. The cover of Avengers #57 is actually an homage to the Marvel Mystery Comics splash page featuring the first appearance of the Golden Age Vision

I definitely didnt know this..very cool!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Reading it more carefully, this makes perfect sense now, @Tedsaid Thanks!

"I guess also "1st appearance of the Silver Age Vision" is different than "1st appearance of the Vision in the Silver Age."
Post 22 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster Yoo no likey chromium, holofoil, acetate, embossed, glow in the dark, scratch and sniff covers? I am pretty sure i missed about 8765937 other types.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I actually bought/prefer Fantastic Four 49 rather than 48 as it has Galactus and the Surfer on the cover, a first for both.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an example of an over busy cover with no Nebula on the cover. I never liked this cover.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
@GAC

I definitely didnt know this..very cool!!

Post 26 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Here is an example of an over busy cover with no Nebula on the cover. I never liked this cover.

It’s looks like Starfox is about to be taken out by Captain America’s shield.
Post 27 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@CaptainCanuck but on the "my cup is half-full", Cap's shield is stuck on Mr. T's chest.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@CaptainCanuck but on the "my cup is half-full", Cap's shield is stuck on Mr. T's chest.

👍
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector groovy31 private msg quote post Address this user
I remembered the covers I was thinking of: Gwenom in Gardians of Knowhere #1/Spider-Gwen 24, Mary Jane Venom in ASM 678. Then with Dark Metal #3 coming in August with the Robin King variant cover. It doesn't seem that CBCS or CGC denote a first cover appearance of a character, that I could find.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600710 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?