Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Should I Purchase Hobby Insurance?12339

Collector Rinova private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I'll start with a little background, I started buying comics around 1983 and started collecting them around 1985, I slowed down on collecting when the babies where born and since then I’ve accumulated over 1700 comics. I started slabbing some of my comics last year. I never thought about buying hobby insurance until I read @flanders post Do I need Insurance on a CBCS Submission?. I know nothing about this, can someone offer me some advice on purchasing insurance. Will home owners insurance cover my comics? I will need to call my home owners insurance and check if this is an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Rinova
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here are a couple of threads discussing the topic.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Things may be different from where you live, but State Farm in Florida required some kind of addendum to home owners policy. The added cost was ridiculous.

I ended up buying insurance from collect insure

https://collectinsure.com

I pay about 600$ a year for a 125k or 150k policy. (I forget which)

I have never had to submit a claim, so I have no idea how they are. But a few members of forum use them too.

Almost all my books are graded and I just took pictures of serial numbers. For valuation, I used gocollect and Ebay for approximate value of my books. I have zero ideas on how you would deal with raw books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You would want to insure anything of value being shipped. If you drop comics off to be graded at a show, the grading company will insure the item for the value you put on the form.

Unless you use your own account for the return shipping you are covered there as well.

You should not expect that your home owner's policy to cover the fair market value of your collectibles. They might give you a token amount but nothing close to what they are worth.

As insurance can be expensive you should consider that the probability of a fire or theft may be fairly low if your home is secure and you do not plan on travelling with your comics.

How much you insure them for is a judgement call based on your unique situation, your risk tolerance, and your priorities.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I talked to some friends who work in the insurance industry and they tell me the to just find an insurance agent who specializes in it. They (friends in insurance) said they would need pictures/scans, details of condition to go along with pictures, serial numbers, appraisals from established dealers, etc to be able to craft an appropriate coverage plan.
Post 5 IP   flag post
600834 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?