Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Verified now yellow labels?12314

Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Is this true? There's a rumour floating around that CBCS is now doing yellow labels for Verified Signatures as well.

I hate the red/pink label, but I really hope this isn't true...
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@mediaslave Yes, it's true...I for one welcome this news even though I had no issues with the red label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Boytcam private msg quote post Address this user
Is this true as of now, or something to be implemented soon?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Supposed to have been a change since July 1st, i thought
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, they are currently using the yellow labels for verified.
Post 5 IP   flag post
New cases also.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Borock confirmed it weeks ago already. Fantastic news, along with the change to "Signatures" instead of "Sigs"!
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Edge328 Yes! happy with sigs becoming signature(s).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Def apprec reconfig of sigs to “signature(s)”.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh good I’m sending my first verified signature order in I wasn’t keen on the red label as it does seem to suggest a fault ! At first sight. I’m just hoping the signature pans out and can be authenticated otherwise I have a comic that someone has just scribbled on 😂🤔.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
This goes right along with their more collector friendly business model.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I have been having an internal debate as to whether or not I should post up my thoughts on this. Not that I'm some special ass or anything, but I do tend to be direct. And long.

First, some clarity. I really do love CBCS (except for the labels...terrible). Tim is by far my favourite character from the convention scene. Most honest and direct guy I have ever met. Steve is great too. I like CBCS's honesty, and that they seem to work hard to be transparent and consistent. They offer great value and excellent service. I have never once doubted the grades I got from them.

Now, with that said...

This is a cheap, shitty, and worst of all horribly transparent move. In my opinion, this is CBCS following the Mercedes model and putting AMG on anything they make whether it deserves it or not, knowing people love that logo.

Witnessed is witnessed. Verified is verified. They should be in different colours. They deserve more than a tiny ass notation.

This feels like a really poorly thought out, cheap move to bring more glamour to the verified label. I hate to say it but it reeks of desperation almost. Anyone that collects and is honest with themselves knows that Witnessed is #1, and verified (except for certain cases like Kirby etc) is a second-place option. It just is. The price collectors pay for each of those books makes that crystal clear. My muddying the value of the yellow label, in my opinion is just cheapened the CBCS brand. IMO it would have been much better to just choose another color for verified.

I floated the idea of following the first and second place analogy by having gold/yellow for Witnessed, and Silver/ Grey for verified. That would have made verified much more attractive to many collectors. It would have appeased those that hate the red label, and those that didn't care about the red label would have likely been just fine with silver.

I'm really disappointed with this move. CBCS has made some great moves with the new cases, the private signings, and of course their presence at shows.

I feel like this is a big, big miss.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
I couldn't disagree more.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge328
I couldn't disagree more.

....great.

Care to actually back that up with anything?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I can see how some may see the red label as a bad thing, and I think it should be green. Green is good- Green means 'GO', not 'STOP'.

I know some would cringe thinking people might mistake their books for CGC Green labels, but I wonder if the same would be worried about their new Yellow Verified labels being mistaken for Witnessed sigs.

I haven't looked- Will they be different, or will it be in the wording?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I haven't looked- Will they be different, or will it be in the wording?

Siggy has good responses. Edge, pay attention

And I dunno. It would have to be a massive difference though to not feel like a cheap tactic to up the value of a verified signature.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
Anyone that collects and is honest with themselves knows that Witnessed is #1, and verified (except for certain cases like Kirby etc) is a second-place option.

I prefer an old school signature that has to be verified. A signature from before the days that witnessing and slabbing turned signatures into commodities.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Anyone that collects and is honest with themselves knows that Witnessed is #1, and verified (except for certain cases like Kirby etc) is a second-place option.

I prefer an old school signature that has to be verified. A signature from before the days that witnessing and slabbing turned signatures into commodities.

That's great and all, but really that's your only choice. And it doesn't reflect on the change that CBCS is doing between verified and witnessed.

But I agree, old school sigs are fine verified if thats the only choice. I have some McFarlane sigs from 91 that I want to send in, and I'm fine with verified since its the only option.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS doesn’t have a different colored label for restored. So, why have a different colored label for verified?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
CBCS doesn’t have a different colored label for restored. So, why have a different colored label for verified?

So because they screwed up on restored, might as well screw up the rest?

Really?

Really.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@mediaslave I agree that silver would be a good choice for verified signatures but I don't think having the same color labels for witnessed/verified takes away from the value of a unique label for a witnessed signature. I feel if you're paying a $25 fee for each signature and using a credible service, that in itself warrants the same label color as one that is witnessed. Potential buyer's can make the determination if they value the two the same. I personally read labels and look at books very closely before purchasing so if someone doesn't notice the notation and makes decisions based on grades and colors then they should be more careful before making financial decisions and learn more about the company that graded the comic they are interested in before purchasing one.

@EbaySeller has a good point about how older signatures in a way have more value, because a higher percentage of people appreciated the opportunity to actually meet and obtain the signature of a creator on their comic rather than getting signatures to primarily increase the value of the comic.

I don't think it's a cheap move by CBCS to bring more glamour to it's labels. CBCS listened to customers and the majority wanted a change from the red label. They answered the demands of the market and probably felt that this was the best business decision.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

So because they screwed up on restored, might as well screw up the rest?

Really?

Really.

That's obviously your opinion and you are entitled to it. But the reality is that no one (that I'm aware of) has ever been confused by it. The labels plainly state "conserved" or "restored". Believe it or not, it appears that people do read labels.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders As I think about it, I think it's like Newsstand vs. Direct...I prefer a verified signature the way some people prefer a newsstand copy...It has a different backstory and different survival rate.

@mediaslave You feel it's a bad idea, and I don't want to just disagree without thinking it through. Bad business ideas typically have business consequences. What are the consequences to CBCS that you foresee as a result of this decision?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
(A bunch of well thought out, good points that take up a lot of space in a quote)

OK, so lets go with the Mercedes analogy.

If you walked into a dealership, do you think it's fair that the C63 and C250 are presented as exactly the same thing just because they might have the same AMG logo on them? They are two different things entirely. But the population as a whole might not know that.

It's definitely a cheap move. It's mimicking a higher regarded product and trying to ride the witnessed label's more esteemed (and demanded) coattails. Its essentially a merging, saying all signatures are the same. They are not.

Its product camouflage. It's sneaky and a marketing trick used by companies all the time.

And they absolutely should have ditched the red. The red label is an AWFUL idea, and I've said that for years (search the forum, its funny. Great thread.) Basic colour theory tells you red is danger/warning, so why the hell would you put that on a book? And then make the damn thing pink on top of that??? Hilarious.

They absolutely should change the verified label. But this was not the thing to do. This is clearly a recognition that the yellow label is a highly regarded product by many collectors, and changing the red to yellow is a transparent ploy to try and artificially boost the standing of a verified signature. IMO, of course.
Post 24 IP   flag post
And I agree, @EbaySeller si right that verified is just fine for older signatures. But it isn't really applicable to this issue either. :P
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
(A bunch of well thought out, good points that take up a lot of space in a quote)

OK, so lets go with the Mercedes analogy.

If you walked into a dealership, do you think it's fair that the C63 and C250 are presented as exactly the same thing just because they might have the same AMG logo on them? They are two different things entirely. But the population as a whole might not know that.

It's definitely a cheap move. It's mimicking a higher regarded product and trying to ride the witnessed label's more esteemed (and demanded) coattails. Its essentially a merging, saying all signatures are the same. They are not.

Its product camouflage. It's sneaky and a marketing trick used by companies all the time.

And they absolutely should have ditched the red. The red label is an AWFUL idea, and I've said that for years (search the forum, its funny. Great thread.) Basic colour theory tells you red is danger/warning, so why the hell would you put that on a book? And then make the damn thing pink on top of that??? Hilarious.

They absolutely should change the verified label. But this was not the thing to do. This is clearly a recognition that the yellow label is a highly regarded product by many collectors, and changing the red to yellow is a transparent ploy to try and artificially boost the standing of a verified signature. IMO, of course.

As a collector the label color is pointless to me. so red/yellow its all the same.

If you are a buyyer then you should look the book and label over yourself
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If you walked into a dealership, do you think it's fair that the C63 and C250 are presented as exactly the same thing just because they might have the same AMG logo on them?

I think it would be unfair to represent a C63 Model as a C63 AMG by placing the AMG emblem on the standard model even though it doesn't have the AMG package. If CBCS made no notation as to the signature being witnessed or verified any longer then I would have a problem. Since the label indicates dead center what type of signature it is and is accompanied by a date of signing both on the grader's notes and the label for witnessed signatures, I don't see this being a comparable issue to misrepresenting a specific vehicle model or package.
Post 27 IP   flag post
But the Mercedes clearly says C250 or C63 on the back as well. But by putting that AMG logo on it, you're suggesting they are very similar, when in fact, they are really REALLY not lol.

Even if that analogy isn't the most solid, the point about CBCS riding the yellow train holds true.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
But the Mercedes clearly says C250 or C63 on the back as well. But by putting that AMG logo on it, you're suggesting they are very similar, when in fact, they are really REALLY not lol.

Even if that analogy isn't the most solid, the point about CBCS riding the yellow train holds true.

Lol and I thought I couldnt hate Mercedes any more. I spent far too many years as an auto estimator dealing with damaged Mercedes and all the god damn options. I don't want to even use them in analogy again. I still do think Silver for verified would be a good option but I don't agree that CBCS is deceiving anyone.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I don't think they are deceiving anyone either, but I think what they are doing IS deceptive. Its like the difference between calling someone an asshole, or telling them they are being an asshole. Very different

If you're really bored lemme know, and I'll share the labels I pitched to CBCS.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601475 204 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.