CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

The old debate...Giant size 1 vs Hulk 181....12286

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
None of my friends collect or read comics but they still know who Wolverine is. They are more apt to see a movie of a character that they at least heard of before i.e they all skipped Capt Marvel. If I throw out the name like Colossus or Kitty, they will say who. Name recognition is very important. Just look at Venom. That movie wasn't really good but still made a ton of money due to the fact it had one of the most popular characters in comics. All my friends saw that movie.

Did you just say the movie Logan was a mess? Sounds like you really hate Wolverine. I honestly don't get the hate for the character. Is this entire argument because you don't have any 181s anymore and just have a gsx 1? If you had both, would you still continue trash Wolverine and say "real people" are sick of him?

I'd have to ask what real people are sick of him? Just looking at the box office of the Wolverine trilogy the box office kept increasing. The first film's box office is $373 million, the second film's box office is $414 million, and the final one's box office is $619 million. That's a character whose popularity is growing.
or rather more truly, a box office that is increasing simply due to inflation in ticket prices as the time passes......which is far more likely.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Even worse, a box office and movie culture that will go straight to video, only. Who knows what that will do to market?
Perhaps if you like comic book movies, you will have to have Disney +
Post 127 IP   flag post
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2019&ref_=bo_cso_ac

Once you adjust the grosses, notice, none of the wolverine pictures appear In the listing....
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Even worse, a box office and movie culture that will go straight to video, only. Who knows what that will do to market?
I think you nailed that one..its already happening, look around you.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@Darkseid_of_town

Short term profit or quick flips, I think you have to go modern. My big sleeper specs have already started hitting (echo, modok and Wraith). If you can find an asm 4 cheap, that can be flipped quickly.
eh for me quickly is four years....vs a long term hold at ten or 15 years....when I say quick I am four years out on it

As far as making money on comics, that was my original rationale when I got in to the collecting hobby 12 years ago, (Although I have read them for 50 plus years) but I like them too much to flip them, and I no longer need the extra cash. I do sell the Iron Man 55 types, that I think are done, but I just reinvest.
Don’t have a GSX 1 yet, expensive book. But I will one day
Post 130 IP   flag post

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I proposed the question..which comic do you see as the best investment going forward...IH 181, or Giant size 1 and asked people to vote....
rather than vote, you have repeatedly chosen to attempt to force an argument surrounding how you feel wolverine should be that choice...as I have in turn defended my own viewpoint, then I am accused of really hating the character.

Really not picking a fight DoT, but this really sounds like your 1st post should have specified, "Please, just submit a vote without opinions or comments," even though a Poll or vote wasn't "formally" mentioned until [I think] page 3, post #60. In fact, the first post didn't contain a single question. All comment and opinion.

No problem, that's normal for a message board, as is what followed.

But if everyone had simply voted, would you have held your comments to the H181 votes? If so, fine, but I suspect you still would have commented why the Hulk votes are "wrong". The first few posts following your OP comment favored GSX1 (plus Hulk #2 and "get both" LOL), but when the first comment came up leaning towards H181, you gave suggestions against them.

I don't think many here have a great deal of interest in participating in a thread where they can't explain why they think what they think, but can be told why they're "wrong" (4 years in advance).
Post 131 IP   flag post
That makes sense...reading the posts above its odd how some see it as an either or proposition. I think you can collect, and also sell and trade as you go to soften the impact on your wallet. Generally I buy a comic either to keep or to resell eventually. The keepers never get moved out....no matter how many copies I acquire.

My first year collecting I bought a Giant size 1, read it, kept it a week and traded it back to the shop for other things. Then I realized I was very drawn to the cover art and bought another copy that was lower grade...when times got hard I sold that one. I kept looking at them on the shop walls and when I got back on top, I bought the copy I still have. that was like 87......and I paid less than a hundred at the time. I had the shop owner grade it, and date the receipt and it is still in the bag with the book, graded as a VF ..sadly he is gone now, and so is his shop. I miss that place...
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
I proposed the question..which comic do you see as the best investment going forward...IH 181, or Giant size 1 and asked people to vote....
rather than vote, you have repeatedly chosen to attempt to force an argument surrounding how you feel wolverine should be that choice...as I have in turn defended my own viewpoint, then I am accused of really hating the character.

Really not picking a fight DoT, but this really sounds like your 1st post should have specified, "Please, just submit a vote without opinions or comments," even though a Poll or vote wasn't "formally" mentioned until [I think] page 3, post #60. In fact, the first post didn't contain a single question. All comment and opinion.

But if everyone had simply voted, would you have held your comments to the H181 votes? If so, fine, but I suspect you still would have commented why the Hulk votes are "wrong". The first few posts following your OP comment favored GSX1 (plus Hulk #2 and "get both" LOL), but when the first comment came up leaning towards H181, you gave suggestions against them.

I don't think many here have a great deal of interest in participating in a thread where they can't explain why they think what they think, but can be told why they're "wrong" (4 years in advance).
I honestly don't mind comments and opinions and discussion. I can do that for hours...love the topic of comics and all that it contains. But I wont sit and take rudeness and ill mannered statements in the same vein.
I don't mind others having a different opinion, but when it is done by attacking mine, yeah I wont take it from people.

I am admittedly leaning towards a second copy of giant size 1, for my stated reasons .
I don't care if people explain or state their views and reasons at all...but that doesn't mean attack mine to get there, nor does it mean being snarky , rude or attempting to derail or hijack the thread is useful.
Post 133 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But I wont sit and take rudeness and ill mannered statements in the same vein.
I don't mind others having a different opinion, but when it is done by attacking mine, yeah I wont take it from people.

....but that doesn't mean attack mine to get there, nor does it mean being snarky , rude or attempting to derail or hijack the thread is useful.

Please take your own advise...

Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
IH 181 and I don’t have either book.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

If films are only on streaming services then what happens? Has the Old Guard seen the comic flipper community drive the pricing up due to it being released on Netflix? Are "regular people" biting at the bit to get a copy?
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But I wont sit and take rudeness and ill mannered statements in the same vein.

....but that doesn't mean attack mine to get there, nor does it mean being snarky , rude or attempting to derail or hijack the thread is useful.

Please take your own advise...

and most of all likewise GAC...
Post 137 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I can’t wait for wolverine in MCU
Post 138 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
This debate doesn't need to be quite so vigorous or contentious. It's kind of like arguing which top Super Model is likely to have a better career the next five years.
I'm a little surprised by the census numbers. When I went to my first LCS around 1982 he had a short box full of uncirculated GSX1 in the back room. I don't remember seeing many copies of Hulk 181 around though.
Post 139 IP   flag post
Any debate involving a character that people are especially fond of will devolve into a contentious argument....once emotion and irrationality replace common sense, statistical facts and evidence .
End of the day the numerical rarity of the giant size vs the much more common hulk book suggests the path forward at least...
Further evidence of what will come lies in the discussion about character utilization past and currently.
Marvel has ownership of the hulk character but not distribution rights, so any attempt to release a hulk movie has to be done through universals say so. This is why we were given Ragnarok, a thor film wrapped around a hulk one. Ideas that suggest using Cho, or in some way otherwise circumventing the issues left by Endgame, still run into universals distribution rights issues. Just as Sony not only has Spiderman, but the peripheral characters from that title, so also would universal have with hulk.
Finally, I will say that a white cover, on a square bound 68 page book makes for a lot less higher grade copies than the other book in this debate. those figures are readily visible in the census as well. Its simple logic and has little to do with who the face of marvel is, or how much some might like this character or that one.
Myself, I am looking forward to seeing the New Mutants, and watching Illyana in action...another overlooked for the most part, first appearance in the Giant size. The trailers make her character appear quite interesting
Post 140 IP   flag post
Supporting ones argument about pricing with rarity really doesn't hold much water when one looks at the prices associated with a book like Spawn #1, Youngblood #2, or ASM #300.
Post 141 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I find it quite interesting that you say any debate will "devolve" regarding characters people are fond of. In reality, boardies such as ganasoth, drchaos, X51, myself and there are others, only devolved debates seem to have you as the common element. Coincidence? Again, take your own advice on keeping your emotions and irrationalities in check. 🍻
Post 142 IP   flag post

Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I find it quite interesting that you say any debate will "devolve" regarding characters people are fond of. In reality, boardies such as ganasoth, drchaos, X51, myself and there are others, only devolved debates seem to have you as the common element. Coincidence? Again, take your own advice on keeping your emotions and irrationalities in check. 🍻
kind of looks like a personnal attack there doesn't it? The implication made that all of these peoples only "devolved debates" involve me. The reality is much like myself Gana has some spirited and devolved debates with others besides myself, as had x51, who was in fact suspended for a personnal attack against me. But of course I should not have defended myself I guess...so the implication you just made, a proven outright lie is done to attempt to suggest a flaw on my part. Buy a mirror GAC and knock off your lectures. I hope an admin sees what you just suggested with that accusation you made
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Supporting ones argument about pricing with rarity really doesn't hold much water when one looks at the prices associated with a book like Spawn #1, Youngblood #2, or ASM #300.
It actually illustrates the point ive made quite well. Books that see rampant speculation and endless hype become driven by mob mentality more than logic and it forces a shortage based not on the quality or rarity of the book, but a false and perceived idea that is more valuable than it is.
History demonstrates over and over todays hot and trendy books that are in great supply and higher price tend to always fall eventually. You can look at examples over and over..Omega men 3 with Lobo's first was huge for awhile but nowdays its a 50 dollar book. There are dozens of books you can find that match the same profile. Pricing IS rarity in fact....its just a matter of how the rarity is achieved...factually or artificially.It also becomes a matter of either a sustainable long term hype or a temporary one that will deflate more rapidly. We see that deflation today with early iron man books now that the Endgame saga has passed, as well as Thanos early appearances. Even a revered book that noone doubts is in short supply, like TOS 39 has seen heavy price slides since the demise of Iron man at the end of the saga....which illustrates the book was overpriced and hyped as well as rare.
Once the book reaches a realistic selling point it will level off, and then begin moving up slowly, and constantly based more on its actual rarity and driven by demand. that will remain constant unles or until some information surfaces driving prices to again inflate quickly
When you walk in a dealers and see they have four copies of any of those books you mentioned and all are priced at levels that suggest guide and a half prices, and some flipper or trend buyer grabs them all up thinking to score a fast buck, you get a pretty good look at the entire thing in action. the next question then becomes do you buy from that same buyer at even more inflated prices which someone just might...or learn from the observing and find a better price or adjust your timing for the purchase.
Post 145 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town its best we just no longer acknowledge one another. I know what you're trying to do so I would suggest you "knock it off".
Post 146 IP   flag post

Post 147 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Darkseid_of_town its best we just no longer acknowledge one another. I know what you're trying to do so I would suggest you "knock it off".
lol..if you wish to " no longer acknowledge" me anymore why would it matter what I do or do not knock off.....so yes, indeed, move along.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Back on track....rarity vs hype

I'm gonna throw in nostalgia

In 10-20 years the 30/40 somethings will be the kids that grew up with the Marvel movies and they will just be into their serious earning years (i.e. actual careers rather than summer jobs) at that point I would expect nostalgia to add fuel to the hype/rarity issue as they look for the books related to the characters they grew up watching.

I would also expect that those same characters (call it classic avengers/thor etc.) will make a return to movie theaters (or streaming or whatever we will be watching in the future) to cash in on the nostalgia - kind of like Star Wars tried and failed to do

I was originally thinking of getting Hulk 181 and Jimmy Olsen 134 but am now leaning towards Hulk 181 and GSX 1 - but this is where emotion steps in and despite the numbers I thing I would still prefer Hulk 181 over GSX for my PC (if I had to choose only 1)
Post 149 IP   flag post
Agree, nostalgia will play a huge part in the future of our hobby. Its how I wound up collecting in the eighties for sure.
None of those books you are looking at are bad investments for the future either. Someday sooner than later Darkseid will appear in the dc movie universe and his books seem already underpriced. Giant size 1 I have already given some reasoning for...and if I were to make any argument for 181 is that now that there is no active character in the marvel universe by the name, and prices are sliding on the book, it is a better time to buy it than perhaps any point in the last several years
Post 150 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics yes sir Kat. Exactly what I did
Post 151 IP   flag post
@KatKomics

If you are looking at nostalgia then I suggest that you buy Paw Patrol toys, buy x-box and play station games, pokemon cards, legos, and dinosaur related items. Those are what kids spend their time with today like children in the past used to spend their time reading comics.

I think the biggest flaw in comics is that the publishers forgot that they used to be written for children and adults. They got away from that and we have a gap in which a generation or two of children did not consume comics. They have become almost an afterthought.
Post 152 IP   flag post
My son who has a collectibles store believes old video games have been his most profitable items lately, although he has done well with Pokémon, Magic, etc, and always comics.
Expensive key comics are gold to hold however, and still sell easily. He knows to stash the best of the best that trickles through his fingers for 30 years if possible. It’s fun to speculate what a 9.8 Batman Adventures 12 For instance might be worth in 30 years.
I was in his store when a GSX 1 walked in (With a Tales to Astonish 13) to be purchased for pretty cheap. I could have bought it, still kick myself over that and a 8.5 181 I could have snagged from him.
Damned hind sight
Post 153 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@doog I was wondering why your son isn't on the forum here offering his books to us. But I guess none of the good stuff would ever get past you.
Post 154 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Post 155 IP   flag post
601527 163 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?