Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Silver Age

Recent VSP / BAS verification issue12260

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
because you can tune a piano, but you cant tune a fish.....
Post 51 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
because you can tune a piano, but you cant tune a fish.....

So true, so very very true. You can lead a straw man to water but you can't make him ride a horse...or measure a fish, apparently.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector moles private msg quote post Address this user

Btw, here are some Jack sigs that did get a red label that look similar to the ones that I posted that failed. To be honest though, I am much happier that these 3 passed versus the 4 FF books.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector moles private msg quote post Address this user
Wow they failed these Stan Lee sigs as well....I'm on a roll. Did CBCS flag me for sending in too many ditko signed books?

Those look like 2010 era Stan sigs to me... :/
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Stan Lee's Sig is known to be difficult to pass verification.

I'll admit I'm no expert on Stan's sig but those do deviate from what I'm used to seeing on older and more recent Stan sigs so I'm not surprised that they would fail verification
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector thegodofgreen private msg quote post Address this user
Ive used the VSP before and had 1 item verified by Beckett but these were raw signed thing bought direct from artist. I have books i want to get slabbed but was told I will get a red or now the vsp yellow but cbcs wasnt around to verify these books or companies that organized the signings. I also have a book that was limited and pre-signed and on record that it was pre-signed for the events and was told I could only get a red label...tho there are ASP yellows floating around. I have faith the sigs will pass but I don't like the VSP/REDS(now yellow) for books that are sealed and sold pre signed with tamper proof seals or bags
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I've had an issue with this program too. What I ended up with doesn't even make sense.

I had this book signed by James Lloyd back in 2000 at a very small con here in Vancouver. Sometime after I submitted this book for grading and VSP I was contacted by someone at CBCS and asked a couple of questions about it. I told her the jist - it's a pretty simple signature.

And ended up with this... a witnessed signature eight years after it was signed. I guess I somehow got credit for witnessing the signature myself and they dated it when it was graded? I never did get clarification on this and find it pretty frustrating.

Post 57 IP   flag post
@Terry88 That’s especially troubling since the signature is dated ‘00
Post 58 IP   flag post
Ya, it doesn't even make sense. I guess I was just really really convincing in the line and a half I wrote into an email describing how I asked for the book to be signed...
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I've dealt a lot with handwriting because of my job. I've never had official training but I've had to read up and learn a lot on my own. I looked at trying to become certified expert, but when I realized that it takes something like 52 weeks at 40 hours a week to be a certified handwriting expert, I decided that wasn't for me.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Ya, it doesn't even make sense. I guess I was just really really convincing in the line and a half I wrote into an email describing how I asked for the book to be signed...
Did you submit the book at a convention using one of their paper forms? I've heard plenty of issues arising from from the handwritten forms submitted at conventions. Maybe the form wasn't especially clear on the ASP/VSP option and the folks back at the office assumed it was ASP?
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
I've had an issue with this program too. What I ended up with doesn't even make sense.

I had this book signed by James Lloyd back in 2000 at a very small con here in Vancouver. Sometime after I submitted this book for grading and VSP I was contacted by someone at CBCS and asked a couple of questions about it. I told her the jist - it's a pretty simple signature.

And ended up with this... a witnessed signature eight years after it was signed. I guess I somehow got credit for witnessing the signature myself and they dated it when it was graded? I never did get clarification on this and find it pretty frustrating.

Somehow this doesn't seem right, allowing people to submit their own witness books and still receive a witness signature label. Plus changing the date of the actual signing to reflect a totally different date. How can anyone trust the information on the label when it's completely wrong?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Somehow this doesn't seem right, allowing people to submit their own witness books and still receive a witness signature label. Plus changing the date of the actual signing to reflect a totally different date. How can anyone trust the information on the label when it's completely wrong?

Well I think you hit the nail on the head with that question.

It was part of a submission that I dropped off at a different small show here in Vancouver in 2018. We filled out of the paper work as I was dropping off the books - and you got me digging out the copies of the forms that I somehow happen to still have handy - and the paper work doesn't even mention VSP...

haha good lord what a mess of a submission. I had no idea what I was doing and apparently the two guys there on CBCS's behalf didn't seem to know much more.
Post 63 IP   flag post
@Terry88 Unfortunately it doesn't help much now but situations like this are why it's recommended to do your submissions online beforehand and take a copy of the invoice with you to the show when you submit. It's no excuse for CBCS and unfortunately their customer service has been lacking for several years now so we have to do all we can to avoid having to go to them.

I would definitely send customer service an email with the invoice number, a picture of the book, and explain what went wrong. Tell them the book should've been verified and that the date on the signature even disagrees with the label. As I mentioned, customer service hasn't been great for the past few years so don't be surprised if they take a week or more to respond. I would assume they would agree to a fix seeing as it is an embarrassing error on their part. If they agree to it, they will fix it for free but likely suggest you include the book with a future submission since they do not reimburse shipping anymore though you are entirely free to mail it in on it's own for the fix. I always recommend including a copy of the email chain with the relevant portions (the problem, and their agreeing to fix it) highlighted.

You can also send @sborock and @darryl_h a private message here on the forums and hopefully that can expedite a fix but once again, be patient.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Thanks, I do appreciate the advice. It's something that I have been thinking about but was waiting for the timing to be better.

At some point I will probably submit books again and I'll try and work this out then, but based on a lot of what I'm seeing (mostly service and communication related) that wont be for a long while. My confidence is pretty shook for many obvious reasons.

The forum is great though!
Post 65 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Darryl has mentioned a few times last week that the best way to resolve issues is to email their customer service. Apparently they're able to track issues better through emails than through the message board.

@Terry88

I hope they're able to get the stuff straight. This puts their credibility for witnessed signatures in jeopardy.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
@dielinfinite

Darryl has mentioned a few times last week that the best way to resolve issues is to email their customer service. Apparently they're able to track issues better through emails than through the message board.

which is why I went into so much detail about what to include in the email to customer service
Post 67 IP   flag post
The last couple few people messaged cbcs on this message board it appeared they just got the runaround.
Post 68 IP   flag post
And plenty have been helped by reaching out on the message board when emailing did not yield results
Post 69 IP   flag post
Hopefully someday they'll get their act together.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
With the additional details it’s kind of easy to see how the communication got crossed up. I consider myself to be about 95% honest (ok, 93%), and I wouldn’t have a problem keeping that label. You know the signature was witnessed by you, just the date is wrong. If I ever sold it I would just tell the buyer what the real story is.
Post 71 IP   flag post
haha ya I agree, after re looking over the paper work, it's amazing that it even ended up slabbed!

But that said, I was actually looking forward to the red label to go with the book. I was kinda irritated and really confused when it showed up with a yellow one.
Post 72 IP   flag post
600882 72 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?