Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I picked up a copy of Hulk 181 for a song years ago. I knew the Marvel Stamp was cut when I purchased it. When it came in I realized it was missing the bottom staple. Upon closer examination I could see it only had one staple hole. It doesn't appear that it was ever actually stapled.
I know that the cutting of the stamp will effect the grade. I'm just wondering what the staple issue may do to it? How would it be noted? Would this be considered a printing error?
I included a picture of the top staple in tact and the stamp cut out.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster - If there are no holes to the cover or interior pages, there would be no grade deduction and the slab would state "1-staple, manufacturing." I have books like that, and I even have a book with double staples!
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
are we sure these aren't staple holes?

Post 3 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Kinda looks that way
Post 4 IP   flag post
Like I said, it has one staple hole. That is all the way through. That's the one that is circled on the bottom. The top circle is a divot. It looks like if there had been a staple there, that was where the tip folded into the paper. It's missing the second staple hole, though. I tried to take the best pictures I could with a measuring tape. The definite hole and the other are not the same distance apart as the top staple. Also, the second hole does not exist at any other part of the book except for the centerfold. Also, as you can see, it's not a pronounced in this picture.

Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster ok, so only one hole all the way through....that's unusual for sure...interesting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You have a book with a missing value stamp and a missing staple. Even if the bottom was miss-stapled, it was stapled and that staple is no longer there. It's not a book manufactured with one staple.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Puckster ok, so only one hole all the way through....that's unusual for sure...interesting.

Exactly! Thus the reason for my question.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Missing stamp is a 0.5 grade - usually, so the staple doesn’t matter. If you send it to cgc for a qualified label, the missing staple will affect the grade. Never sent a perfect book other than staple to find out grade.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I figured if I ever did send it in, I would send it for a qualified label. I just didn't know about the missing staple with one hole.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CBCS missing value stamp with a 1.5 grade.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Nchatzi7 private msg quote post Address this user
I ve seen enough books with only one staple, its not rare. But your book missing the value stamp is the real problem of this issue..
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I misread but I thought he said that single hole was only present at the centerfold and nowhere else, so it's not right through the book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWiz
Maybe I misread but I thought he said that single hole was only present at the centerfold and nowhere else, so it's not right through the book.

The one hole is all the way through. What was pointed out as being a possible second hole is only at the centerfold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nchatzi7
I ve seen enough books with only one staple, its not rare. But your book missing the value stamp is the real problem of this issue..

Yeah, I was just wondering if something I know is bad is even worse. If that makes any sense.
Post 14 IP   flag post
601297 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?