Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Marvel Unlimited Recommendations?12200

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a Marvel Unlimited subscription for my iPad soon after the COVID-19 lockdown stopped the flow of new books to my LCS. I’ve enjoyed reading comics this way more than I ever thought I would. I’ve decided to continue subscribing even though I’m still buying new books as they are released as there is a ton of new and old content available on Marvel Unlimited that I never got to over the years. Up until this point I’ve mostly been reading the iconic Silver Age (and some Golden Age) titles and story arcs, but have recently found myself adding more modern content to my reading list. Most recently I completed the Neil Gaiman penned “1602” series and really enjoyed it. I also read the first “Marvel Zombies” series. While I appreciated the concept, I felt the series was overly simplistic and pretty forgettable. That’s the problem I have with many of the modern story arcs published by Marvel these days, so here is my question for the group: Does anyone have any truly iconic modern story arcs that you’d like to recommend to me? I’m open to any character or concepts, just looking for a good, thought-provoking storyline. By the way, I’ve read the various Secret Wars and Civil Wars arcs already.

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed 1602 and the first Marvel Zombies series. Have you read the Infinity War series yet? I love that one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@tonnage71 I’m not real into modern/current marvel other than Deadpool for chuckle every now and then. Been trying to more Immortal Hulk books I like what I’ve read.

One of my Favorite modern stories is The 6 part crossover series “Spirits Of Venom“. Spidey, Venom, Ghost Rider and Blaze?! Good stuff.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
If you don’t mind more mature content, I highly recommend any of Garth Ennis’ MAX titles, particularly Fury: My War Gone By and Punisher: Born, though all of Ennis’ Punisher MAX run was great. Ennis did have a Punisher run on Marvel’s Marvel Knights line which was really good, starting with the Wlcome Back, Frank storyline, but that one is a bit more fun, almost a black comedy.

Jason Aaron had a great follow up to Ennis’ Punisher Max, titled simply PunisherMax

Alex Ross and Jim Krueger’s Earth X trilogy (Earth X, Universe X, Paradise X) are also really good and they really dive deep into the Marvel Universe and it’s characters. They are actually currently releasing a prequel called Marvels X. Which leads us, of course to Ross and Busiek’s amazing Marvels mini-series, which explores the silver age of Marvel through the eyes of a photo journalist. I’d imagine Marvel unlimited would include the recent annotations and the new epilogue

You mentioned mostly reading Silver and Golden age stuff so I’m not sure if you’re touch the Bronze and copper age stuff but Marvel did acquire and reprint Moore and Gaiman’s Miracleman and are certainly worth the read. Marvel was originally going to have Gaiman complete his Silver Age arc which was interrupted by Eclipse comics shutting down but that never seems to have come to pass.

As controversial as the 90s, where, I did enjoy some of the large crossovers. The first big one for Marvel was the Fatal Attractions event to celebrate X-Men’s 30th Anniversary. As is the case with a lot of crossovers you have to read a little beyond just the issues tagged with the crossover name to get the full effect but I imagine all of those should be available on Marvel unlimited

The Uncanny X-Force run by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost was very good and followed up by an equally impressive run by Rick Remender

These last few are well-written, for the most part, but I’d say they’re more good, fun reads.

Warren Ellis is an amazing writer and I loved his brief run on Thunderbolts. You’d said you’d read Civil War. His run takes place during or slightly after the Civil War environment where the government is hiring super villains to hunt down super heroes that refused to comply with the registration act. I think Ellis really nailed how a team of villains would (dis)function.

Thunderbolts (2013), this books starts off pretty bad when written by Daniel Way so the first two volumes are kind of aimless but then Charles Soule is brought on to right the ship and it becomes really fun, then they change writers again for the last volume and it’s not as good. Most of the series has an excellent run of covers, though

She-Hulk by Dan Slott is a really fun read. I’ve heard the She-Hulk run by Charles Soule is also really good. I’ve yet to read it yet but Soule is one of my favorite writers. Unfortunately the interior art can be a bit off-putting, though the covers are awesome. And of course there’s the original Sensational She-Hulk run by John Byrne

Post 4 IP   flag post
600782 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?