Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Graded

New CBCS Slab Sneak-Peak Reviews!12191

Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Brilliant business move CBCS, now everyone with a red label is going to re slab for yellow
Post 76 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this one on the CGC boards. This was shared last month. The kicker is, this was sent in to be reholdered because of newton rings!!!

edit - added second picture
Post 77 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I saw this one on the CGC boards. This was shared last month. The kicker is, this was sent in to be reholdered because of newton rings!!!

Maybe they sent it for reholder because there weren't enough newton rings??
Post 78 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
My bottom line on label aesthetics: I don’t want labels which “pop” as I prefer the book to take center stage. The important point here is that the graded book remains the center of interest, not the label.

Thanks for your comments. I think the bottom line for me is: I could *almost* put up with the bland label, and I see the benefits ... but they have GOT to stop using that label paper. I mean, speaking of professional looking? Nothing says cheap and ad-hoc better than perforated strips that warp in the slab. They really need to switch to thicker card-stock, and laser-cut or blade-cut quality stuff.

But maybe that is one of the changes with the newest label? Not sure. Does anyone know?
Post 79 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid we'll know in a few days once all those reviews are posted on youtube. The first video from economicsincomics claims that it isn't perforated but I can't tell if it is or isn't when the camera is zoomed in.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

OMG! That is realllllly bad.
Post 81 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the comments and feedback so far. Let me address a few of the things you've been asking. (I'll be paraphrasing.)

1) Why is CBCS changing to yellow labels for verified signatures?

Quite simply because the overwhelming majority of customers did not like the red label and wanted a different color. Given the fact that there are only so many colors on the basic color-wheel, the number of colors we could use that would be accepted by the hobby is limited. Green and purple are out because nobody collecting comics wants anything to do with those colors. That leaves orange...and I suppose white and black. White got tossed because samples looked like an unfinished product. Black would have to be a lighter gray so we could print the information on it, which also ended up looking like an unfinished product. Orange was actually a finalist, but it came down to simplicity. We agreed that CBCS had already eliminated the need for a restored color by clearly identifying it on the label, so we wouldn't have any trouble doing the same for signatures. The new case was the logical time to make the change. All books with signatures will be on yellow labels. Non signatures on blue. Easy, peasy. Oh, and fwiw, the word "sigs" will change to "signatures" around the time of the new case. Thought there may be a few orders that have already been generated with the word "sigs." But that word will disappear at some point in the transition.

2) Are the new labels going to have the same perforated edge that the old labels do.

Yes and no. There is a perforated edge, but it's much finer than the old label, so it is hardly an eyesore. The paper stock is a little thicker and nicer, so I don't think anyone is going to think twice about the edges.

3) Why is the heat seal no longer through the CBCS hologram logo?

Because it is no longer needed due to the added security of the case. You'll understand once you get one in your hand.

I'll add a few more bits of info...The rough edge that everyone complained about is gone. The sides can no longer be opened with your hands and they don't squeak when you hold them. It feels incredibly rigid and secure.

Again, I thank you guys for the discussion so far. I can't wait for you to see the new CBCS for yourself. As beautiful as they are in pictures and videos, you can't fully appreciate it until you have one in your hand.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you for that riveting update, Steve.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

4)There are no rivits in the case. 😂
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

4)There are no rivits in the case. 😂

I think we are all grateful for that!!! LOL!!!

@SteveRicketts I heard (or seen) that the finer perforations are going to be on the short ends of the label and not on the top and bottom of the label. Is that correct?
Post 85 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
So rather than fix Newton Rings, a major problem for numerous years, CGC tells their paying customers that "it is not a defect, but a visual apparition" and that it "does not inherently alter or lessen the value of your comic." Sounds like double talk BS to me. What a way to run a business. All I can say is:

Post 86 IP   flag post
They're perfed on all sides but you can only really see the perforations is on the sides. It's not distracting.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Thanks @SteveRicketts !!
Post 88 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
So rather than fix Newton Rings, a major problem for numerous years, CGC tells their paying customers that "it is not a defect, but a visual apparition" and that it "does not inherently alter or lessen the value of your comic." Sounds like double talk BS to me. What a way to run a business. All I can say is:

Yeah, CGC is famous for gaslighting. Frankenslab? It's only a few isolated incidents, the slab is fine. Grader notes missing on NM comics? Graders have always had discretion, nothing has changed. Newton rings? Who ya gonna believe: us or your lying eyes?
Post 89 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts

Can the books be removed by normal means or do you have to have a special tool?

I'm thinking if a signature needed to be added to a book....

Sonically sealing it seems like it is more a permanent solution...
Post 90 IP   flag post
@esaravo this was posted on the same post as the newton ring photo I shared.

Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
New case and label looks great. Now I HAVE to submit some books for grading!
Post 92 IP   flag post
@Bronte They can be opened up with a screwdriver, but they are sealed all the way around the case, so it takes a little longer to get the book out.
Post 93 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That sounds perfect.
Post 94 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This reminds me of the huge stack of blue rivet labels sitting in my storage. How much does it cost for a relabel/recase? Are you going to give customers the option to wait for the new label and new case for those in the queue? 😞
Post 95 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke As far as I know you can send books in for a reholder and get the new cases. It would be the standard reholder service. I'd wait two weeks before sending in reholders if you're sending them for the new case. Just to be on the safe side to make sure it is in production.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777
Brilliant business move CBCS, now everyone with a red label is going to re slab for yellow

Ummm only if i thought it would look better. Like Micronauts #1 would definitely look better with yellow label over red. But, i think I will keep the red label on something like SS#1.

Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Imad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
I wanted to give the forum members an update on the new CBCS slabs. We asked a handful of comic related YouTube channels if they would like to get their hands on a sample of our new slab a few weeks before they go live. They all agreed and each one wull be doing reviews of the slab on their channels.

The samples were shipped to them this past Wednesday and should be starting to arrive in their hands any day now. Here are links to the channels that will be reviewing the new CBCS slab.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rsimmons1911/featured

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQiE3gotzdWZY7TYYNKtBw/featured

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC31fEeAOTnfRgvGFwYJsFUA/featured

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvv17vEHJbXjVG0ENE65oA/featured

I can't tell you how excited i am for everyone to start getting these in your hands. I know the wait was long, but i think you'll be quite happy with the product.

Keep an eye on those YouTube channels over the next few days and enjoy the sneak-peak of the new CBCS slab!
With the new cases,will there be a price increase?
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imad

Shhhhhhh
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
...but they have GOT to stop using that label paper.

I am hoping the paper stock is a dramatic improvement, too. Dislike the CBCS label paper warp, immensely. Newton rings are worse, though.

The cases look nice.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imad

Steve Borock said in an interview last week that there would not be a price increase with the new slabs.
Post 101 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:

I am hoping the paper stock is a dramatic improvement, too. Dislike the CBCS label paper warp, immensely. Newton rings are worse, though.

The cases look nice.

Dislike label warps as well...CGC also has them. I think they just need to shave them by a fraction and we'd be good. The current paper stocks don't bother me but better paper stock I'm all for.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Quote:

The cases look nice.

Dislike label warps as well...CGC also has them. I think they just need to shave them by a fraction and we'd be good. The current paper stocks don't bother me but better paper stock I'm all for.

Yes, I agree, I hate it when my comics hit warp drive and travel light years away.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector TheImmortalGI private msg quote post Address this user
I am super glad to hear you guys are phasing out the “sig” and “sigs”. It always seemed like a strange and unprofessional short-form. Like why couldn’t my comic SIGNED with a SIGNATURE from Jack Kirby say so? Lol instead it’s “Verified Sig: Jack Kirby”. Sig? Anyways, glad to hear this pet peeve will be gone. I actually always liked the red label for Verified, but I can understand simplifying to anything signed being yellow, it doesn’t bother me a bit. CBCS has always had my business over the competitors because of your eye appealing slabs (no newton rings!) I love the signature verification, and I appreciate that you don’t charge for grading notes! Cheers
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Won’t having both verified and unverified signatures in a yellow case create confusion in the marketplace?
Post 105 IP   flag post
598012 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?