Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Graded

New CBCS Slab Sneak-Peak Reviews!12191

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Look, I know I'm not a high-volume guy, not like some people. But it's not nothing, either. And after getting burned a few years ago with the infamous label switch, I'm not coming back easy. CBCS screwed me and a lot of other people on that one, and it royally pissed me off. It was a bone-head move.

So, the label aesthetics is the last piece. Get a better label, one that is as good as the CGC label, one that pops, and is quality paper and not cheap paper, and I'd switch back right now. I might switch back anyway, but that's the final sticking point. And that would be 800 - 1000 graded books per year, at my current rate.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
For me I prefer the look of the CBCS label and of course the clear non oil ringed slab!

Oh, yeah, those Newton rings are a pain. They STILL haven't fixed them. It's only been, what, a year? Two?
Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
For me I prefer the look of the CBCS label and of course the clear non oil ringed slab!

Oh, yeah, those Newton rings are a pain. They STILL haven't fixed them. It's only been, what, a year? Two?

I think its been 4 years.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The slabs look nice. The clarity on the sides looks good along with not seeing the scorch marks from the sealing process. Labels look ok. Minor adjustments, but still a little bland looking to me. Can't argue with no Newton rings. Good job.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

CGC fixed the inner well that they said didn't need fixing but @Dick_Pontoon's video showed otherwise. I was glad that CGC fixed the inner well even if Harshen thought everyone who had warped books was lying. The rings are still an issue, but I've heard that it isn't as consistent now.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Hold the front door. You can still vote on stuff even if you got the boot? Darth, hope all is well! I do miss you on the forum.

Post 56 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

CGC fixed the inner well that they said didn't need fixing but @Dick_Pontoon's video showed otherwise. I was glad that CGC fixed the inner well even if Harshen thought everyone who had warped books was lying. The rings are still an issue, but I've heard that it isn't as consistent now.

I agree that it's better but it's not solved....theres a video on youtube from 2016 complaining about newton rings. That's a long time not to fix a known issue. We know it's possible because of CBCSs cases. I'm not aware of a single CBCS newton ring case. I could be wrong tho.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I agree that it's better but it's not solved....theres a video on youtube from 2016 complaining about newton rings. That's a long time not to fix a known issue. We know it's possible because of CBCSs cases. I'm not aware of a single CBCS newton ring case. I could be wrong tho.

I absolutely agree. The thing is that nothing changes unless you hit them in the wallet. That's when a business feels it. As far as Newton rings on a CBCS case, I think I have a couple that have them, but it was few and very far between. Not like the stuff I've received from CGC. I haven't received anything from CGC in about 14 or 15 months so I can't speak too much to the lessened rings, just that I've heard it has gotten slightly better.
Post 58 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley I've heard and experienced the same. It's definitely better.
Post 59 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Longer than that.
Post 60 IP   flag post
The case is nice. The label looks like a school project made with Print Shop.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts if we were to send in books that were slabbed by CBCS to be reslabbed in the new case would it just be the re-encapsulation fee? Just curious as I was thinking it would need to be sealed with an new inner well and label. That I might ask before sending a bunch in.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
One thing I wanted to comment on was the appearance of the slab from the YouTube video. The clarity of the new plastic is going to be a game changer. That reduction of glare and greater definition of color is huge. I have always been a CBCS guy, but I think the quality of these new slabs will become a true paradigm shift for the industry. I think we may finally start hearing CBCS is the new “Industry Standard” as every part of their service is superior to the competition.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Hold the front door. You can still vote on stuff even if you got the boot? Darth, hope all is well! I do miss you on the forum.

Yep - you can still vote and still submit. @DarthLego is fine. I shall tell him that you sent him greetings
Post 64 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts further piggybacking on @Noblebeast315 comment, the one thing that REALLY caught my eye about the new slab is what looks to the ability to see the spin and page sides. If that is indeed the case, that should very well add new desire for CBCS encasements.
Post 65 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
JesseO confirmed on facebook that VSP will be yellow.

I'm not happy about verified signatures now becoming yellow labels. Anyone else?
Post 66 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

I actually like the idea of it becoming yellow. I know its different than actual witnessed and should be treated differently, but I really disliked red / pink labels...
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
Verified being yellow now is the reason I'm finally going to send books in for VSP. Very nice.
Post 68 IP   flag post
I understand the logic in making it Yellow. It acknowledges CBCSs confidence in the accuracy of their Verification program.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@kaptainmyke

I actually like the idea of it becoming yellow. I know its different than actual witnessed and should be treated differently, but I really disliked red / pink labels...

I voted for orange, because the red/pink was a bit stark. But I was assuming yellow was out. So, as long as the VSP designation is clear, I think that should be fine. They are both signed books.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I like that the VSP will be yellow. I sent 6 books in December for press, VSP, and grading. Looks like my timing was right for a change, aAlthough I probably won’t get the books until the Fall.

I like the clarity of the cases and the elimination of the clips. It’s a much sleeker design.
Post 71 IP   flag post
I didn't mind the red, but I only have a few red and yellow labels. I can see hesitation for someone else who would be looking at a red label book. A clear and definite distinction on the label will be necessary.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Look, I know I'm not a high-volume guy, not like some people. But it's not nothing, either. And after getting burned a few years ago with the infamous label switch, I'm not coming back easy. CBCS screwed me and a lot of other people on that one, and it royally pissed me off. It was a bone-head move.

So, the label aesthetics is the last piece. Get a better label, one that is as good as the CGC label, one that pops, and is quality paper and not cheap paper, and I'd switch back right now. I might switch back anyway, but that's the final sticking point. And that would be 800 - 1000 graded books per year, at my current rate.

On this issue our opinions differ. From my perspective the current CGC labels aren’t good, not by a long shot. In fact, I think the CGC labels are total crap. That’s been my position from roll-out of the design, even before the Newtonian “oil slick” issues came to light. Current CBCS labels are far more professional in appearance, which is what a grading service should endeavor to achieve.

To be crystal clear on this, I’ve had several high value books regraded by CBCS either because of Newton rings or other issues with CGC holders and labels. I much prefer the current CBCS label to CGC’s. While you may not consider yourself a high volume guy, you’re much higher volume than me if you send in 800 to 1000 books a year. Given that volume of business I’m sure your views carry more weight than mine, but as an artist and high end book collector aesthetics are a big deal to me.

Here’s a prime example of what I’m talking about (first, the CGC graded billboard label copy):

...and the CBCS grade label which is much cleaner, more informative, and easier to scan:

Note: The same HP legal document scanner was employed for both images.

Yes, this book received a slight grade bump, but without any pressing involved, much less pressure of any other kind. This remains the second highest graded copy in either grade. If the first image seems darker than the second it’s because the CGC label is on a raised plain higher than the book which throws off scanner settings. IMO, this is what makes accurate scanning of current CGC graded comics exceedingly difficult even for prestigious auction houses like Heritage (without goosing color and brightness settings).

My bottom line on label aesthetics: I don’t want labels which “pop” as I prefer the book to take center stage. The important point here is that the graded book remains the center of interest, not the label.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector MarvelousComics private msg quote post Address this user
One of my few CGC books. Newton ring is crazy bad.

Post 74 IP   flag post
Holy oil spill Kokopelli!
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Brilliant business move CBCS, now everyone with a red label is going to re slab for yellow
Post 76 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I saw this one on the CGC boards. This was shared last month. The kicker is, this was sent in to be reholdered because of newton rings!!!

edit - added second picture
Post 77 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I saw this one on the CGC boards. This was shared last month. The kicker is, this was sent in to be reholdered because of newton rings!!!

edit - added second picture

Maybe they sent it for reholder because there weren't enough newton rings??
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
My bottom line on label aesthetics: I don’t want labels which “pop” as I prefer the book to take center stage. The important point here is that the graded book remains the center of interest, not the label.

Thanks for your comments. I think the bottom line for me is: I could *almost* put up with the bland label, and I see the benefits ... but they have GOT to stop using that label paper. I mean, speaking of professional looking? Nothing says cheap and ad-hoc better than perforated strips that warp in the slab. They really need to switch to thicker card-stock, and laser-cut or blade-cut quality stuff.

But maybe that is one of the changes with the newest label? Not sure. Does anyone know?
Post 79 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid we'll know in a few days once all those reviews are posted on youtube. The first video from economicsincomics claims that it isn't perforated but I can't tell if it is or isn't when the camera is zoomed in.
Post 80 IP   flag post
600782 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?