Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Graded

New CBCS Slab Sneak-Peak Reviews!12191

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
@GAC agree. Those cases look great!

But you bring up a very valid point about the heat seal through the label...if the new cases don't have that, is it a little less secure or is it equally secure just differently secured?

I am guessing that they no longer need the tabs or the heat seals through the label because these new slabs are sealed by Sonic the Hedgehog. The old slabs could easily be pried apart/separated, the new ones look to be much tighter all the way around. Again, all guesses on my part, but I would think you would have to bust the slab to get the book out, so the clips and heat sealed label just aren't needed to show if the slab was tampered with.

So now what do I do with the 200+ old slabs?

Thanks Ed! Ok, that makes sense but wasn't there a "breathability" concern that was being addressed? Maybe I'm confusing things....(lol!!...Sonic the hedgehog!) 🍻
Post 26 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Any chance that the new slabs will include magazine size?
Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I've got 2 submission in at CBCS right now...both are with Pressing...one was received in January 2020 and the other March 2020....am I guaranteed the new cases on these?

Guaranteed is a big word. I would venture virtually assured. But then again, i think earlier in the month or late last month CBCS said once the make the grand unveiling/announcement, that would be when all submissions receive the new case. So, i my guess is they are night quite there yet, but pretty darn close.

Cool! Thanks! Can't wait for that official announcement!! Can"t be too far away I hope.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
In the youtube interview that Borock did on the 15th, he said the new cases were about 2 weeks out from being used. So, around July 1st is when we should expect to hear that they are being used.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Edge328 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
In the youtube interview that Borock did on the 15th, he said the new cases were about 2 weeks out from being used. So, around July 1st is when we should expect to hear that they are being used.

Where can I find the interview?

Edit: Found it, "Home of the NY Warriors" June 15th episode, just past the 6 minute mark.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Any chance that the new slabs will include magazine size?

Nope, in the the last interview that Steve B did he was specifically asked about magazine sized slabs and he said all the money was spent on the tooling for the new cases so, no plans in the near future but in the far future likely (I'm completely paraphrasing here).
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Nice!!! Thanks Jesse!!!
Post 32 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the link to The interview I mentioned above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQzK0XHa1s&feature=youtu.be

also there is something special buried in the interview (i think), it is a discount code for 10% off. the reason I said "i think" is because since i am not sending anything to be graded in soon, I did not pay enough attention to that portion of the interview but I'm pretty sure it runs to the end of the month. sorry if my info is correct, I was back and forth on the interview.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Thanks Ed! Ok, that makes sense but wasn't there a "breathability" concern that was being addressed? Maybe I'm confusing things....(lol!!...Sonic the hedgehog!) 🍻

No slabs are water tight, so there is some air exchange. I imagine even the new slabs aren't completely sealed all the way around. I figure my small pressing order from the end of September must be getting close to the front of the line. So the silver lining is that they should get the new slabs.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

No slabs are water tight, so there is some air exchange. I imagine even the new slabs aren't completely sealed all the way around. I figure my small pressing order from the end of September must be getting close to the front of the line. So the silver lining is that they should get the new slabs.

Nice!!! Please post when you get them!! I wonder who will be the first to post actual returned books in the new case!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Nice!!! Please post when you get them!! I wonder who will be the first to post actual returned books in the new case!

Hah! New game! First to post receipt of submission with new slabs - Winner prize... they receive @esaravo X-Men Run! 😉
Post 36 IP   flag post
@Scifinator lol!!!!! I fully agree with this!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@AndyRexia in one of the interviews, i think it was mentioned that security feature was no longer necessary and i am guessing that this is due to the new sonic sealing by the hedgehog crew.

Well that answers that. Thanks for the clarification.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia
Quote:
@AndyRexia in one of the interviews, i think it was mentioned that security feature was no longer necessary and i am guessing that this is due to the new sonic sealing by the hedgehog crew.

Well that answers that. Thanks for the clarification.

I missed your answer on this @Scifinator...thanks indeed, good to know!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So what is sonic sealing..do they just play music while sealing the books???
Post 40 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
So what is sonic sealing..do they just play music while sealing the books???

No, don’t go there. No music, no yoga sound baths, and let’s definitely not let factual science enter into the equation... it’s the hedgehog!!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
I guess because we're dealing with expensive paper it's better to use sound to seal the inner well rather than heat.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I dont crack open books personally, but if these things are sonically sealed, if they ever need to be opened, say for adding a signature, can you do this without destroying the comic? Do you need specialty tools?

But overall the cases do seem very nice. As dumb as it sounds the label on top is one of the highlights for me.

No, that's not at all dumb. Aesthetics matter. Do you mean the extra little strip along the top? Yeah, that was a big advantage for CGC. Such a no-brainer. I think CBCS had it sometimes, but it was a thin little after-thought.

The case is fantastic. Such a better design, and super clear - really emphasizes the comic, while not giving short-shift to displaying the label.

But the label is still a tremendous disappointment. Why is it so hard to make this look nice? Dull and uninteresting, they've even managed to pick an ugly color of blue. (It has a slight purple tinge, I think. Or perhaps just a dullness from white mixed in, as if a film over it. Not at all sharp and clear like the CGC blue.) Especially the Signature Series, the CGC labels just look better.

But maybe I should send a few in, so I can get an up-close look for myself. The current label is perforated, and tends to curl and warp. That makes it look really cheap. I haven't finished watching the video, but he hasn't mentioned that aspect of the new case yet. Hopefully they fixed this. Laser-cut or blade-cut is just better than cheap perforations. Thick paper that doesn't get wavy is better than cheap paper. It was a stupid place to cut costs - pennies, really - but for some reason CBCS thought it didn't matter. I hope this new one is different.

With all the recent problems I've had with CGC, it might be time to finally switch back. Other than the ugly label, CBCS has all the pieces:

More consistent grading. Perhaps a tad too tight, lately, but consistency is more important.
No Newton rings ... and no ad-hoc fixes for Newton rings, such as scouring the case.
Better customer service (not hard to do, really)
Better forum

And now, this beautiful case. CGC cases still *feel* stronger, but that's just a consequence of the extra weight. The review said the CBCS case is 1 lb, 1 oz. I just weighed three CGC cases (of different thickness), and they were: 1 lb, 6 oz; 1 lb, 3 oz; and 1 lb, 0.5 oz. Some of those CGC cases are pretty thick, actually. That's one of the ways they mitigate the Newton rings.

Well ... I'll give it some thought. Prices have more parity lately, but they are still lower for CBCS slabs. If only the label wasn't so bad, I'd switch in a heartbeat...

Post 43 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid
Yes that little strip is important because I have my stuff in boxes. Nothing is "displayed" so rummaging through books will be easier.

I'm glad you mentioned the perforated labels. I was thinking I was the only one that thought it was "cheap" looking. After spending that much time and effort on the case, youd think the labels would be a given part of the revamp.

Dont get me wrong. The improvements are great, and I do look forward to getting the new slabs.
Post 44 IP   flag post
See I was never a fan of the CGC grade looking like it was just a sticker , also don't like the holofoil CGC actual sticker - we get it!! it's CGC!! it says so on the label!!! The CBCS shield is much more appealing - a less cluttered lable. It's like the CGC label is designed to make you want to look at it (like an add pop up on websites - look at me!!! look at me!!!) - problem is I want to look at the book!
Post 45 IP   flag post
For me, it's that white box the grade is in....I dont like it...CBCS's label is waaaaay nicer looking, hands down.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot to mention, the grader notes are so much better at CBCS. Lately, CGC doesn't even have grader notes for NM comics. And when they do, they are frigging useless. And "free" is so much better. How crazy is it that the grader notes cost $5 per at CGC and most of the time they don't even tell you anything? "Stress lines to cover"? Useless.

But can I just mention how utterly stupid it is to have a complex, alpha-numeric code for each comic? C'mon, CBCS, why make it such a pain to enter? Hell, the system doesn't even take lower-case letters, which forces me to use my shift key or caps lock. And it's such a pain to read ... is that a number, or a letter? It would be so much easier if I knew going in that they were all numbers. What the hell is the point for this, anyway? It's not a password. If you run out of numbers, you just add another digit on the end, right? It's not rocket science: don't use letters, don't use dashes, KISS.

Grader notes is a great example where, even when they have a clear advantage over CGC, CBCS still shoots themselves in the foot.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
For me, it's that white box the grade is in....I dont like it...CBCS's label is waaaaay nicer looking, hands down.
Yup - looks like a sticker and draws my eyes toward it

There is alot more actual info on the CBCS label because they actually use the back of the label to add details on the story or that there are 2 versions i.e blue background or purple background etc.etc.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

There is alot more actual info on the CBCS label because they actually use the back of the label to add details on the story or that there are 2 versions i.e blue background or purple background etc.etc.

I get that some don't like it. But it pops, which is a good thing, in my opinion. The font is better, and it's more immediately obvious what the grade it. CBCS labels, I feel like I'm doing a double take. Like I have to look again, make sure it's the grade I think it is. And standing out like it's a sticker, and the holofoil, are details that just look nicer.

Besides, doesn't CBCS use holofoil, too? Just not a sticker added on?
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I get that some don't like it. But it pops, which is a good thing, in my opinion. The font is better, and it's more immediately obvious what the grade it. CBCS labels, I feel like I'm doing a double take. Like I have to look again, make sure it's the grade I think it is. And standing out like it's a sticker, and the holofoil, are details that just look nicer.

Besides, doesn't CBCS use holofoil, too? Just not a sticker added on?

haha!! I guess to each their own as the saying goes - some people like pickled herring or studinetz - who am I to judge!!

For me I prefer the look of the CBCS label and of course the clear non oil ringed slab!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Look, I know I'm not a high-volume guy, not like some people. But it's not nothing, either. And after getting burned a few years ago with the infamous label switch, I'm not coming back easy. CBCS screwed me and a lot of other people on that one, and it royally pissed me off. It was a bone-head move.

So, the label aesthetics is the last piece. Get a better label, one that is as good as the CGC label, one that pops, and is quality paper and not cheap paper, and I'd switch back right now. I might switch back anyway, but that's the final sticking point. And that would be 800 - 1000 graded books per year, at my current rate.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
For me I prefer the look of the CBCS label and of course the clear non oil ringed slab!

Oh, yeah, those Newton rings are a pain. They STILL haven't fixed them. It's only been, what, a year? Two?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, yeah, those Newton rings are a pain. They STILL haven't fixed them. It's only been, what, a year? Two?

I think its been 4 years.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The slabs look nice. The clarity on the sides looks good along with not seeing the scorch marks from the sealing process. Labels look ok. Minor adjustments, but still a little bland looking to me. Can't argue with no Newton rings. Good job.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I think its been 4 years.

CGC fixed the inner well that they said didn't need fixing but @Dick_Pontoon's video showed otherwise. I was glad that CGC fixed the inner well even if Harshen thought everyone who had warped books was lying. The rings are still an issue, but I've heard that it isn't as consistent now.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601329 170 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?