Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Temperature12114

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey gang! Much like my introductory thread, i wanted to ask you everyon3 if my books would be okay for a short timenat 84 degrees farenheit? Im thinking not but its a hot one in nepa. Already have a dehumidifier. Ty!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If it's your only choice, it's not really an option and theres nothing you can do. In my opinion humidity is worse than heat. So at least you have that covered.

But I'm thinking even if you buy a book from a store or ebay, it spends time in warehouses, non air conditioned postal jeeps it gets exposed to temps higher than 84 degrees. The books will survive that short time. Just make sure the bags are high quality and dont melt with the covers of your favorite books.....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
If it's your only choice, it's not really an option and theres nothing you can do. In my opinion humidity is worse than heat. So at least you have that covered.

But I'm thinking even if you buy a book from a store or ebay, it spends time in warehouses, non air conditioned postal jeeps it gets exposed to temps higher than 84 degrees. The books will survive that short time. Just make sure the bags are high quality and dont melt with the covers of your favorite books.....
that's an excellent point!! And I have mylites 3 and e gerber boards! I mostly worried about my silver age stuff. Some books are on mylite 4's
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
You could send your books on a vacation for the hot summer months. Time your CBCS pressing during the heated months and let them chill at CBCS.

Figure a year in an air controlled environment.
=)

Yes. I'm kind of kidding.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
You could send your books on a vacation for the hot summer months. Time your CBCS pressing during the heated months and let them chill at CBCS.

Figure a year in an air controlled environment.
=)

Yes. I'm kind of kidding.

Lol!!! That might work hahah
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Your books will be just fine at 84 degrees.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Your books will be just fine at 84 degrees.

Praise the lawd!!! Ty so much
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
80s are ok; sustained 90+ is bad; yo-yo is very bad
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The Mylars help and the temperature I am sure was a gradual increase to 84 degrees. The dehumidifier is also a big plus to keep that humidity down. Hopefully below 60% RH. A sudden change in temperature would be a bigger concern. I teach psychrometrics and have a passion for properties of air and airflow design. In a nutshell, your books should be fine.
Oh, welcome aboard.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
80s are ok; sustained 90+ is bad; yo-yo is very bad

It does yo-yo a little bit not by much usually by 10 degrees....ugh that doesn't good
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yes, yo-yo is bad!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Yes, yo-yo is bad!

Well shit!...I'll have to keep a closer eye on them. Ty so much! 👍
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I had books stored in my garage for a couple years. Temperature in the garage ranged from 40 degrees in the winter to over 100 degrees in the summer. I pulled a few books from the boxes and sent them in to get graded and they all came back with white pages. Four 9.8s, one 9.6, and one 8.5 due to a crease on the back cover.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I hear that a lot . I guess I shouldn't worry too much but I want them to last. I hate asking these questions but I need some solid advice.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
The Mylars help and the temperature I am sure was a gradual increase to 84 degrees. The dehumidifier is also a big plus to keep that humidity down. Hopefully below 60% RH. A sudden change in temperature would be a bigger concern. I teach psychrometrics and have a passion for properties of air and airflow design. In a nutshell, your books should be fine.
Oh, welcome aboard.

Thank you! I joined several months ago and it was to ask these types of questions. I feel like I should know this already but too much knowledge never hurt anyone! Lol

Yes it was a gradual increase never sudden.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
I had books stored in my garage for a couple years. Temperature in the garage ranged from 40 degrees in the winter to over 100 degrees in the summer. I pulled a few books from the boxes and sent them in to get graded and they all came back with white pages. Four 9.8s, one 9.6, and one 8.5 due to a crease on the back cover.
That is impressive.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
That is impressive.

Impressive indeed
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The Mylars help and the temperature I am sure was a gradual increase to 84 degrees.

Mylars definitely will help. Over time, poly bags tend to stick together especially if the books are stored somewhere that can get really warm. I had some books whose bags were stuck together and some were so bad that they had to be peeled off one another. I think if your books are keep bagged and boarded in a closed box, having them stick together pose a worse threat to comic than a warm garage.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Was a hit one today. Temperature gauge was 86, highest they were ever exposed to. It was only for a short while though.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Keep your comic room/storage....

Temperature = 69 degrees F
Humidity = 50%

Wherever you live, maintain it!

EDIT.. in a pitch black room.
Post 20 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a digital temp and humidity gauge I keep on top of my comic boxes. I bought from Amazon cheap. highly reccomend so you can see exactly what the conditions are and act accordingly.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Keep your comic room/storage....

Temperature = 69 degrees F
Humidity = 50%

Wherever you live, maintain it!

I'm working on it bro. Ots rough with a smaller AC and high outside temperatures
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I've got a digital temp and humidity gauge I keep on top of my comic boxes. I bought from Amazon cheap. highly reccomend so you can see exactly what the conditions are and act accordingly.

I have one of those as well. Has been invaluable for trying to maintain storage conditions. Just trying to work with what I got.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Wow...I'm lacking. My books are mostly in the basement (finished) with 1 or 2 thousand on the top floor in my 'office'
We keep the house in summer at 23C so like 80F??? likely a little warmer upstairs vs downstairs.
I just figure as long as I feel ok then the books are also ok.
Some days though even with temp set at 23C it gets warm upstairs - heading back to 30C+ with humidex values in 40's this weekend (90F with humidex of 110F+)

My igloo is going to melt!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics that's my understanding as well, "I feel ok then the books are also ok."...I think this applies more for temperature...not sure about humidity. I don't know if the humidity can be too high for the comics but I wouldn't feel it to notice.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
in a pitch black room.

This helps with the temp as well.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
So weird, I have never in my life lived in a house or apartment with central air conditioning. The humidity is not the same on the west coast but I have many books that graded with white pages after 30 years of storage in garage or under the stairs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
So weird, I have never in my life lived in a house or apartment with central air conditioning. The humidity is not the same on the west coast but I have many books that graded with white pages after 30 years of storage in garage or under the stairs.

West coast is awesome - my uncle lived on Vancouver Island for 40 yrs and as a kid my parents would send me to visit - just perfect except for the rain!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I am traveling the country starting from the northwest. Shocked how hot it is, pretty much everywhere. Occasionally had to wear a coat at home over the last few weeks. Seems a distant memory with all the 90’s and 100’s all over.
Paranoid the RV AC will die, then I will.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

My silver books still have white pages which I'm shocked about. I have a few comic skins around them to keep them safe till I get them graded. Btw , does anyone know how well a slab actually protects a book? 🤔
Post 30 IP   flag post
601196 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?