Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Batman 89 is my curse. Need input.12105

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
As you may know; Mattina is a part of the up coming CBCS signing event. In the past few months I’ve purchased 3 copies of Batman 89 Mattina cover and all 3 arrived damaged. 2 copies were Damaged beyond repair and were returned with some unnecessary hassle from the sellers.

The 3rd arrived today with bends And a nasty corner crunch. Luckily the only color break is on the back cover corner maybe 1-2mm. I contacted the seller to let him know it arrived damaged And waiting to hear back. I want to ask if he will cover pressing.

I want to send in this book for the signing And am running out of time. I feel that I’m not going to be able get this book undamaged regardless of how well packed.

Should I just have Avery press it and Send it for the signing? Or just let this One pass And hope there will be another signing with Mattina and Tynion?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Let it pass, both guys ‘whore’ themselves out, cuz if you are trying to flip anything less then 9.8 probably isn’t worth it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Send it back, not worth the hassle.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
You have to make that call. What gets you to the finish line.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector patman01 private msg quote post Address this user
Sign and press? This way, you can try to correct any damage incurred during signing later on

But given such a modern book, I would personally just buy a signed and graded book instead. You are at least guaranteed with no worries
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
show us a detail picture of the damage and of course talk with Josh and see if he thinks it can be fixed to get a 9.8.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I’m still waiting on seller.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I'd just buy another one. Faster and more certain than pressing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
nope, no chance for it to be pressed into a 9.8
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
By the time you're done pressing and grading the comic wont even be worth a third of what you put in.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Buzbe private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
By the time you're done pressing and grading the comic wont even be worth a third of what you put in.

Dido
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
nope, no chance for it to be pressed into a 9.8

Oh, boy ... I hadn't refreshed, so I didn't see the images before I posted that. No, don't press it. Return it, full refund. Ug.

The signatures will be expensive, so I'm assuming $45 for the comic is okay? Three bad experiences in a row is REALLY bad luck, WAY worse than it should be. Buy this one, but first reach out, ask him if he knows how to ship comic books safely. Tell him you've just bought this comic twice (not three times) and both times it got damaged in shipping. Tell him you are willing to pay extra for Priority in a secure box.

Okay, wait a sec ... I just had a closer look at that one, that corner might be problematic. You want a solid 9.8 candidate, and this one is iffy. This one looks better ... ask for pics out of the bag, and then offer him $55, same thing as before on shipping.

Or better yet, buy these two, get them both signed by Tynion, sell the A to pay for them both. The A cover looks fine, but the B cover you definitely want to get pressed after signing. There is a stacking bend that is totally pressable, but would probably keep it at 9.6 without the press.

This one seems cherry - worth the risk, I think, and decent price. He mails priority in a padded envelope, so ask him if he uses a Gemini mailer INSIDE the padded envelope. Same story as before on the shipping, but it should be fine.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I've never even thought of purchasing a comic book from Mexico until today. I found this site, but I don't know anything about them. Maybe try your luck here?

https://fantasticocomic.com/busqueda?q=batman+89
Post 13 IP   flag post
Alright. We’ll see what happens with seller.
If seller would cover pressing I wouldn’t mind throwing this one in the PC for a rainy day. I mean it’s the best copy I’ve received 😂

Thanks to all
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
There's colour break .. No point pressing
Post 15 IP   flag post
Well I sent a message to seller about shipping damage. I did not get a response and sent a return request. Still no response after return request. eBay refunded my purchase so that’s good.

Anyone want a crumpled Batman 89?🤷🏻‍♂️
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector patman01 private msg quote post Address this user
Return the book and forget about it. You got your money back anyway
Post 17 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash I'll take it! I didn't get the Mattina cover as I couldn't find it in shops around my area.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Well I sent a message to seller about shipping damage. I did not get a response and sent a return request. Still no response after return request. eBay refunded my purchase so that’s good.

It's fine to give it away, but hold onto it for awhile first. He may send the label to you a week from now. And if you can no longer mail it back, you'll have to return the refund.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash

It's fine to give it away, but hold onto it for awhile first. He may send the label to you a week from now. And if you can no longer mail it back, you'll have to return the refund.
yup. It will sit untouched for a bit.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Somewhat related, didn't want to start a new post. Is anyone familiar with these:

Batman 89 encore edition

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C129271.html
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Somewhat related, didn't want to start a new post. Is anyone familiar with these:

Batman 89 encore edition

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C129271.html

What the hell is that? Looks like it came out in Feb, but I've never seen it before. "MSRP" sounds like marketing bullshit ... the "manufacturer" is DC, and they don't care what the hell you sell it for.

I'd give it a miss.
Post 22 IP   flag post
601329 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?