Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics MagazinesComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Preserving Treasury Editions12098

Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello All! I got one that has me stumped. I recently got a copy of the DC Marvel Presents #27 (Hulk v. Batman)and man am I at a lose of how to preserve it. It is a treasury Edition which means it’s printed to 13 1/2 x 11 inches. I’m sure I can finagle a backboard for it but can not figure out how to keep it properly covered. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for suggestions. The board is always really helpful and it is much appreciated. All the best.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Following
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Although not ideal, can you shove it into an oversize top loader?

https://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.php?products_id=5263

(Not suggesting you buy it from there, just that its seems the smallest size that would fit.)
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Bronte that would work. Didn’t even think about that. Definitely better than nothing haha. I’m guessing these guys can’t be slabbed. It’s a really awesome book and I don’t want it getting all beat up.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
As far as a bag is concerned, you may need something large like an LP cover and make your own modifications
Post 5 IP   flag post
@RexMuff That’s a good suggestion too. I would even do both haha. Place it in plastic bag with backboard and in a top loader. It’s not going to fit in a comic book that’s for sure.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@Noblebeast315 I’ve seen sealable bags for magazines as well. Good luck
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the suggestions! It’s a cool book.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector helsabot private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.bcwsupplies.com/treasury-bags-boards

There are treasury sized bag and boards specific for this size, definitely good to have for all these odd sized books.
Also I believe that CBCS does do raw grading on treasuries, but no on encapsulation.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
Hello All! I got one that has me stumped. I recently got a copy of the DC Marvel Presents #27 (Hulk v. Batman)and man am I at a lose of how to preserve it. It is a treasury Edition which means it’s printed to 13 1/2 x 11 inches. I’m sure I can finagle a backboard for it but can not figure out how to keep it properly covered. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for suggestions. The board is always really helpful and it is much appreciated. All the best.

My inclination is to suggest an appropriately sized top-loader (they come in a range of dimensions all the way up to poster sized). As for backing boards and envelopes, I’d look for oversized Mylar sheets that can be folded around the backing board and taped. Note: This suggestion is based what I'd do, but I’m not a Treasury Edition collector.

Anyway, materials satisfying your requirements should be readily available. There may actually be Mylar envelopes available in treasury book size, but I doubt it. Neutral pH backing boards should be available in larger sizes. If not, perhaps oversized card stock can be buffer treated and then cut to size.

Post 10 IP   flag post
@helsabot oh that would be great.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector PixelPanda144 private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t bought a treasury edition for a while but when I bought them they were bagged.

Because of that I just assumed that treasury-sizes bags and boards were available.

Is that not the case?

I never thought of slabbing mine but now I want to find out of that’s a possibility.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few Treasuries (let me know if you need more). I have them in Life Magazine-sized bags with boards.

They are a little loose-fitting, but they do the job. Or as already mentioned, CBCS will Raw Grade them - grade them and put them in giant Mylites with boards.

I have had a few of mine Raw Graded.

Post 13 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
try this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-25-50-100-250-BCW-PREMADE-COMIC-BOOK-TREASURY-BAGS-AND-BOARDS/174198660541?hash=item288f0c9dbd:m:mq8jJdKRGjehagOKkoTAoGA
Post 14 IP   flag post
@PixelPanda144 I got this one off EBay and it did have a bag but it was pretty disgusting. I didn’t feel like I was doing the book any favors keeping it in the bag. I ended up laying it on a flat box in my closet sandwiched between two pieces of release paper until I could figure out what to do with it haha.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
in the link I posted you can buy as little as 10 bags and boards, they claim to ship free (I didn't look to see if there was a minimum to buy). I bought some from either Mile High comics or from My Comic Shop many years ago, don't know if they even still sell them. anyway, fairly easy to find. I love 'em, when i was a kid I had to use vegetable bags from the supermarket, they probably weren't the best but they were better than nothing.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I think it’s safe to say my problem has been solved. I completely blanked on BCW and don’t think I ever tried conducting searches with the Key word “Treasury Edition”. Now I see they make bags and boards for those and will be able to her pressed and looking good and ready for a nice bag and board! May even get CBCS to grade it! Thanks again everyone. You all have been really helpful. All the best!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@esaravo that Strange Book is awesome. Brunner is one of my favs.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@esaravo that Strange Book is awesome. Brunner is one of my favs.

I love to make trades. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
cbcs is hoping to do full grading on treasury size by early next year.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

E. Gerber makes Large Mylar 2mil sleeves and Full Backs in 13x13 may be your best bet👍🏻
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.mycomicshop.com/comicsupplies
Post 22 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
All of the options given are great. I’d seriously consider a Mylar solution vs the others. For preservation Mylar last indefinitely and the E. Gerber back boards are buffered throughout as opposed to others that have a coating on one side. From personal experience Poly bags deteriorate quite fast on those older books. I have a lot books I had to re bag and board after 3 years.

Just took another look. E. Gerber offers Archivals in 14 3/4 x 18 1/2 big enough and you could trim the length. You can get custom size back boards from E. Gerber too.clickable text
Post 23 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash I agree the Mylar bags are MUCH better.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Treasury Edition size bags and boards exist. You should be able to get one thru your LCS. I have most of the DC books and at least 3 Marvel. Storage boxes, you ask? Well, you buy a 4 row card collecting box and either remove the row dividers or don’t put them in at all. That should hold 10 or 15 books, i think.
Post 25 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, you can get treasury bags and boards. You can use a magazine or graded comic box to store treasuries in, you just have to lay them down with the spine up, or down, and put them in the box lengthwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor
cbcs is hoping to do full grading on treasury size by early next year.

We will not be offering full encapsulation on treasuries. Only raw grade.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Since changes take place at any time, this is new info. I got a Treasury done a little while ago and was happy to hear they were going to do more by the end of the year. Then everything happened.
Now:
As of May 2020, every Raw Grade submission will be checked for restoration and conservation. If any work is discovered, the word "Altered" will appear on the sticker label. Only with a regular submission will the details of the restoration or conservation work appear on the label. It is strictly an evaluation of the book’s condition at the time of grading.

The Raw Grade service is not meant to provide long-term protection for comics. Customers wanting to have their books graded and protected should utilize our traditional grading service.

Since my grading was before May, it was much more limited. However, hopefully, CBCS will still look to get the slabs to do the Treasury size in 2021. ( Yep, I was told how expensive the mold and casings can be.)

The collectors will come when this is fully available.
Post 27 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Being very serious here......Who would pay $75+ ship/ins for grading a treasury edition? With the weight, shipping would be very high. The comic is much bigger, so will take longer to grade, would dealers carry around to conventions giant holders instead of many more books they could sell and the cost of tooling and plastics are insane, probably $65K+.
With shipping, it could be $100 per book. How many of you will be sending in 10 or more for grading?
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock I would not for the simple reason as there is a low cost alternative; regular sized comics. The $100 cost for grading 1 treasury is probably the cost of grading 2.5-3 SA comics.

Also, from an investment point of view, do graded treasury books recoup the $100 grading cost? I.e are treasuries valuable?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@sborock that’s an incredibly valid point to make. I don’t see myself having a collection of Treasury Editions, but honestly I don’t know a whole lot about them to begin with. I see Steve’s stake in this as checking the pulse of this kind of demand, before taking a trip down that road. I can say this though, I am still interested in having my Treasury edition book graded raw. Probably will not make it to your grading desk post though!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601221 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?