Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Books with reproduction covers12067

Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I'm new to the boards and am reaching out for thoughts / advise on Golden & Silver Age books with reproduced (and re-attached) covers? How does CBCS grade these books? I ask because I have a coverless showcase 4 with some mild interior restoration (tear seals) and a reproduction cover that has been attached to the book using the original staples. Will CBCS grade a book like this or should I not even bother?

Thanks for your advise.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Detached covers are common, and while they are not high grade books they are still original and have value (especially keys).

Repro covers, or any restoration, are value killers. Better a coverless key than a repro cover (unless it's just for looks). Won't increase value and you'd probably rather not have "reproduction cover" on the notations if you slab it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
The title of this thread paints a disturbing picture! Lol! 😜
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Batman79 private msg quote post Address this user
Definitely a PC thing. Wouldn't attach it if your intention is to sell it eventually. They are nice to have for collection showing personal completion. Far better at times than cover, cover, cover, oops, cover, cover.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Schumy2 - Welcome. Wow, a Showcase #4 is a serious key, basically THE book that started the SA of comics. If you are keeping it for yourself, I would just put it in a Mylites 2 with a fullback. If you definitely want to slab it and think you may one day sell it, I personally would remove the reproduction cover. Then if you do decide to sell it, collectors will be able to see the actual book, not the $15 reproduction cover. If the book is otherwise intact, it should receive a 0.3 grade from CBCS. Because of its significance, Showcase #4 is still a valuable and desirable book.

PS - A long time ago, a friend of my family gave me a stack of comics from the 1950's. There was a Showcase #5 in the pile, not a #4. So close.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for the feedback. I've decided to send the book in and hope for the best. I plan on keeping it so I don't really care what numerical grade it ultimately receives. I really just want to make sure its slabbed and protected.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600515 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?