Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver Age

First Submission12062

Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I've been collecting for almost 40 years. I've purchased a small handfull of graded books in the past. I finally decided to dive in and start getting some of mine graded. Just got my first batch back today. Some of these I knew were going to score low but because of what they were, I wanted to get them done. I think the most I paid for any of these was $150. The Batman was part of a large collection I picked up about 18 years ago. The faded Giant Size was my first "high dollar" my parents got for my birthday when I was about 12 for $75. She still asks me about that one because she can't believe how much they paid for a comic.
The House of Secrets I paid about $150 each about the same time as the Batman. Managed to get Bernie Wrightson to sign one a couple of years before he passed. I have more I want done but those I plan on having pressed. None of these were. May have helped on the grade on a couple, but I'm still happy.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome stuff!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I wish... That's a seriously awesome mail call. Congrats on the grades.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster - Welcome to the forums. Great stuff, can't wait to see what you submit next.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster Fantastic submission!! Welcome to the forum!! Keep posting your books, would love to see more.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Nice congrats
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster very nice comics! Thanks for sharing!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing more fun than leafing through a box of graded keys, every one of which you know the story to.
I learned, if it’s worth grading, it’s worth pressing. Even half a grade bump is well worth it, and I have seen some 2 grade bumps.
Be fun to see your next group, those are some awesome books!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome @Puckster great books, love hearing the stories behind the books.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster Seeing your books reminds me why I would rather own 3-4 lower grade keys than 1 higher grade of equal value. Having several cool pieces of history is more fun than having 1 better preserved piece of history...in my opinion.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster nice comics. Congrats! By the way, not sure if your moniker is an Alpha Flight reference or sporting reference, but either way, welcome.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Phill59898 private msg quote post Address this user
I never seen a point 5 grade that's so cool you have a great collection so far
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster
I've been collecting for almost 40 years. I've purchased a small handfull of graded books in the past. I finally decided to dive in and start getting some of mine graded. Just got my first batch back today. Some of these I knew were going to score low but because of what they were, I wanted to get them done. I think the most I paid for any of these was $150. The Batman was part of a large collection I picked up about 18 years ago. The faded Giant Size was my first "high dollar" my parents got for my birthday when I was about 12 for $75. She still asks me about that one because she can't believe how much they paid for a comic.
The House of Secrets I paid about $150 each about the same time as the Batman. Managed to get Bernie Wrightson to sign one a couple of years before he passed. I have more I want done but those I plan on having pressed. None of these were. May have helped on the grade on a couple, but I'm still happy.

Excellent stuff really nice comic mix, and a prime example as to why it’s not all about the grade although it’s always nice to attain a good grade it’s also about the love of collecting and the memories that are attached to the items.
I’m looking forward to the next batch.
PS even the .5 looks good 👌
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone. The .5 is because, first of all the outside is really rough. However on the inside, it's missing a page that affects the story. I got that about 20 years ago. I picked up a long box of Silvers at about $3 each. There were several that turned out to be really good, but this was the biggest key in the whole box. I knew it would be bad when I sent it, but I wanted to verify. Like both of the Giant Size ended up being higher than I thought they would be, believe it or not.
Post 14 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome, @Puckster. Nice stuff!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@doog Anything older I have I will probably be pressing from now on. Some of these I really didn't know if it would have done much because of condition.

@EbaySeller I try to get higher grade items when I can. Sometimes, all I can afford is something on the lower end. I look back at some of these and what I paid for them at the time and I'm still happy.

@Scifinator Neither, actually. It's a play on my actual name.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster Welcome aboard. I really love the signed House of Secrets.
Post 17 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I didn't respond because I was jealous of @Puckster, shame on me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
House of Secrets 92 is on my must have list.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

@Scifinator Neither, actually. It's a play on my actual name.

Swung on and missed as Kirby steals 2nd!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@Puckster
You sir, are my hero, and welcome to this awesome community. Can’t wait to see what else you have!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Scifinator Got it.

So, the HOS 92s. I decided one day I was going to bite the bullet and get one. Had wanted it since I was about 12. I had the means at the time to get a low mid grade and went on ebay every day for about a month looking for a steal. Finally ran across one for about $100 (was thinking it was $150 but was wrong). When I got it, I couldn't believe I got it for that price. I figured it had to have a major problem I didn't know about. Decided to look for another one and caught another for about the same price by pure dumb luck.
Then about 6 years ago, I saw Bernie Wrightson was going to be at a convention I was going to. I agonized for over a week on trying to decide if I should have him sign one or not because I knew that if I (or my family after I'm gone) tried to sell it, authenticity would be a question and I was potentially "ruining" it. I finally said screw it. It's my book. I have no intention of getting rid of it after he signs it. It will be worth way more to me after that so I'm doing it. There was a guy standing there when I brought it out. I thought his eyes were going to bug out. Never once regretted it. Getting a VSP on it was just icing on the cake.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
I finally said screw it. It's my book. I have no intention of getting rid of it after he signs it. It will be worth way more to me after that so I'm doing it.

Post 23 IP   flag post
600735 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?