Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is schumacher and burton batman set in the sams timeline?12059

Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
There was hints in forever thst possibly they are in the same timeline. Like when, bruce is afraid of dick taking his revenge too far like he may have done, and that the killer of his parents bruce"s looks like jack slash the joker from burton batman.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The movies are generally accepted to be in the same series. While the director and the actor playing Bruce Wayne/Batman changed it is pretty much a single continuity, similar to the James Bond movies.

The movies don’t make a lot of overt references to one another, even the two Burton movies aren’t as seamless as say the MCU is nowadays.

That said, the four movies do have continuity in the supporting characters. Alfred is played by Michael Gough in all four movies and Pat Hingle plays Commissioner Gordon in the four. Harvey Dent was famously recast for Batman Forever but only appeared briefly in Burton’s First film before appearing as Two-Face in the third.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
I agree they are I thinkin the same timeline too. Same Alfred same Gordon Diffrent Gotham city styles though. Burton more gothic schuma cher Gotham more Andy Warhol popping colors.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Burton is more specifically a German Expressionist at heart. His version of Gotham City looks like it could've come out of Metropolis from the 1920s

Certainly the way he designs his characters borrows from that movement as well

For all the hate it receives, I don't think the design of Gotham City in the Schumacher is terrible. I quite like the colossal statuary mixed among the art deco buildings, almost as if every rich steel and oil tycoon in the 1920s decided they had to have a statue of liberty of their own. Which really is building on some of the ideas in Burton's films, particularly in Batman Returns.

I actually think the biggest difference between Schumacher and Burton's Gotham is that Burton sticks to an almost monochromatic palate, again drawing from German Expressionism and Film Noir, while Schumacher lights it with an almost overbearing neon, which I think still works, in away, to express the overgrown and overcrowded mess of Gotham City. Of course extending that same look to the characters themselves ended up looking goofy.

As bad as Schumacher's films were received (I do think Forever has some redeeming qualities), I don't think the design of the city itself was the problem. I really think it's a pretty interesting setting and a Batman film could work here and I think some of the Arkham games have settings somewhat reminiscent of these designs.

Post 4 IP   flag post
607089 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?