Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

Help id Todd's signature12029

Collector Madman private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all again. I found these "Todd Mcfarlane autographed books". Now, i did my research, and found a few early 90's books that had the same signature. Do these look authentic to anyone here? I know Todd kinda "modified" his autographs throughout the years. I just want to get your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Jo

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think so. Can you see how there is inconsistency between the 3 signatures? His signature has changed over the years but shouldn't all 3 of them be the same?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I kinda thought so. Maybe done in a hurry, like a long line at a convention and signed them quickly just to get it out of the way? I am very intrigued.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
They look fake to me. He doesn't typically draw a line under the last name letters that lines up with his final "E". (Even while hurried)

This one I have where he did draw a line under his last name and it's not consistent with your examples. Most others signatures I have don't have the line under middle last name letters.

Here is another I have where he drew a line under last name:

Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This one he drew a crazy line past his final "E"

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Here're two examples of McFarlane's sig around 1990-

And here's the rushed version of his sig from the books that he signed for the "Spider's Web" in 1990-

You can see some similarity to his old signing style, but I can't say that yours are legit with any confidence. Only way to be certain would be to send them in to VSP. Good luck!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the advice. I know vsp is the way to go. I just wanted to make sure.
I have seen his "normal" signature but not these before. So, final verdict: Good. Bad. Maybe? Votes please
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
IMO. they look way to lazy and inconsistent to be the real deal.

Todd's sig always looks pretty clean
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If those are authentic McFarlane signatures, I would say he signed them under a situation that did not allow his normally tight, clean signature - i.e. like walking down a line of folks with their books out.

(Side Note: I've seen this happen many times at conventions in the interest of time, when an artist has 5 minutes left in the hour signing time and they get up and walk down the signing line for time purposes and to get everyone in.). This results in a "different looking signature" to occur because they're going so fast and standing up as they're signing.

There are portions of each of those signatures that look like McFarlane and then there are portions that look rushed / or not authentic.
Post 9 IP   flag post
After seeing examples from @eee91, I would consider the original poster's signatures to be early 1990s rushed signatures possibly. But, it is strange one says "Todd" and the other 2 are "T. McFarlane".
Post 10 IP   flag post
600859 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?