Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Opinions on grading modern books12002

Collector JosephSMASH private msg quote post Address this user
I have a ton of newer #1’s from 2000-current like Venom (2017) #1, Ghost Rider (2006) #1, Venom (2003) #1, Batman & Robin (2011) #1, and a ton of others. Pretty much all of them would probably get at least a 9.0 (I hope), so I just wanted to know everybody’s opinions on how you all go about grading modern #1’s that aren’t necessarily SUPER valuable. Should I get them graded? Should I hold off? Also I’m strictly talking about slabbed grades and not raw grades from CBCS. And also the reason I like grading my books is basically just for fun. I like getting high-grade keys and stuff like that, but ever since I started sending in comics to the big three grading services late last year, I’ve just decided that I’m going to eventually grade everything and anything I get. Anyways I’m droning on, but I just like this forum because all your guys’ helpful responses make me super hyped to be a comic collector.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
wasting money that could be spent on more books IMHO. ESPECIALLY if they are only 9.0. Anything less than a 9.8 on a modern book is a waste of time. Again this is just my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
If they mean anything to you yeah get them graded. If not see above post. If your still not sure. Read mine again
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I just get books graded that I find interesting. Whether they’re big key books

Commissioned artwork

Interesting signature opportunities

Cover art I like

Or favorite books from my childhood

Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Ask yourself if the cost of grading and shipping is worth it (meaning the graded comic value is worth more than the grading/shipping costs). If yes, then atleast financially speaking, it makes sense. If no, then ask yourself what is it about the grading/slabbing service you like? If the $$ you'll be out is still worth it to you, then do it, if not, do not do it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Okay thanks guys!! I just like knowing the advice and opinions of other people who are also collectors. I’ve been collecting comics since 2014 and ever since last October I’ve gotten a ton of books graded, low and high grades as well as a couple raw grades from CBCS as well. I think I have to agree the most with @dielinfinite on this one tho. A lot of my books I got graded because of stuff like cool and oversized issues, #1’s, and even stuff like a 0.5 grade Spawn #2😂😂.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephSMASH
I have a ton of newer #1’s from 2000-current like Venom (2017) #1, Ghost Rider (2006) #1, Venom (2003) #1, Batman & Robin (2011) #1, and a ton of others. Pretty much all of them would probably get at least a 9.0 (I hope), so I just wanted to know everybody’s opinions on how you all go about grading modern #1’s that aren’t necessarily SUPER valuable. Should I get them graded? Should I hold off? Also I’m strictly talking about slabbed grades and not raw grades from CBCS. And also the reason I like grading my books is basically just for fun. I like getting high-grade keys and stuff like that, but ever since I started sending in comics to the big three grading services late last year, I’ve just decided that I’m going to eventually grade everything and anything I get. Anyways I’m droning on, but I just like this forum because all your guys’ helpful responses make me super hyped to be a comic collector.

It really all depends on preferences. When I first got into grading, I would send all kinds of modern stuff to CGC and CBCS to get graded. Admittedly, I had no damn clue what I was doing. The majority of modern stuff I would send down would be ratio variants for Transformers, Star Wars, and some other stuff thinking that it would be worth something down the line. Most likely, they won't. Modern variants definitely have a window of time where value can be maximized. I still send in a few Transformers variants because it is a personal goal of mine to slab the retailer incentives for some of the mini series and what not that IDW has put out. At the end of the day, the best advice I could give would be to slab it if you like it. If you are concerned with monetary/future value, you'll need to strive for all 9.8 grades. Values can drop dramatically if it isn't a 9.8, and I personally think I screwed up at life if, for example I submit a Star Wars #1 action figure variant and it comes back a 9.6 I feel it is essentially a wasted submission. At the end of the day, collect what you like, grade what you like, and have fun doing it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Oh yeah and also, I get books graded based on the fact that I think it’s fun. My girlfriend thinks it’s dumb because after they’re graded all you can really do is stare at them. So far, I haven’t been worried about the money values of my books. But hypothetically, if I was to get like a 8.0 or higher Action Comics #1, you can bet I’m selling that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
For me personally.... The ONLY reason to ever pay to have a book slabbed is if I plan to sell it at some point.

There are plenty of much more affordable mylar products on the market to display and preserve your books with, which also allow you to still be able to read them.

Many forget the fact that they have to store these giant slabs of plastic and more often than not find themselves with storage problem as these slabs eat up a lot of space real quick.

I do have slabbed books, but the vast majority of my collection will always remain raw in mylars neatly tucked away in my Custom wall cabinet.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
That's a mighty fine looking wall cabinet you built.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephSMASH
And also the reason I like grading my books is basically just for fun. I like getting high-grade keys and stuff like that,

The thing with buying collectibles or slabbing, even if you are doing it for non-monetary reasons, it's still a better vice than gambling. It can scratch that itch and give you the same kind of endorphin rush without leaving you broke and devastated at the end. I typically slab for selling purposes, but I tend to add more and more books to my submission because I want to roll the dice and see what the outcome will be. I certainly have had situations where I thought I had a $50 book but after slabbing I had a $150 book. Same is true the other direction, but unlike gambling I still have the asset after the rush of finding out the grades is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
wasting money that could be spent on more books IMHO

For sure accumulating more investment comics should be more fulfilling than accumulating more slabs. For most of us older collectors the book is more important than the grade. But I've noticed that for modern books preserved in plentiful supply it's often purely about the grade...either it's 9.8 or it's nothing. But I'm not really a modern collector.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

Thank you kind sir.... I think storage is an area that is often over looked with comic books in general. Accumulating slabbed books can certainly present a storage problem for anyone not blessed with the ample space to store them.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

Thank you kind sir.... I think storage is an area that is often over looked with comic books in general. Accumulating slabbed books can certainly present a storage problem for anyone not blessed with the ample space to store them.

I remember seeing your pictures as you were building it. Very impressive.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Ironwill75 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I slab books I’m going to keep so I want them preserving. I don’t care really about the price of the books if it’s something I like or some book that’s holds some significance to me I’ll slab it. It’s a very individual thing. However I would agree with other posts on here if your doing it as a business or to make money then you have to pay attention to the ceiling price of the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I only get books slabbed to sell them.
So Moderns at a low grade would be a severe loss of money.

Anything for my Personal collection I maintain without a slab.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
I slab keys and what I think is a cool book. I get raw grades for most of my submissions To know what I am selling and price accordingly. Sometimes I come ahead with the grade, sometimes I don't. But I like to leave it up to my customers if they want to have books encapsulated. At that point the raw grade gives me a basis on what price my books at and its cost-effective. But I do tend to encapsulate most golden age books I own to preserve them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Modern/Current 9.8s only certain “high value” books and Art/Sketch’s ok at 9.6. Sentient has no monetary value. My first slabbed key is FF 150 at 6.5. it’s worth like $12 total Monetary loss, I may have it pressed and regraded, but I am happy with it as is.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m way more of a casual collector than many on these boards.

There’s some amazing collections on here and mine barely registers on the radar.

With that said, I slab keys and books that have value to me.

I do research to see if I end up on the plus side or even with the cost of slabbing.

The books are still an investment and I prefer to have a certain amount of liquidity when it comes to selling in a pinch.

So, basically, slab what you want, but you might keep an eye on your return, as well.
Post 18 IP   flag post
601274 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?