Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Harley Quinn, Supergirl, Three Jokers and TMNT11992

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
First off, Harley Quinn, Supergirl and The Terrifics comicbook series are being canceled. click the link for the article. Harley Quinn #75 is the last issue in that series. I've heard a rumor that she may die at the hands of Punchline in this issue. I have no idea where this rumor comes from, but I have heard it from 2 different people, so who knows. Plus, Three Jokers is FINALLY coming out!!! If you haven't heard of it, here is the newsarama article about it. It has been rescheduled for an August release. Finally, there is a new TMNT comic on the way. I like how the cover shows all four weapons, but not the face or any giveaway colors.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
That Turtles story sounds really great. I'm excited for that one.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Terry88 yeah, I saw that in the previews and I'm definitely intrigued by it!!! Plus, I hope it is not "cartoonish" in art style. Going from the cover, which I've always been told to not judge a book by, I'm thinking this is going to be realistic art with a gritty storyline.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Punchline still a thing?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Harley dies? Eeek. I just assumed it was because they were getting ready to reboot the DCU again.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all serious and moody. This was a parody thing, remember?

Harley Quinn might die. Imagine. I've heard this story before. Die, resurrect or just reboot.

The ultimate Batman/Joker story. Hmmm. That's been done how many times?

I'm old and grouchy. I just can't bring myself to give a shit about comics published the last 25 years. Sorry. For those still reading and enjoying, I salute you.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@IronMan I can understand where you are coming from, but I gotta respond.

Yes, these general themes have been done before. However. I think a writer would be hard pressed to come up with a completely original storyline for characters as established as these are. For me, the story doesn't matter as much as how it is told. If the comic has a good artist and a good storyteller doing it, I'm entertained. That's all I really ask of a comic book, for it to be entertaining. Things don't always need to be new or original.

For example, I can see Tim Conway or Dick Van Dyke trip over a chair and I'll laugh. They have different ways of doing it, but both are funny. And sometimes, delivery is everything!!! I laugh my butt off to Richard Pryor, but not to Chris Rock. Their material is similar, but their style of storytelling is different. And of course there is music. "The Sound of Silence" was originally done by Simon and Garfunkel, but Disturbed also did a version. Same song, two different styles, and I find both very entertaining.

Getting back to comics, I enjoy the fresh take that new writers and artists bring to the table. I try to give something new a chance. Sometimes it flops, sometimes it's mediocre at best, but every once in a while, I find something I really enjoy!!!

It's that search for something new to entertain me that I enjoy. I'm not one to watch the same movie ten times over in a row. I'm not saying that is bad, it's just not me. I may watch a movie a second time shortly after the first just to make sure I saw everything, but then I move on to the next thing. I do have my favorite movies, but I can easily go a year or two between viewings.

Anyways, I've rambled on enough. I just felt I had to say something in response. I thought maybe I could add some personal insight into why I choose to still buy new comics, even when they repeat worn out themes.

To each their own, live and let live. Peace.
Post 7 IP   flag post
601353 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?