Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

How are the slabs made??11986

Collector TheJokersWild87 private msg quote post Address this user
Im a big fan of how things are made. Ive been collecting CBCS slabs since their inception so im curious about a few things.

1. What kind of material is the inner holder made from? I noticed that it is much clearer than cgc inner sleeves.

2. What is the idea of the shaped corners of the inner well? Is it for an archival reason? Is it because it looks cool? Easier to heat seal that way?

Man this lockdowns got me asking crazy questions.

Peace
Post 1 IP   flag post
Also, theres obviously different well thicknesses,right?
For instance, I'm assuming my gsx 1 and batman 251 have different size inner wells?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
This interests me also.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
You're asking for trade secrets, like the recipe for the secret sauce or Coca-Cola.

It's all top secret, confidential, hush-hush, and to reveal it would require double secret probation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Fair enough. Just curious is all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
At one time, there was talk of doing a "walk through" video of the grading process. I don't know if that is still a possibility or not.

As far as your technical questions, I don't know anything beyond that the cases are made from virgin petg. I believe they are (or used to be) made by injection molding. I know CBCS did a TON of testing before going with the design.

It is an interesting topic to me as well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
pretty sure its injection molds for the outer case. The inner well is PETG - Polyethylene terephthalate Glycol modified (aka. PET, PETE, PETG) Common uses are for storing food and beverages. It is often just referred to as polyester film, which covers a chemically similar range of plastic films. The Glycol additive helps PET remain more flexible and less likely to be become brittle over time. (from a previous post).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear on that (it was clear in my head D'OH). I was talking just about the outer case in my post, not the inner.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear on that (it was clear in my head D'OH). I was talking just about the outer case in my post, not the inner.
thanks for this. It's a fascinating subject. To me at least
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
pretty sure its injection molds for the outer case. The inner well is PETG - Polyethylene terephthalate Glycol modified (aka. PET, PETE, PETG) Common uses are for storing food and beverages. It is often just referred to as polyester film, which covers a chemically similar range of plastic films. The Glycol additive helps PET remain more flexible and less likely to be become brittle over time. (from a previous post).
thanks for your reply. I'm just fascinated by the shape of the corners of the inner well and its purpose.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo pretty interesting video.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Very informative
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Monomer of polyethylene is ethylene and monomer of polypropylene is propylene. ... Polypropylene used to make your traditional comic book bags is not as sturdy as polyethylene used in your grading slab wells. Polypropylene is stiffer and resistant to chemicals and organic solvents compared to polyethylene. Polypropylene is pure, non-stretching and generally more rigid than polyethylene. A non -issue since your books are slabbed. Great thread.
Post 14 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
With snips and snails and puppy dog tails, that's what slabs are made of.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Well, Mommy Slab meets Daddy Slab, and.................
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl_H
Well, Mommy Slab meets Daddy Slab, and.................

@Darryl_H That's just a story Steve told you when he hired you. You should go back and ask again now that you're old enough to know the truth.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I know the caramilk secret...does that count??
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
well a mommy piece of plastic and a daddy piece of plastic fall in love. then they hug real tight, 9 months later a slab is born
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Birds & the Bees; Insertion, hot goo shot into cavity, wait (relative), and you have a baby slab ready to be stuffed and sold.
Post 20 IP   flag post
598084 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?