Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking to collect some Zatanna books, so some Recommendation on key books or cool covers would be great!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The 2010 Zatana series has a run of Adam Hughes and Brian Bolland covers that are pretty cool

Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
DC Super Stars 11 is the first solo Zatanna book

Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Zatanna Seven Soldiers??

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
It all starts with hawkman 4...Her second appearance is not Atom 19 which is touted by most as being so.
You will want Detective comics 336, which has a witch that was apparently Zatanna in the story although she is never called by name
Atom 19....Justice league of America 51, Green Lantern 42, Flash 198, 208 and 209, and Detective comics 355 round out some of her earliest appearances.

She was the backup story in the 1972 Supergirl series for the first six issues, and the final issue she appeared also reprinted her origin.
She also did a short span in Adventure comics directly towards the end of the Supergirl part of the in the low 400's if I remember right
For cool covers...Supergirl 7 is a must have....

If you like TPB, you can buy her early appearances, during her search for her father in a book titled...."Zatanna's Search"
I enjoyed the TPB "Everyday Magic" as well

She appeared in a 1987 one shot...

I also suggest the series The seven soldiers of victory with Zatanna as a good read.
Justice league of America 87, 100,101, 102, all contain her appearances within stories.
I think she becomes a regular member of the team in Justice League of America 161....Swamp thing 49, and 50 have the early formation of what would come to be known as Dark Justice, and she appears there.

She stars in a book called
Dc Superstars #11
Superstars of Magic from 1977

As mentioned above the 2010 series with Hughes covers is awesome as well but can get spendy...it is also collected in this TPB if you prefer a cheaper path...

If you exhaust those suggestiongs let me know....I can offer some more.
Happy hunting and welcome to the chase of one of the most unique and amazing characters ever offered in this format!
Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town thanks! I have DC #11 and in grading currently, but the hunt for the rest is on!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post

I take my Zatanna collecting quite seriously
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord
@Darkseid_of_town thanks! I have DC #11 and in grading currently, but the hunt for the rest is on!!!

Glad to chip in....always glad to discuss Zatanna with other fans! Let me know if I can be of any help
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
There is also some Justice League Dark that has some great stories with her. Have all the New 52 but missing like 3 issue from the run.
Post 11 IP   flag post
She also pops in and out of the catwoman series with some regularity..
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
There's really no such thing as a bad Zatanna cover.

Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town, have you received your sketch covers from redandblack studios?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Ah....yes, they have come. A few weeks back I got a message from Heinz warning me about some Zatanna sketch covers on ebay...I went and had a look and managed to come away with the set....thanks Heinz

Blackandred Studios on Ebay, I bought the set he had at the time, but haven't checked him out lately
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I need to look into the one I purchased.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Mine have been here for a week or two at least so I would tend to agree
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have several great Zatanna books in my ebay store inclding the first appearance and some Adam Hughes covers.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@drchaos thanks, found it!
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I suppose the Preliminati Sketchbook from Ryan Sook with an original Zatanna sketch counts as a Zatanna cover??

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Lois Lane 132, also. First actual solo story (flash 198, you say? Flash is in the story)
Post 21 IP   flag post
I guess I am.confused but noone.said.flash 198 was a solo story that I saw
Post 22 IP   flag post
I am umsure what the criteria is to be considered a story also but the Lois Lane 132 Zatanna is considered a "short" if I remember correctly at something like four pages
Post 23 IP   flag post
Flash 198 is marked all over as “first zatanna solo story” But it’s not. I was just trying to stop an argument before it happened.
Post 24 IP   flag post
But i cannot find any mention of Z in Flash 208 & 209; do you know specifics about her appearance? There’re also some appearances in Detective in the 830s. Not sure how many issues but i love the cover to 833.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

I take my Zatanna collecting quite seriously

There is something about fishnet hosiery. Just sayin...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
Flash 198 is marked all over as “first zatanna solo story” But it’s not. I was just trying to stop an argument before it happened.
Ah gotcha, yeah you are on top of it!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
But i cannot find any mention of Z in Flash 208 & 209; do you know specifics about her appearance? There’re also some appearances in Detective in the 830s. Not sure how many issues but i love the cover to 833.
Volume 2, flash 2004..issues 208 and 209, rather than the silver age version...that makes it simpler to find.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Even the Dc superstars book is a reprint of the 3 part story from Adventure comics 414,415, and 416 called Zatanna the Magician
Post 29 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Here is an article about Justice League Dark #27 coming out in October and in the previews for August. In it, it appears that Zatanna may die. This might be one that Zatanna collectors will want on their pull lists.

Here are screenshots from DC Connect #3, note the words in the upper left corner.

Post 30 IP   flag post
601512 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?