CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 311972

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town

Your pieces are real, and not faked up junk so that is a plus. I think the price might have been steep given the example for sale on ebay, but then again, yours might have more shells , be more well prepared , and display better....eye of the beholder type thing I guess

It is too bad that some people can't realize that one person's "junk" is an 8 year old's treasure. Our son has one of these. He knows it isn't a real fossil. It cost $20.00. That didn't stop him from carting it to school for show and tell along with the split megladon teeth he has. Yes, I typed split. They are cheaper to purchase and if he drops it then it isn't a big deal. However, his friends get to see real fossils and a nice representation of a portion of mosasaurus' jaw in person. It allows for the children in his class to be stimulated and seek out information on creatures from the past. So, sometimes "junk" isn't junk.
Its also a shame that some people do not realize that encouraging the manufactured fossil trade does alot to mis-educate and deprive people of their hard earned funds. Honestly the pieces pictured could easily be made for far less than 20 dollars so he definitely got robbed there, and sadly you are condoning that fact. As for carting it to school for show and tell, nothing like also using a poor fake to mislead other children right? As for Megladon teeth, yes I know what a split tooth is...and? that has nothing to do with passing something off that is fake for something that is NOT...a split tooth is still an actual fossil. And, yes when he shows them split teeth they are seeing a real fossil as opposed to the fake mosasaurus jaw he is passing off as a real fossil.

If he were really showing them a mosasaurus jaw , he would not be misleading them about size..it would literally be too massive for him to carry. It would also not be so tightly pushed together, nor would it have fake tips on some of the teeth, as well as filled areas that were missing. The bone would be made of solid jawbone material rather than modern ground up cowbones and it would be fossilized.

If the children in his class need to be stimulated and want a reason to seek out information about creatures from the past, it requires little expense, time and effort to get them real ones to discuss and learn from rather than peddling off cheap fakes and supporting a trade industry that balks people out of their money believing they got a deal.It does require a little time and effort spent educating onself what is real and is not however. Junk IS junk, in the world of fossils and attempting to defend fraudulent fakes is rather disgusting by any measure. This is why the US keeps building more stringent and firm laws against such imports and why there is a posted advisory about purchasing any fossil representation from the Kem Kem basin. Also it might do well to realize that many of these fossils are being illegally mined and stolen from their native countries and exported without legal permits and in violation of the laws of said nation...so nothing like endorsing theft, destruction of national treasures and basic looting.
Post 976 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your pieces are real, and not faked up junk so that is a plus. I think the price might have been steep given the example for sale on ebay, but then again, yours might have more shells , be more well prepared , and display better....eye of the beholder type thing I guess

It is too bad that some people can't realize that one person's "junk" is an 8 year old's treasure. Our son has one of these. He knows it isn't a real fossil. It cost $20.00. That didn't stop him from carting it to school for show and tell along with the split megladon teeth he has. Yes, I typed split. They are cheaper to purchase and if he drops it then it isn't a big deal. However, his friends get to see real fossils and a nice representation of a portion of mosasaurus' jaw in person. It allows for the children in his class to be stimulated and seek out information on creatures from the past. So, sometimes "junk" isn't junk.

Its also a shame that some people do not realize that encouraging the manufactured fossil trade does alot to mis-educate and deprive people of their hard earned funds. Honestly the pieces pictured could easily be made for far less than 20 dollars so he definitely got robbed there, and sadly you are condoning that fact. As for carting it to school for show and tell, nothing like also using a poor fake to mislead other children right? As for Megladon teeth, yes I know what a split tooth is...and? that has nothing to do with passing something off that is fake for something that is NOT...a split tooth is still an actual fossil. And, yes when he shows them split teeth they are seeing a real fossil as opposed to the fake mosasaurus jaw he is passing off as a real fossil.

If he were really showing them a mosasaurus jaw , he would not be misleading them about size..it would literally be too massive for him to carry. It would also not be so tightly pushed together, nor would it have fake tips on some of the teeth, as well as filled areas that were missing. The bone would be made of solid jawbone material rather than modern ground up cowbones and it would be fossilized.

If the children in his class need to be stimulated and want a reason to seek out information about creatures from the past, it requires little expense, time and effort to get them real ones to discuss and learn from rather than peddling off cheap fakes and supporting a trade industry that balks people out of their money believing they got a deal.It does require a little time and effort spent education onself what is real and is not however. Junk IS junk, in the world of fossils and attempting to defend fraudulent fakes is rather disgusting by any measure. This is why the US keeps building more stringent and firm laws against such imports and why there is a posted advisory about purchasing any fossil representation from the Kem Kem basin. Also it might do well to realize that many of these fossils are being illegally mined and stolen from their native countries and exported without legal permits and in violation of the laws of said nation...so nothing like endorsing theft, destruction of national treasures and basic looting.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.
Post 977 IP   flag post
Nope, noone mentioned petrified wood, but I can teach you about that as well if you like. Your safest bet there is Palmwood, native to the country, found all over the place, and is very beautiful as a fossil.
You could also look for cycad in the western states, that were part of the continental mass within the Morrison formation during the Jurassic...it preserves gorgeously as well. have a great day and enjoy the football !
Post 978 IP   flag post
Yet the NPS provides instructions on how to produce your own "new fossils" for teachers and a lesson plan.
Post 979 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I took delivery of my dream car a couple days ago. I let go of a lot of really good books, and will need to sell more soon, but it was worth it. Midlife crisis complete!

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10

Congrats, and welcome to the Brotherhood of Muscle.
Post 980 IP   flag post

Quote:
Yet the NPS provides instructions on how to produce your own "new fossils" for teachers and a lesson plan.
I would venture to say that a lesson plan in which teachers explain the replica in context fully and clearly state they created it is a distinctly different context than dragging street vendor fake fossils to show and tell and misleading classmates.

Generally the NPS recommends only making trace fossil replicas, with the exception of the Triassic replica digging site. Even then they clearly state and identify the exercise as using replicas, and it is more centered around the science involved...plotting, graphing, removal and excavation techniques.

trace fossil NPS seen here.
https://www.nps.gov/teachers/classrooms/making-a-trace-fossil.htm

simulated fossil dig, NPS seen here.
https://www.nps.gov/teachers/classrooms/simulated-fossil-dig.htm

I think people would tend to agree the intent with these is to educate and provide full knowledge of the process etc. Anything else?
Post 981 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think people would tend to agree the intent with these is to educate and provide full knowledge of the process etc. Anything else?

Sure, I guess you either couldn't find or didn't want to provide this link:

Make Your Own Fossils

Note what you will need - leaves, sticks, etc. you want to make fossils of. Also, note the last step, #8 (optional): If you want, you can use brown or tan paint to color the imprints of your fossils to look like carbon left behind by the leaves. Yep, the NPS is instructing 3rd graders how to make fossils.

I find it very hilarious that the NPS has a lesson on how to make "new fossils" and aren't concerned with children doing it or looking at them while you are outraged about it. My child's class has a child in it whose father is an investigator for the US Forest Service and another one who is member of the state Conservation Department. Both of them positively commented at a get together about my son's items. I guess we will just say that your opinion is very different than their's, his teacher;s, and our family's. We all get it. We want children to be excited about the planet, respect it, find adventure in it, and excited to explore it

Oh, and since I'm writing about the show and tell presentation my kid did. I think you're projecting something on my child that a person with lesser character might do in a similar siutation. You see, he explained to the class that the mosasaurus jaw wasn't real. He's been taught that lying is a sin. While he isn't perfect, none of us are, his moral compass works just fine.

Man, am I glad I didn't share that he took in a fake raptor claw too.
Post 982 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
. You see, he explained to the class that the mosasaurus jaw wasn't real. He's been taught that lying is a sin. While he isn't perfect, none of us are, his moral compass works just fine.

lol, My kid told me that he will purposely mispronounce words just to get his sister to argue with him. What a jerk. I can't even imagine what he would do with a fake Mosasaurus jaw.
Post 983 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
We only have whole mosasaurs around my house.

Post 984 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Sure, I guess you either couldn't find or didn't want to provide this link:

Make Your Own Fossils

Note what you will need - leaves, sticks, etc. you want to make fossils of. Also, note the last step, #8 (optional): If you want, you can use brown or tan paint to color the imprints of your fossils to look like carbon left behind by the leaves. Yep, the NPS is instructing 3rd graders how to make fossils.

I find it very hilarious that the NPS has a lesson on how to make "new fossils" and aren't concerned with children doing it or looking at them while you are outraged about it. My child's class has a child in it whose father is an investigator for the US Forest Service and another one who is member of the state Conservation Department. Both of them positively commented at a get together about my son's items. I guess we will just say that your opinion is very different than their's, his teacher;s, and our family's. We all get it. We want children to be excited about the planet, respect it, find adventure in it, and excited to explore it

Oh, and since I'm writing about the show and tell presentation my kid did. I think you're projecting something on my child that a person with lesser character might do in a similar siutation. You see, he explained to the class that the mosasaurus jaw wasn't real. He's been taught that lying is a sin. While he isn't perfect, none of us are, his moral compass works just fine.

Man, am I glad I didn't share that he took in a fake raptor claw too.
Lol this again? So lets work a little on basic terminology....leaves and sticks are trace fossils, not fossils of entire sections of an animal..understand? An educational department would NOT encourage nor teach children to manufacture fake bones or skeletons or in your case jaws...which is what you are attempting to defend here. They are teaching them how to mold leaves and sticks...get it? Trace fossils, just as first said.
As for your comments about family members and what not encouraging him for his items..without having seen the items I cannot comment, but yes encouraging anyone to take much stock or faith in or present fossils that are misleading, likely stolen and definitely not accurate is bad educational grounds period. I dont care who it is or how many of your family do it. I can sit here all day flashing my credentials and blah blah how many kids a year our organization teaches about rocks and fossils and how many talks a year I do at schools, and blah blah, but it changes nothing. End of the day a fake fossil misrepresents both the taphonic procsess involved, the organism supposedly preserved and the time concept involved.

I also projected nothing on your kid. I have never met him and I do not intend to, but I think its awesome he is interested in fossils and is studying them. I just find the fault more with the misguided attempts to encourage him using likely stolen fossils with questionable and unlikely appearance that are man made. As for the "fake " raptor claw does it incorporate both real fossil stolen from its origin source along with alternate materials man made? Or is it a complete REPLICA (understand that word please) Studying a replica is fine, I have many (CASTS) again make note of that word. A replica is an artificial represenatation of an item, CAST from the original to provide..why yes, FIDELITY to the source fossil...it isnt just glued and tossed together in someones back room out of glue and ground up cattle bones. Understand?
Also nice try attempting to undermine my supposed morality and character because I questioned this pseudo fossil. I do this for an organization that is nation wide in scope, and help them operate shows and conferences myself.
Post 985 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
We only have whole mosasaurs around my house.

that is an awesome replica actually, can you verify the molding company or producer?

Here are some from my collection to share...the first signed figure is autographed by Michael Everhart, probably one of the most knowledgeable experts on Mosaurids within the United states...he consulted for that particular figure .The others are all different models and figures I own..the last one is not a mosaurus but its a sister clade, An Elasmosarus so I figured I would share it too. Thanks for sharing your figure Dave!
Post 986 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh Awesome car hope you get lots of good years out of it. Last year I bought a pristine 2007 Acura TL Type S not my dream car but one I have been looking to get for a while. Anyway when my son got back from deployment he liked it so much he talked me into trading it to him for his 2005 TL and cash. I’ve been on the hunt for a 2008 TL Type S for a while now seems pristine examples are getting harder to come by.
Post 987 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@Joosh Awesome car hope you get lots of good years out of it. Last year I bought a pristine 2007 Acura TL Type S not my dream car but one I have been looking to get for a while

@Murmonster I had a 2006 (I think) TL for a few years. Silver with Black interior, I enjoyed driving it every time and it had a nice sound system for the times. Someone said about it "it's one of those rare car bodies that looks good from every angle"...and that always stuck with me. I still have a 2005 Land Cruiser that I think fits that same description.
Post 988 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Totally agree I think the 04-08 TL’s have a fantastic look when they added the Type S model for 07 & 08 that to me was a great car even 13 years later. Like I said I now hope to find a pristine low mileage 08 but it’s been tough all I see are ones that have been driven hard with high mileage. Just checked out the 05 Land Cruiser looks good.
Post 989 IP   flag post
My wife’s parents have a TL type S that I always drive when visiting them (in S Cali). Love that car - for a front wheel drive car it has some nice pep (maybe 260 hp). Think theirs is a 2002 or 2003 (second gen?)

Drove newer generations too and they were solid, fast cars.

I have a Toyota FJ as a go-everywhere-mobile. It has become a minor classic now too. Was looking to get a LC as they too are classics and bulletproof.

Earlier Vipers were (are) cars not to be messed with. Here is a photo of one of mine, though from existing “camera roll” and so can’t post next to the mosasaurus for scale.

Post 990 IP   flag post
Sorry - that is one of my son’s Vipers. Just realized I was claiming ownership - not cool.

I -did- buy it but it is “titled” in his name. He has a second blue/white GTS and a purple 2016. He has quite the car collection, actually.
Post 991 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
I -did- buy it but it is “titled” in his name. He has a second blue/white GTS and a purple 2016. He has quite the car collection, actually.

My son owned a pretty significant fleet of Monster Trucks but he donated them to charity...because he needed the write-off for taxes.
Post 992 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave The first Viper I ever saw outside of a magazine was probably in 1992 the license plate read BITTEN thought that was so cool. Not trying to divert this thread as I’m not showing anything cool but if I ever get my attainable dream car a Mustang Cobra GT 500 convertible I’ll post a pic.
Post 993 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
@Davethebrave The first Viper I ever saw outside of a magazine was probably in 1992 the license plate read BITTEN thought that was so cool. Not trying to divert this thread as I’m not showing anything cool but if I ever get my attainable dream car a Mustang Cobra GT 500 convertible I’ll post a pic.

That would be its “first appearance” model year in 1992. Asking prices on ‘92 cars have been pretty darn high. They didn’t make many that first year.

While my son has a very large collection of model cars (hot wheels and matchbox, mostly) I have a few as well. He isn’t allowed to play with these but he enjoys it when I take them down and let him have a closer look.

So far he hasn’t broken any!

Plus some other random car stuff. The book is enormous and a gift from my wife. Come to think of it, so was the disc brake book-end, the mug and the stick shift stopper!

She knows me well!

Post 994 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

Maybe you should write the NPS and rage at how they used the term “fossil” on the link I provided. Maybe they will change the way they used it on their website and issue an apology to you.

Noting this interaction, I can safely write that I’m glad my son’s interest in dinosaurs is fading.
Post 995 IP   flag post

Albertosaurus rib section, excavated from a monospecific bone bed, in the bottom of a creek in ALberta , Canada. The site produced the partial remains of five Albertosaurus'

This gorgeous specimen is a partial Saccral from an Allosaurus excavated from the side of a creek bank in Utah in the early nineties. The preservation was stunning, a deep black for most of the bones. The ends were sliced and polished to make them more appealing.

This next piece is a trace fossil , a coprolite that has been sliced and polished.

Multiple dinosaur eggs from China...at least six species represented.

An oviraptor and a Cittipatti egg side by side , the longer egg being from a Citipatti, and the shorter egg is a museum grade specimen with 97 percent of the shell intact, virtually no compression and gorgeous consistent color throughout.

A football size Hadrosaurid egg! This is a hatched egg, with the hatching window obscured by the matrix that forms the base.

This amazing specimen is a sauropod egg, and is unhatched. These eggs are rather rare and seldom found this inflated.

This massive fellow has been identified as the final Vertebrae in the saccrum of a semi adult diplodocoid, by Dr. Ken Carpenter, now retired. The wheel shaped vert is the size of a small car wheel and weighs in at 26 pounds.

This is a 55 pound shank section from a massive long bone or limb from a sauropod dinosaur.

This piece is a 57 pound ball section from the end of a large sauropod femur.

These next two images are of a partil limb bone from an older sauropod dinosaur infilled with alot of calcium. Gorgeous colors in the marrow pocket.

Smaller partial allosaurus vert infilled with quartz...specimens like this, with such solid preservation and exquisite quartz infill can bring hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

These next two images are a cross section of a sauropod limb bone, that had lain in water and the interior rotted, allowing the bone marrow to collapse in a tangle at the bottom, after which the cavity infilled with quartz, barite blades, and finally agate fortifications.

The following two images are from a sauropod cervical or neck section, the large flat section is an actual vert and the wing shapes are the processes that would be sandwiched between each disk. Another hefty piece at almost 40 pounds.
Small specimen of bone, riddled with agate fortifications.

hadrosaur spit tooth and a juvenile hadrosaur scapula.

Dinosaur bone cabs, slabs and polished pieces.

Spiderweb transparent dinosaur bone slice....

A few smaller verts from two seperate species....

Famous nationally as one of the larger self made collections of spheres made from dinosaur bone....

Dinosaur eggshell collection.

And finally, my roomate, best friend and quiet companion over the years Nim!

The final picture was Nim as he was when purchased...head was still filled with matrix, bones were laid out on the bottom of a kids swimming pool, unassembled and unmounted. The entire skeleton was cleaned, soaked with solidifer, and mounted in nine seperate sections. Ribs were the only pieces that are not original material, and are matrix sculpts, as the actual ribs are far to delicate and small to mount. His original ribs arrived in small bag

I eventually restored them and placed then in a riker mount

Nim is a psittacosaurus meileyingensis, from eastern China. He is 26 inches long and a sub adult. He stands 11 inches high at the hips and has 65 verts in his back. His mouth is filled with small teeth for shredding plants, nuts and berries.

The skeleton is all original material, except the mounted ribs. It is around 120-90 million years old. If had lived to be an adult he would have maxxed at around six feet long. Psittacosaurus means parrot beak lizard, hence the odd frill shape and beak with attached rostral horns. You can no longer purchase these dinosaurs on the market, as of roughly 2009. To suggest he is priceless would be an understatement.
Post 996 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Well, this will be my last miniature bust for a while. I bought the 3D print (plastic) off of Etsy and painted it myself. My customizing skills need improvement, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Post 997 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Well, this will be my last miniature bust for a while. I bought the 3D print (plastic) off of Etsy and painted it myself. My customizing skills need improvement, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Wow!! Great job!!
Post 998 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC thanks!!
Post 999 IP   flag post
601537 999 24