Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 311972

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Mixed bag there really. Fossil fish missing the head are rather common and the one you have does not appear to be a rarer variety or gar , eel or ray so the fossil might be a 5-10 dollar piece, which is why I suggested jazzing it up a touch.

The Orthoceras bookends are rather common as well. By example here is a set for sale on ebay currently for compare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351967031995?hash=item51f2deb2bb:g:BJMAAOSw4DJYil10

The "work" polishing them is a mis-statement. It is more the amount of work that went into abrading the matrix around them down to reveal them and make them stand out, as well as clean imbedded sediment from them as well. Once that is done the polishing itself can be done rather simply with a diamond sintered contour polisher and depending the hardness can go rather quickly. It is also not a given the were sawed shaped nor polished in Morocco, and could have been shipped here as rough, thus avoiding custom expense and then cut and ground here to sell for a much higher price than just mineral raw material.
To be fair it happens both ways for sure, with many of those type things imported finished and much more costly. Meantime the importation of Moroccan fossils has become as pronounced as importing Chinese fossils was in 90's , and is rife with fakes and expensive pseudo fossils. The sale of Mosasaurus "jaws' with composited teeth goes on constantly......and is generally a chunk of glue, sandstone, and pieces and odds and ends of bones all glued into a shape that resembles the desired fossil.

Your pieces are real, and not faked up junk so that is a plus. I think the price might have been steep given the example for sale on ebay, but then again, yours might have more shells , be more well prepared , and display better....eye of the beholder type thing I guess

The set on ebay has a make offer feature for it, suggesting a solid baseline price might be lower than the ask.When I as at Disneyworld, I saw a larger slab like this priced at 1200 dollars ...waiting to catch some unwary tourist
Post 951 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
I've recently moved and got all our frames and statues set up. I don't have any fancy stands for any of them but thought I'd share. I love production art for anime and comic books as you can see.

Grimlok, Hobgoblin, & Doomsday

All Dogs go to Heaven

Thanos

Galactus

Chicken Boo

Mike Manley art (Darkhawk & Sleepwalker)

Wakfu

Beauty & the Beast

How to Train your Dragon

Thanos & Spawn

Green Goblin Production art

Final Fantasy VI shadowbox

Warlock & the Infinity Watch production art
Post 952 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
My latest painted miniature. I modified it a bit to make it a Red Sonja piece. I didn't finish the skull base because she is going to be a part of a diorama I am making. She will be fighting a Japanese Oni in a partially snowy field.

Here is the picture that led me to buy it.

A work in progress picture.

And the finished product ...

Post 953 IP   flag post
If you clear coat these painting projects, with a flat spray it will remove the glossy shiny look that on things like human figures does not really belong. It will make them look more flat and realistic
Post 954 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
If you clear coat these painting projects, with a flat spray it will remove the glossy shiny look that on things like human figures does not really belong. It will make them look more flat and realistic

Oh, I know. There is about three coats of high gloss on Red Sonja in that picture, none on the skull. I'm not sure what I want the end product to look like yet. I do have a satin clearcoat that I might use. These are all hand painted, not sprayed, due to my situation dictating that. I'm learning more and more as I do each one. It definitely is keeping me occupied!!
Post 955 IP   flag post

I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town I appreciate your insight and knowledge. Helped tremendously
Post 956 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone know anything about these?

Post 957 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user

Birthday gift from my wife and daughter. Sorry for the glare.
Post 958 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
One of my pen and ink compositions with a little digital chroma retouch...

Post 959 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@Darkseid_of_town I appreciate your insight and knowledge. Helped tremendously
Always glad to help when I can, surprised you even remember I do fossils and such as well. In any event you now had a serious set of bookends!
Post 960 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
The GF's idea. I like it since I am a big Star Wars geek.

Post 961 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@MutantMania

I think the Building Blocks item has something to do with the Boy Scouts.

What comes after it I am sure are:
- Combat Infantryman Badge - first award
- Colonel Insignia
- Paratrooper Jump Wings
- Army Air Assault Badge
Post 962 IP   flag post
I have a friend who legally changed her name to Luna Snow a few years ago. At the time, she did not know of the Marvel comic book character Luna Snow. You can about imagine her surprise when I gave her a copy of the "Luna Snow" one shot!!! I FINALLY got a picture of her holding the comic!!! I don't know too many people who have the same name as a comic book character, so I find it pretty cool to have this!!

BTW, she is a Golden Gloves boxer and a conditioning coach. So I made sure she was cool with me sharing this before posting!! 😁😁😁

Post 963 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhuman
The GF's idea. I like it since I am a big Star Wars geek.

OK, that's good for a laugh. I would crack up if I went into a home and that was on the wall. Even just the Han Solo picture.
Post 964 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I won this wonderful basket at work for a charity that I supported. It also came with a peppermint soap and peppermint tea. It smelt so good.
Post 965 IP   flag post
A few new mail calls, as I continue hitting up the girls for signed things...

First image all done by Sydney Durso, and the 2nd from Brooke wicker, a DCC I have stayed in touch with the last 30 years.

Brooke is the historian for the group and she was also the one who put together their display for the Smithsonian
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/brooke-wicker-alexander-s-spirit-of-dcc-shines-in-presentation-to-the-smi-456141
Post 966 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
This is cool! Vintage Cap VHS still sealed and in mint condition.

Post 967 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I took delivery of my dream car a couple days ago. I let go of a lot of really good books, and will need to sell more soon, but it was worth it. Midlife crisis complete!

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10

Post 968 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
This is cool! Vintage Cap VHS still sealed and in mint condition.

I remember watching this when it came out and being delighted just to have see a Cap film regardless of quality. lol!
Post 969 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I took delivery of my dream car a couple days ago. I let go of a lot of really good books, and will need to sell more soon, but it was worth it. Midlife crisis complete!

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10

Congrats! We live in an area where a convertible is unrealistic. One day after a colonoscopy I stopped by a dealer with my son to test drive a removable hard top Viper, I intended to buy it that day. My head rested against the roof (I am 6-2). I was so disappointed, it is a very fun car. Didn’t tell the dealer about the colonoscopy of course.
Post 970 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh congrats and welcome to the Viper club ;-)

@doog As for head clearance… I am 6’3” … I’ve sat in a lot of sports cars and Vipers are generally pretty good. Especially the early double-bubble GTS coupes.

On the other hand, Italian sports cars up through the mid ‘00s… good luck. Have to be a contortionist or be able to shell out big $$ for “lowered rail” custom seats like what NBA players do…

Comic books are a more accommodating hobby.
Post 971 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Quote:

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10

Congrats! We live in an area where a convertible is unrealistic. One day after a colonoscopy I stopped by a dealer with my son to test drive a removable hard top Viper, I intended to buy it that day. My head rested against the roof (I am 6-2). I was so disappointed, it is a very fun car. Didn’t tell the dealer about the colonoscopy of course.
hell ya! I’ll piss on “modern” “muscle” all day with the exception of the Viper: has anyone yet made a transmission that can handle a fully modified Viper engine?🤣

Im 6’0 210; I manage to fit comfortably in a daily BRZ; it’s drivable with the car seats. The car seats fit so the wife said ok; too bad the passenger seat can’t slide back with the infant seat behind it😂

Vipers on the list #1 is Roadrunner👍🏻
Post 972 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh that Viper makes me miss my testosterone. Almost as much as the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader pics posted by @Darkseid_of_town.
Post 973 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

I won this wonderful basket at work for a charity that I supported. It also came with a peppermint soap and peppermint tea. It smelt so good.

A small gift I received several years ago from Vernon Jordan who unfortunately passed away earlier this year:

Post 974 IP   flag post
Quote:

Your pieces are real, and not faked up junk so that is a plus. I think the price might have been steep given the example for sale on ebay, but then again, yours might have more shells , be more well prepared , and display better....eye of the beholder type thing I guess

It is too bad that some people can't realize that one person's "junk" is an 8 year old's treasure. Our son has one of these. He knows it isn't a real fossil. It cost $20.00. That didn't stop him from carting it to school for show and tell along with the split megladon teeth he has. Yes, I typed split. They are cheaper to purchase and if he drops it then it isn't a big deal. However, his friends get to see real fossils and a nice representation of a portion of mosasaurus' jaw in person. It allows for the children in his class to be stimulated and seek out information on creatures from the past. So, sometimes "junk" isn't junk.
Post 975 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

It is too bad that some people can't realize that one person's "junk" is an 8 year old's treasure. Our son has one of these. He knows it isn't a real fossil. It cost $20.00. That didn't stop him from carting it to school for show and tell along with the split megladon teeth he has. Yes, I typed split. They are cheaper to purchase and if he drops it then it isn't a big deal. However, his friends get to see real fossils and a nice representation of a portion of mosasaurus' jaw in person. It allows for the children in his class to be stimulated and seek out information on creatures from the past. So, sometimes "junk" isn't junk.
Its also a shame that some people do not realize that encouraging the manufactured fossil trade does alot to mis-educate and deprive people of their hard earned funds. Honestly the pieces pictured could easily be made for far less than 20 dollars so he definitely got robbed there, and sadly you are condoning that fact. As for carting it to school for show and tell, nothing like also using a poor fake to mislead other children right? As for Megladon teeth, yes I know what a split tooth is...and? that has nothing to do with passing something off that is fake for something that is NOT...a split tooth is still an actual fossil. And, yes when he shows them split teeth they are seeing a real fossil as opposed to the fake mosasaurus jaw he is passing off as a real fossil.

If he were really showing them a mosasaurus jaw , he would not be misleading them about size..it would literally be too massive for him to carry. It would also not be so tightly pushed together, nor would it have fake tips on some of the teeth, as well as filled areas that were missing. The bone would be made of solid jawbone material rather than modern ground up cowbones and it would be fossilized.

If the children in his class need to be stimulated and want a reason to seek out information about creatures from the past, it requires little expense, time and effort to get them real ones to discuss and learn from rather than peddling off cheap fakes and supporting a trade industry that balks people out of their money believing they got a deal.It does require a little time and effort spent educating onself what is real and is not however. Junk IS junk, in the world of fossils and attempting to defend fraudulent fakes is rather disgusting by any measure. This is why the US keeps building more stringent and firm laws against such imports and why there is a posted advisory about purchasing any fossil representation from the Kem Kem basin. Also it might do well to realize that many of these fossils are being illegally mined and stolen from their native countries and exported without legal permits and in violation of the laws of said nation...so nothing like endorsing theft, destruction of national treasures and basic looting.
Post 976 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

Its also a shame that some people do not realize that encouraging the manufactured fossil trade does alot to mis-educate and deprive people of their hard earned funds. Honestly the pieces pictured could easily be made for far less than 20 dollars so he definitely got robbed there, and sadly you are condoning that fact. As for carting it to school for show and tell, nothing like also using a poor fake to mislead other children right? As for Megladon teeth, yes I know what a split tooth is...and? that has nothing to do with passing something off that is fake for something that is NOT...a split tooth is still an actual fossil. And, yes when he shows them split teeth they are seeing a real fossil as opposed to the fake mosasaurus jaw he is passing off as a real fossil.

If he were really showing them a mosasaurus jaw , he would not be misleading them about size..it would literally be too massive for him to carry. It would also not be so tightly pushed together, nor would it have fake tips on some of the teeth, as well as filled areas that were missing. The bone would be made of solid jawbone material rather than modern ground up cowbones and it would be fossilized.

If the children in his class need to be stimulated and want a reason to seek out information about creatures from the past, it requires little expense, time and effort to get them real ones to discuss and learn from rather than peddling off cheap fakes and supporting a trade industry that balks people out of their money believing they got a deal.It does require a little time and effort spent education onself what is real and is not however. Junk IS junk, in the world of fossils and attempting to defend fraudulent fakes is rather disgusting by any measure. This is why the US keeps building more stringent and firm laws against such imports and why there is a posted advisory about purchasing any fossil representation from the Kem Kem basin. Also it might do well to realize that many of these fossils are being illegally mined and stolen from their native countries and exported without legal permits and in violation of the laws of said nation...so nothing like endorsing theft, destruction of national treasures and basic looting.

Talk about missing the forest for the trees.
Post 977 IP   flag post
Nope, noone mentioned petrified wood, but I can teach you about that as well if you like. Your safest bet there is Palmwood, native to the country, found all over the place, and is very beautiful as a fossil.
You could also look for cycad in the western states, that were part of the continental mass within the Morrison formation during the Jurassic...it preserves gorgeously as well. have a great day and enjoy the football !
Post 978 IP   flag post
Yet the NPS provides instructions on how to produce your own "new fossils" for teachers and a lesson plan.
Post 979 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10

Congrats, and welcome to the Brotherhood of Muscle.
Post 980 IP   flag post
600891 999 30