Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Just show something cool: Part 311972

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
You may or may not find this cool, but I do. On etsy, you can get 3D printed miniatures of a lot of things!! This is a Pennywise bust that was made of plastic. I primed it, painted it and sealed it. It's actually much better in person!! You cannot really see the colors in the collar in the pictures.

I adjusted the darkness and exposure on this one to better show the colors.

Post 926 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

so I'm basically a hoarder. I picked this up maybe 15-20 years ago. Just thought it was cool because it is old. Had this brilliant idea for using it to cut cardboard to protect books when I ship them out. Was using a utility knife and hated every minute doing it. Takes me about 15 seconds to cut a perfect sized cardboard. If you ship out a lot of books, I would suggest finding one, works perfect
Post 927 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 I will never buy high grade books from you😝
Post 928 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Batman66 - It all starts with the innocent cutting of cardboard, then it mutates into a little trim here and there on a comic. Beware the power of the cutting board! lol

(I see where you were going @HulkSmash).
Post 929 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash @esaravo πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Post 930 IP   flag post

Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
I always loved the comic character games. Here's the "board" from "Blondie Goes to Leisureland 1935".

Post 931 IP   flag post
So ... here is the bust that got me interested in painting them. The first one was glued together by the seller and broke in half during shipping. He said I should keep that one and use it as paint practice. He then printed up a new one, left it in three pieces and sent it to me. This is made of resin. But by the time that was done, the plastic Pennywise had shown up and I had started on it. Otherwise, this would have been the first one painted. I hope you all like it!!

Post 932 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O That looks great! Your Pennywise too! My hands aren't steady enough to do that. They look great. 3D printing is very cool. If I had one I'd be printing heroes and villains left and right. 🍻
Post 933 IP   flag post
@GAC thanks! Yeah, if I had a 3D printer, I'd be printing all kinds of stuff!!! On etsy, there is a 3D printed Han Solo DL-44 blaster that comes printed in the correct colors so you don't even need to paint it!!! One of these days, it'll make it to the top of my want list. Right now, I'm enjoying painting the busts. Between horror and comics, I'll be kept busy for a while!!!
Post 934 IP   flag post
Oh, and my hands are shaky. But I find that if I paint in the morning or early afternoon, I can concentrate enough to do a half ass decent job of it.
Post 935 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Mouser’s with 3 hours left. We started them over on a bigger, higher res printer this afternoon. There should be less struts and supports to clean off from that print as well.

Post 936 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
You may or may not find this cool, but I do. On etsy, you can get 3D printed miniatures of a lot of things!! This is a Pennywise bust that was made of plastic. I primed it, painted it and sealed it. It's actually much better in person!! You cannot really see the colors in the collar in the pictures. @Jesse_O - not cool, creepy 🀑

I adjusted the darkness and exposure on this one to better show the colors.

@Jesse_O
Post 937 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I was proud of my son who did his first blower door test on our home today. It is performed as part of an energy audit on a home. He is currently taking an energy audit class that I used to teach for 10 years. He took all the initiative to borrow it from the new instructor and bring it home and do it.
Post 938 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Jesse, are you familiar with www.shapeways.com ? Thousands of things you can order printed and choose the material and color, or if you know how to digitaly sculpt you can submit your pieces and people can order them and make you some money
Post 939 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town thanks for the info!! I'll check them out. As for digitally sculpting, I wouldn't even know where to begin. LOL

I'm working on a Regan from "The Exorcist" right now. I think I've finally found an affordable activity that I enjoy.
Post 940 IP   flag post

find the craziest things at yard sales. Found these petrified fossils today. The shell fossil was polished to show the details and the beauty of fossils. Hoping @Darkseid_of_town can enlighten or elaborate
Post 941 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Coworker does eBay but gave me some NES games that he picked up.

Post 942 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley That's a pretty great set of NES games. Hours upon hours of fun there,I still play a game of tecmo bowl every once in a while to this day.
Post 943 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

find the craziest things at yard sales. Found these petrified fossils today. The shell fossil was polished to show the details and the beauty of fossils. Hoping @Darkseid_of_town can enlighten or elaborate

If you like, I can speak to them a little bit. The bookends are from Morocco, and are a tourist trade there....they derive from an area called the Kem Kem basin. The long slender guys are called Orthoceras, a primitive form of nautiloid cephalopod.I have seen entire bathtubs, kitchen counters and even floors made of the material, as well as dishes and even ashtrays, clocks and chess sets. The deep black matrix and chalkish white preservasion are common to the fossils . Morocco does a stiff tourist trade selling the stuff. If I am understanding the other image correctly it appears to be the lower half of a fossil fish.Without anything to judge the scale or size of the fish, it is tough to say too much. I can offer if it were mine I would buy some light shade of stain and using a small brush I would paint the fish itself to make it stand out from the slab .Rather tough to say if there are any other fossils hiding in the rest of the slab ...but a simple process for me would be coat the fish itself. Buy some muriatic acid and dilute to roughly 12 parts to one, and lightly spray the area that is not fish. Be careful, and do this outside, the acid will sizzle and smoke when it hits the surface. Let it do its magic, then lightly spray it off using cold water..and a small soft brush. Allow the piece to dry and examine the surface for telltale signs of another fish or fossil. If one emerges coat it with the varnish as well and continue dissolving the slab around the fossils until you expose what you wish to see. It is a slow and thankless process...spraying, letting sit, washing off, respraying etc. I have a slab of ocean floor on my front porch I have been slowly exposing for a year...work in progress. Do not use the acidic at a lower dilution rate to hurry the effect as it will tend to also remove the surface of the fossils at high enough strength

Another possible step might be to take the piece to a local gem and mineral group and slip someone a ten spot to run it through their rock saw and remove the area that is not fish....but leaving a good area of matrix around it to display....just cut away a section of the excess altogether to make the remaining piece appear more well centered and so forth

The bookends are rather dirty and would clean up quite a bit incidentally, making them much more shiny and nice. Were they mine, it would be a simple thing to trace around the bottom and glue some velvet to the underside so they do not scrach furniture nor shelving, then employ them as they were intended(hint use warm water dish detergent and sponge, nothing that scratches. You do not want to mess up the polished surface)

Thats all I got, hope it helps. Some neat fossils!
Post 944 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user
Closeup of the new spidey poster for no way home, right below his feet, do you see the metallic face that I see?

Post 945 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Some cool sealed VHS tapes.

Post 946 IP   flag post
Say what you want about Chuck from Mile High Comics, but he is definitely not boring!!! If nothing else, watch the first five minutes or so to find out why his prices are so high. #MileHighComics

Post 947 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotKeyComics
Closeup of the new spidey poster for no way home, right below his feet, do you see the metallic face that I see?

What am I looking at here? At first I thought it was a crab....I had to read your post to know that it was Spidey. Looking forward to the movie.
Post 948 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town I figured you would be the one to know. Is there any value, I paid 120 for both pieces. Was I taken?
Post 949 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@Darkseid_of_town I figured you would be the one to know. Is there any value, I paid 120 for both pieces. Was I taken?

When you consider the work that went into polishing them and shipping them undamaged, it seems impossible that $120 was too much. When I see the polished book-end piece I think if the rag-tag fleet that travels behind the Battlestar Galactica.
Post 950 IP   flag post
Mixed bag there really. Fossil fish missing the head are rather common and the one you have does not appear to be a rarer variety or gar , eel or ray so the fossil might be a 5-10 dollar piece, which is why I suggested jazzing it up a touch.

The Orthoceras bookends are rather common as well. By example here is a set for sale on ebay currently for compare.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351967031995?hash=item51f2deb2bb:g:BJMAAOSw4DJYil10

The "work" polishing them is a mis-statement. It is more the amount of work that went into abrading the matrix around them down to reveal them and make them stand out, as well as clean imbedded sediment from them as well. Once that is done the polishing itself can be done rather simply with a diamond sintered contour polisher and depending the hardness can go rather quickly. It is also not a given the were sawed shaped nor polished in Morocco, and could have been shipped here as rough, thus avoiding custom expense and then cut and ground here to sell for a much higher price than just mineral raw material.
To be fair it happens both ways for sure, with many of those type things imported finished and much more costly. Meantime the importation of Moroccan fossils has become as pronounced as importing Chinese fossils was in 90's , and is rife with fakes and expensive pseudo fossils. The sale of Mosasaurus "jaws' with composited teeth goes on constantly......and is generally a chunk of glue, sandstone, and pieces and odds and ends of bones all glued into a shape that resembles the desired fossil.

Your pieces are real, and not faked up junk so that is a plus. I think the price might have been steep given the example for sale on ebay, but then again, yours might have more shells , be more well prepared , and display better....eye of the beholder type thing I guess

The set on ebay has a make offer feature for it, suggesting a solid baseline price might be lower than the ask.When I as at Disneyworld, I saw a larger slab like this priced at 1200 dollars ...waiting to catch some unwary tourist
Post 951 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
I've recently moved and got all our frames and statues set up. I don't have any fancy stands for any of them but thought I'd share. I love production art for anime and comic books as you can see.

Grimlok, Hobgoblin, & Doomsday

All Dogs go to Heaven

Thanos

Galactus

Chicken Boo

Mike Manley art (Darkhawk & Sleepwalker)

Wakfu

Beauty & the Beast

How to Train your Dragon

Thanos & Spawn

Green Goblin Production art

Final Fantasy VI shadowbox

Warlock & the Infinity Watch production art
Post 952 IP   flag post
My latest painted miniature. I modified it a bit to make it a Red Sonja piece. I didn't finish the skull base because she is going to be a part of a diorama I am making. She will be fighting a Japanese Oni in a partially snowy field.

Here is the picture that led me to buy it.

A work in progress picture.

And the finished product ...

Post 953 IP   flag post
If you clear coat these painting projects, with a flat spray it will remove the glossy shiny look that on things like human figures does not really belong. It will make them look more flat and realistic
Post 954 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
If you clear coat these painting projects, with a flat spray it will remove the glossy shiny look that on things like human figures does not really belong. It will make them look more flat and realistic

Oh, I know. There is about three coats of high gloss on Red Sonja in that picture, none on the skull. I'm not sure what I want the end product to look like yet. I do have a satin clearcoat that I might use. These are all hand painted, not sprayed, due to my situation dictating that. I'm learning more and more as I do each one. It definitely is keeping me occupied!!
Post 955 IP   flag post
600646 999 30