Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

Grafting/replacement of MVS1197

Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
Guys -
I have been looking at a nice Hulk 181, but the page with the MVS appears slightly lighter than the other pages. Is this a sign of someone grafting the page from another book? Is there a way for me to verify that the MVS belongs to this book?
Let me know if you have ever experienced this before.
Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Post some pics IMO. I would first check the staples to see if they have been tampered with. Is it just the one page or does the opposite half look larger also?

Ive seen some books with irregular/oversized cuts of paper. Could be a production defect.

Could check for differences in PQ also.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Does the other page of that wrap also share the off coloring? If both pages of the wrap are a different shade than the rest of the book I'd say chances are good that the wrap was married from another copy to restore the MVS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
@jmh722 I may have a nice CBCS slabbed Hulk 181 for sale next week depending on the grade it comes back as, just in case you want something guaranteed. PM me what grade you are looking for, and I'll keep you posted.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Happens more than you think. I've popped open graded copies in order to have them pressed and regraded. The MVS was obviously married in a couple, not CBCS stuff, let's just say another company. I've also opened some comics and found restoration not listed. Glued splits, tape even! Guess that was before those were considered restoration. I've sent stuff to CBCS I was perfect, they found restoration.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jmh722 private msg quote post Address this user
@Maverick: Can't post pics since it's at the buyer's house. The other page is definitely the same color though. Staples look fine though. That's what's so confounding.
@Darkga: Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a high-grade raw

That being said, if anybody needs to relieve theirself of a high-grade IH 181 raw, let's discuss.
Thanks guys.
Post 6 IP   flag post
596796 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?