Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes I'll just randomly search Ebay and other areas for (sadly) deceased writers/artists/creators I loved that just enter my head. We see tons of Stan Lee autographs; we see a few Kirby autographs, spotty instances of many other various legends. We all know Ditko basically never signed.

But one fine gentleman that rarely gets discussed on the boards is Don Heck. He was certainly there at the birth of the Marvel Universe as we know it today in the very early days.

I would see him sometimes in a small Port Jefferson comic store in NY purchasing comics in the mid 80's. He lived out on Long Island and I was blessed to be able to talk to him a few times in the store.

A check just tonight revealed no signed closed auctions on any signed Heck comics; and only 2 active (1 I believe is a forgery; 1 is a legit VSP). It just seems odd to me that there seems to be so few autographs out there and even less of a demand? (guessing)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just had a look myself...yup that one is 100% a forgery...even possibly looks like maybe there was a legit one in pen that they traced over in marker/sharpie?

Not sure why there is less demand...maybe because he wasn't as prolific as others and unfortunately left us too early (only 66!) and before the Marvel movie explosion?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
It is sad that Don Heck is not regarded as highly as Kirby, Ditko and the other Marvel founding fathers. His work certainly merits it. Just look at the Avengers around the early 20s and tell me his work is not awesome!
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Legend!!! Co-created Iron Man and the Wasp!!

clickable text
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd been looking for a Don Heck signed book for a while. Thought I'd never find one, but I finally got this book raw last year and got it VSPed-

The sig on the inside-

Took forever to find one. Same with John Buscema, Marie Severin, Barry Windsor-Smith. I finally just got a Steve Gerber and Mark Gruenwald (both getting VSPed as we speak).

Interestingly enough, unlike the CGC census, the CBCS Population Report lists who signed the various books. No way to search by signee at the moment, but it'd be amazing if that ever became a searchable field.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ShallaBal private msg quote post Address this user
Don Heck is soooo underrated. His style was never flashy, but his noir-ish panels were perfect for those early Iron Man stories. Tony Stark was Errol-Flynn handsome, Happy had that great character face, as did Pepper originally, before she was glammed up--and how!...and let's not forget Heck also created the Black Widow. And I love Heck's Avengers stuff too, especially during the Kooky Quartet era.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I think of his work on the Avengers, probably because I have a few of those issues. Here are some issues he worked on: #26 - pencils for cover and interior art, #27 - inks for cover and pencils on interior art, #29 - pencils for cover and interior art.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Avengers #32 - pencils and inks for cover and interior art, #33 - pencils and inks for cover (with some alterations by Kirby) and pencils and inks for interior art, #35 - pencils and inks for cover and interior art.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Avengers #36 - pencils and inks for cover and interior art, #39 & #40 - pencils for cover and interior art, #47 - pencils for cover only.

Anyone else have some to share?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This is from my "execution" cover collection.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I have 2 Ka-Zar pages by Heck & Royer (purchased from Greg Koudoulian), but unfortunately Heck didn't sign either one.
In the 1st panel, we see an early Bobbi Morse appearance as she helps Ka-Zar- perhaps sewing his upper and lower body together lol. Sorry for the poor images.

Post 12 IP   flag post
600807 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?