Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Discoloration or Foxing?11928

Collector Supertom private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all! Just purchase this beautiful ASM #121 off eBay. I got a good deal so I took the risk. In hand it appears to be darn near flawless. Couple ticks next to the top staple and the production tears along the bottom (which I know don't count against the grade). The biggest detractor I can see is the slight discoloration/browning around the outside edge of the book, which is more noticeable on the interior cover. I don't think this would be considered foxing, right? Maybe just oxidation or browning of the pages. I just seems to be concentrated around the bottom and right side like maybe the original bag had a tear in it.

How badly do you think this would effect the overall grade? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe that's foxing, I see page tanning

could drop you .5, imo
Post 2 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Discolored/tanning
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Not foxing. Just tanning.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Supertom private msg quote post Address this user
I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info on the interwebs about tanning and how much it effects grade. The pages are not brittle or anything. Of course there's testimonials ranging from, "I've seen 9.4's with more than that!" to, "my book was perfect and they gave it a 7.0!!"
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
According to the CGC videos, comics with this level of tanning will top out at 8.5. That doesn’t mean it is always true in practice.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
This CBCS grade definition Addresses tanning. Just throw it out there.

VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 TO 7.5

9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.

Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
Some stress marks on spine.
A few small chips on the cover.
The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
According to the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide it is defined as a sun shadow. The exact definition is: "Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the corner was not covered by the comic immediately above it, and it suffered prolonged exposure to light."

Also known as dust shadow or oxidation shadow.

I believe this damage could happen in more ways than described in the guide.
Post 8 IP   flag post
597959 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?