Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASP

Damaged CBCS Order11886

Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
So I submitted 13 books that I painted remarques on. Some of these books were sold and the client paid a little extra to have the book encapsulated.

Well twelve of the thirteen books got damaged and because I never got so much as an email or a phone call telling me get my books were damaged I got charged and the books were encapsulated and now I'm left with a pile of garbage encased in plastic and I'm going to have to scramble to make it right for my clients.

This is especially confusing because I sent a sketch cover to CGC for a client one time. I filled out the paperwork and sent it to be submitted under his account and it got ran over by a forklift truck or something & CGC called the guy before they began the grading process and told him the book was damaged.

Does CBCS not so much as call if a box is damaged? For all I know the box got damaged while in CBCS custody. I'll never know.

All I know for a fact is that I now have a bunch of slabs that I can't do anything with. Pictured are four of the books that were easily 9.8 candidates when they were mailed out. All of the damaged books have the same top left corner damage. Just try to imagine my frustration.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. That’s scary.
And all hit on the same corner.
That is my biggest fear. I send mine in bagged & boarded then tapped to a piece of corrugated cardboard and then placed (two or three) at a time into a Gemini mailer then the mailers are bubble wrapped and and over packed in a oversized box and shipped FedEx ground.
This is heart breaking
Post 2 IP   flag post
@Gotlift I pack my books bagged/boarded, cardboarded in a corrugated comic box padded with bubble wrap. I have not had a single issue. In fact I have another CBCS order that should be here today or tomorrow with 33 books which yielded 22 9.8s and 4 9.9s.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Most likely carrier dropped/threw/people’s elbowed that package. Working in retail I’ve seen plenty packages fall out a truck when that gate is opened then chucked back in.

Sorry that happened that sucks. I recently had a package disappear; it went through a facility then dropped of the face of the planet.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism - The books definitely took a hit to that corner while they were all packaged together to get the same marks. That really sucks rocks. I do think you should have gotten a call from the person that received them at CBCS saying that the package had noticeable damage to one corner. Then you could have decided how to proceed from there.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
It does suck for sure but my guess would be that in this time of Covid19 and delivery services seeing Christmas level quantities while also facing quarantine conditions, sh!ts gonna get messed up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Sympathy and tears for your work and frustration. Dam, that 8.0 took it the worst and it LQQKed like a beauty too. This CAN'T be the first time this has happened and it WON'T be the last. If it happened in transport then photos to you and phone call would be right. If on site, you were owed at least complimentary pressing. Nobody should be working at CBCS and just think this is an OK way to treat a customer. Virus or not! New slabs, new labels don't mean a dam thing if this is OK.

Have you contacted CBCS for a possible solution?

Murphy's Law rears it ugly head. If i ever find him, I'll behead the SOB.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@esaravo Yeah Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Masochism - The books definitely took a hit to that corner while they were all packaged together to get the same marks. That really sucks rocks. I do think you should have gotten a call from the person that received them at CBCS saying that the package had noticeable damage to one corner. Then you could have decided how to proceed from there.

A call would have saved me time, money and the heartache of scrambling after all this time to make it right for my art collectors.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
Sympathy and tears for your work and frustration. Dam, that 8.0 took it the worst and it LQQKed like a beauty too. This CAN'T be the first time this has happened and it WON'T be the last. If it happened in transport then photos to you and phone call would be right. If on site, you were owed at least complimentary pressing. Nobody should be working at CBCS and just think this is an OK way to treat a customer. Virus or not! New slabs, new labels don't mean a dam thing if this is OK.

Have you contacted CBCS for a possible solution?

Murphy's Law rears it ugly head. If i ever find him, I'll behead the SOB.

I appreciate you being cool about this as I try to fix your book brother.

I messaged Darryl Hayden, but that guy is so accessible he probably has a full ass inbox across several platforms. He is only one man, what can I really expect him to do?

And did I call customer service? At CBCS?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
It’s one of my fears as well. One of my boxes getting damaged and then they get graded with the damage.

Sorry about you’re books
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I always understood that CGC wouldn’t touch a customer’s shipment if the package was damaged in transit, and the damaged package is returned to the customer.

If a grading company receives a damaged package, I don’t agree with going forward and grading the comics that were damaged in transit. Good customer service practice would be to contact the customer before moving forward with anything. Sorry to see that your books were damaged. Very frustrating, no doubt.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
I always understood that CGC wouldn’t touch a customer’s shipment if the package was damaged in transit, and the damaged package is returned to the customer.

If a grading company receives a damaged package, I don’t agree with going forward and grading the comics that were damaged in transit. Good customer service practice would be to contact the customer before moving forward with anything. Sorry to see that your books were damaged. Very frustrating, no doubt.

Thank you, for at least proving to me that I am not alone in that line of thought.
Post 12 IP   flag post
DELETED DOUBLE POST
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism definitely not alone....if CBCS received an impacted package that resulted in damaged books....a communique to the client should have ocurred.

Is it at all possible that the books inside shifted causing the damage without the outer box being impacted? Probably not I'm sure....just trying to make sense of a crappy situation.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@GAC I am not going to guess as to how it happened, but the fact that they graded books that were CLEARLY damaged is just bananas to me and I'm really at a loss here...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Ridiculous. Sorry to see this. There cannot be a good enough response for this.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
If they didn't take photos of the damaged package I don't see how you can make a claim for any insurance you purchased through the provider you used to ship the comics to CBCS. It appears CBCS will have to address if this falls under the insurance they provide for your comics while on their premises. Hopefully you chose to insure your comics for the estimated market value or somewhat close to the market value when you submitted your order to CBCS. I can't imagine they would ask you to pay for their grading services if they damaged your comics. I'm assuming if they were damaged before being grading and slabbed they would reimburse you for what you insured them for and send the comics back ungraded before they would ever consider grading them and charging you for it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
If they didn't take photos of the damaged package I don't see how you can make a claim for any insurance you purchased through the provider you used to ship the comics to CBCS. It appears CBCS will have to address if this falls under the insurance they provide for your comics while on their premises. Hopefully you chose to insure your comics for around the estimate market value when you submitted your order to CBCS.

I did, but it's pointless now because they have been encapsulated since I mailed them away.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I updated my previous post, but if I were you, paying for grading would not be an option. I'm sure CBCS will propose something reasonable.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Batworldfan private msg quote post Address this user
Epic fail by someone at CBCS!
Sorry, for your problem, I hope CBCS does what it can, to right this wrong.
Nice job with the photo's and grades, as someone new and still learning about grading, if CBCS had pressed the books, would it have made much of a difference in final grades?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batworldfan
Epic fail by someone at CBCS!
Sorry, for your problem, I hope CBCS does what it can, to right this wrong.
Nice job with the photo's and grades, as someone new and still learning about grading, if CBCS had pressed the books, would it have made much of a difference in final grades?

Without a doubt.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I have a question. I see "true believers" and "free comic book day" comics in those photos. Why get them graded? The value is your art. Why not the Art label? I am genuinely curious why you, the artist, would not go the Art label path on these less expensive comics.

I realize this has nothing to do with the dented corners. That is a completely separate issue. I'm not trying to minimize what happened. I'm just curious why choose grading for a piece of art.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I have a question. I see "true believers" and "free comic book day" comics in those photos. Why get them graded? The value is your art. Why not the Art label? I am genuinely curious why you, the artist, would not go the Art label path on these less expensive comics.

I realize this has nothing to do with the dented corners. That is a completely separate issue. I'm not trying to minimize what happened. I'm just curious why choose grading for a piece of art.

Having slabbed my remarqued books both for grading and ART I have found that my clients do not prefer the ART label. Like at all. So while I will still slab lower grade stuff as ART if the book presents high I will opt to get it graded as the price point is the same.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Any before pictures?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Man this whole thing sucks and reminds me why I fear packing up books. about 10 years ago I had a shipment to PGX that got the same treatment. They didn't take pictures or mention it, just graded the books. Really nice unread Silver Age books that were 9.4 range got 8.0's. Books like Nick Fury #1, Silver Age Captain Marvel #1, etc. Sorry man, sure would have been good if someone had photographed the box or recognized the pattern of damage and gave you a heads up.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism thanks for answering!! Personally, I prefer the Art label, but I can see doing what sells. I find it interesting that there would be a bias in favor of grading otherwise low value comics.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Any before pictures?

Yup

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Sympathy given, pain felt, acid tears shed for you the creator that did everything right - packed like a pro. No communication before they were graded is poor business practice and shows no concern for the paying customer. Wound is fresh, let's see how the response from CBCS comes to correct an obvious error. Then assurances that this situation won't be repeated.

Jagged little pill is still hard to swallow seeing the before and after.......

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Tough but yes I would expect CBCS to contact the customer if obvious that a box is damaged. That case the customer can also file insurance claim if insured
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS grades books. The books that are in front of them. Unless receiving alerts them that a box came in mangled, it is business as usual. Sadly, people making just above minimum wage will not take the initiative to bring this up. They get paid to open boxes.

Another thing is that the outside box, in some cases, may show little damage and the books inside will have impact dents like your examples do.

The only way this will take effect is if it’s made part of SOP.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600912 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?