Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkArt Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASP

Damaged CBCS Order11886

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism thanks for answering!! Personally, I prefer the Art label, but I can see doing what sells. I find it interesting that there would be a bias in favor of grading otherwise low value comics.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Any before pictures?

Yup

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Sympathy given, pain felt, acid tears shed for you the creator that did everything right - packed like a pro. No communication before they were graded is poor business practice and shows no concern for the paying customer. Wound is fresh, let's see how the response from CBCS comes to correct an obvious error. Then assurances that this situation won't be repeated.

Jagged little pill is still hard to swallow seeing the before and after.......

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Tough but yes I would expect CBCS to contact the customer if obvious that a box is damaged. That case the customer can also file insurance claim if insured
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS grades books. The books that are in front of them. Unless receiving alerts them that a box came in mangled, it is business as usual. Sadly, people making just above minimum wage will not take the initiative to bring this up. They get paid to open boxes.

Another thing is that the outside box, in some cases, may show little damage and the books inside will have impact dents like your examples do.

The only way this will take effect is if it’s made part of SOP.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
CBCS grades books. The books that are in front of them. Unless receiving alerts them that a box came in mangled, it is business as usual. Sadly, people making just above minimum wage will not take the initiative to bring this up. They get paid to open boxes.

Another thing is that the outside box, in some cases, may show little damage and the books inside will have impact dents like your examples do.

$288.00 means a lot more to some people than others. Personally, I can't afford to have a bunch of books slabbed with these low grades. If they were for my PC it wouldn't even matter, I am one of the few people who could care less about grades. But to those who collect my art and purchased these, it was under the belief that they would yield high grades. I now have to make good on my obligations to them, because I don't want to let people down. It's a shame that others don't do business with that same mindset.
Post 31 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics

$288.00 means a lot more to some people than others. Personally, I can't afford to have a bunch of books slabbed with these low grades. If they were for my PC it wouldn't even matter, I am one of the few people who could care less about grades. But to those who collect my art and purchased these, it was under the belief that they would yield high grades. I now have to make good on my obligations to them, because I don't want to let people down. It's a shame that others don't do business with that same mindset.

Not everyone has that level of integrity or professionalism. With the passing of time things are being lost, that is one of them.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
...about 10 years ago I had a shipment to PGX that got the same treatment. They didn't take pictures or in it, just graded the books. Really nice unread Silver Age books that were 9.4 range got 8.0's. Books like Nick Fury #1, Silver Age Captain Marvel #1, etc.

I may not be the first to ask, but are you sure they didn't just switch your books?
Post 33 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@Masochism Please PM me your name and best # to reach you at and I will see what I can do about this after the weekend when we are open. I only saw your thread because I came into grade today.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@sborock done. Cheers.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I think the CBCS ART label is bad ass.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
I think the CBCS ART label is bad ass.

I was excited when the ART label launched and have had several books slabbed with that label. However, books with my artwork on them that I sell I have gotten feedback and the general consensus is they'd prefer the grade.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
...about 10 years ago I had a shipment to PGX that got the same treatment. They didn't take pictures or in it, just graded the books. Really nice unread Silver Age books that were 9.4 range got 8.0's. Books like Nick Fury #1, Silver Age Captain Marvel #1, etc.

I may not be the first to ask, but are you sure they didn't just switch your books?

Nah, they were the same books but every one of them had the same big bruise in the upper left corner, same place as these books have the damage.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting dichotomy:
Artwork pages have pasted word balloons falling off; they have scribbling within margins and on the artwork, crushed corners, yellowed pages, and other major issues that make no difference at all in the value of the artwork. Most are "low grade" if one could grade the paper.

Fast forward to the advent of CGC/CBCS and folks are concerned that artwork is on a 9.8 comic for increased value? As if a 9.6 George Perez blank comic sketch is less than a 9.8 George Perez blank comic sketch? I just don't get it. A one of a kind piece of artwork and yet the number still matters?

I dunno - I guess the draw of those numbers on a label is like a fly to a purple lantern.

Now where is my Van Gogh painting ... I have to get it submitted for grading so I can get a 9.8. I think I'll get it pressed because it looks like a 9.4 unpressed

Side Note: those are beautiful pieces of artwork you have there. Really. Love em!
Post 39 IP   flag post
The art is reminiscent of the Shattered variants that are done in a mosaic style by ... I think the artist's name is DiMasi?
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The art is reminiscent of the Shattered variants that are done in a mosaic style by ... I think the artist's name is DiMasi?

The Marvel Comics 1000 is indeed a Shattered variant sent to me by my friend Matt DiMasi with his signature and my own, with an added Deadpool remarque. I painted Deadpool to look "shattered' to match the theme of the book.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Very well done. I absolutely love them all!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@GAC I am not going to guess as to how it happened, but the fact that they graded books that were CLEARLY damaged is just bananas to me and I'm really at a loss here...

I would think even if the box had little damage the backing boards should have been mangled, and that observation would be an appropriate reason to at least identify it to management whether the customer should be contacted.

The evidence most surely was there, but obvious no one was looking for it, or cared.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I would think even if the box had little damage the backing boards should have been mangled, and that observation would be an appropriate reason to at least identify it to management whether the customer should be contacted.

Yeah, that's got to be a core part of the training for whoever is unpacking boxes. You've got to photograph it and get ahead of it...get that information to the customer immediately and let them make a decision.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
Sympathy and tears for your work and frustration. Dam, that 8.0 took it the worst and it LQQKed like a beauty too. This CAN'T be the first time this has happened and it WON'T be the last. If it happened in transport then photos to you and phone call would be right. If on site, you were owed at least complimentary pressing. Nobody should be working at CBCS and just think this is an OK way to treat a customer. Virus or not! New slabs, new labels don't mean a dam thing if this is OK.

Have you contacted CBCS for a possible solution?

Murphy's Law rears it ugly head. If i ever find him, I'll behead the SOB.

I appreciate you being cool about this as I try to fix your book brother.

I messaged Darryl Hayden, but that guy is so accessible he probably has a full ass inbox across several platforms. He is only one man, what can I really expect him to do?

And did I call customer service? At CBCS?

Thank you for the kind words, I try to make sure I am accessible for anyone with CBCS issues to contact me.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@Darryl_H
@sborock

Something bad is going on with USPS right now and I'm concerned that the risk of shipping damage is higher than it's ever been. I'm buying a decent amount of insurance on everything I ship right now. We will need help from CBCS in recovering damages if they do occur. I'm really hoping your people in receiving are keeping an eye out for damaged boxes and photographing them when they come in. I hate to ask for an extra step, but given what's going on right now with weeks of USPS delays I would have the guys photographing the box and shipping label of everything that comes in before they open it.
Post 46 IP   flag post
598069 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?